Create Account

Getting the Call - WJC Edition

The SHL Network Special "Getting the Call - WJC Edition" tells the stories of hockey players getting called up to their National Teams for the first time in their own words. Today's vignette is from St. Louis Scarecrows winger Eric Hudson who just completed his rookie season in the SMJHL.

I was coming back from a couple weeks off following the season, time to get back to work.  I walked into the locker room and I noticed a blue jersey hanging in my locker. That seemed odd since our colors are red and gold. I pulled it out and there's a big USA across the chest. I glance around the locker room and I notice TJ [Trevor Johnson, defensman] has one hanging up in his locker as well.  

Suddenly, I hear clapping and cheering behind me. I turn around and Danny [Marston] and James [Ronlain] are standing there. "Welcome to the team, Rook." They pat me on the back a couple times and then hand me a thick envelope with a welcome letter, schedule, plane tickets and spectator tickets for the S52 World Junior Championships.  Apparently, the returning players had a heads up on who was getting added to the roster so they could welcome them in with style. 

A couple days later I got a call from the coaches, welcoming me to the team, but they also had a couple questions for me.  They had seen the tapes of me playing defense for the Quebec City Prospects tournament and asked if I'd be willing to do the same for the World Juniors. It sounded like I wouldn't get a lot of ice time as a forward, so I agreed. It'll be a good experience to work with the coaches on my defensive positioning and back-checking.  Ironically, being a defensive forward on defense translates roughly to an offensive defenseman, so it's possible I'll spend some time playing with the top line and on the powerplay. 

Skating with the prospects teams last year was a really unique experience but it's a whole different story to be repping your country on the big stage.  The US got knocked out early in last years medal round, so here's hoping that us new guys can contribute right away and help the team push further. 

With the SHL draft coming up this short and busy off season just got shorter and busier. Guess I better start packing!

[400 words]

[Image: hudson.png]

Ilike

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]