Create Account

Jack Kanoff - Post Draft Interview
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2020, 07:18 PM by jeffie43.)

1262 Words - 2x Draft Media

1. Congratulations on being drafted to the North Stars! What was your first reaction when you learned you were headed to Toronto?

Thank you so much. I was honestly really excited when I first heard that I was coming to Toronto. I started talking to ml a couple of days prior to the draft and we hit it off really well. I know there were some external forces at play too with Gabriel Johnson probably vouching for me and my activity in the Canadian LR but I was really happy when the decision was made to go ahead and select me with the 8th overall pick. Going top 10 was a huge honor in such a massive draft class like this one and I really do not plan on letting my foot off the gas pedal anytime soon. In all honesty some of the initial reactions did sting as people questioned ml’s drafting skills and the pick in general but it’s fine, just gives me a chip on my shoulder. 

2. How did the actual draft compare to your expectations of it? Did you go higher or lower than you expected? Any picks that surprised you?

In all honesty I had no idea where I was going. I could see myself going in the top 5 or falling to the back of the 1st round or even quite possibly the second round. It truly was a little bit spooky as it was the first draft that I was in where I had absolutely no idea where I was going. Hartmann falling all the way to Edmonton at 16 was definitely dirty. Gotta give credit where credit’s due, he’s been active (recently at least) in the rookie server and has been awesome to talk to.

3. What are your first impressions of the team? Are there any players you were drafted with or vets that you're excited to be playing with?

My first impressions of the North Stars were the fact that this team was not really ready to contend. No I’m not trashing my team or anything because I absolutely love them and my teammates are fantastic but it is also highly unlikely that Toronto wins anything this season. It is going to be important for me to stay patient while Toronto rebuilds in order to contend but I believe that we will be in very good shape with ml at the helm, he has been making the right moves (in my eyes) and I know there are other teams around the league that are aware of his GM skills as well.

I think if there is anyone I’m excited to play with it would have to be Axel Meszaros. I know I have been gushing a lot about ML throughout this entire interview but I literally cannot emphasize it enough, he is a genuinely awesome dude and it’s dope to be able to get the chance to play for him and with him.

4. What are you most looking forward to next season, whether it be your season in the SMJHL or watching the SHL team play throughout the season?

I am mostly looking forward to taking another step forward in my career. Last year I felt like I was snubbed from the All-Rookie team after putting up 20 points on 14% shooting percent and nearly getting 50 hits and blocked shots. This year I want to take a step up from that and become a contender for Defenseman of The Year. With a new build, more TPE and an improved team I am sure I could do better.

5. What does it mean to you to be playing for the Toronto North Stars? Are you excited by it or do you maybe feel more pressure because of it?

I am excited to be playing for the Toronto North Stars. I had initially heard stories about the LR but it took me mere moments in the LR to understand that they were either all false or simply just the public making jokes regarding the product of previous management. I do feel some pressure as my peers didn’t seem to have high expectations for me. Many thought I was not worthy of a top 10 pick, much less a first round pick but I am definitely determined to prove them wrong.

6. With a season of experience under your belt now after spending a season in the SMJHL, what do you think is going to be your biggest improvement from your rookie season?

With a full season under my belt I feel like I can be a better earner by knowing what to do and when to do it. During my rookie season I did not make the most out of the money I had and lost some TPE due to it, however this next season I will be smarter with my money and actually try to earn some outside of my contract.

Along with an improved sense of money, I also believe that I could be much more active this upcoming season. I think that a lot of rookies questioned my value because I was not active in the main servers and I want to try and change that moving forward.

7. What are your expectations for your team and your player this upcoming season? What about long term?

I want to win the 4-Star with Detroit and it’s really exciting knowing that we’re probably the favorites moving forward. This team is stacked from top to bottom and it’s going to be absolutely awesome playing with this group and for Nour and Tig for the next few seasons.

8.I know you were just drafted, but how do you feel like you fit in Toronto, both in the aspect of locker room atmosphere and position? How do you feel about being drafted to Toronto? 

I think I’m a great fit in Toronto personally. The LR is awesome and the people in it are great. Although I can be someone who’s super active and doesn’t shut up, I like how the LR is super chill and laid back. It allows me to focus on being the best player I can be and worry about my discord activity later. I’m excited to be able to get the chance to play for my hometown team and think it’s super awesome.

9. Are you worried about playing against your future teammates in the juniors? Do you think that will have a negative effect on you meshing with them in the shl? 

Absolutely not. They should worry about playing against me if anything. I am ready to tear it up in the SMJHL for the next few seasons. Jack Kanoff was a great rookie and was a few good games away from making it to the All-Rookie team. Aside from Toki Wartooth who is setup to have a great season along with Kanoff, the rest of the rookies are going to have to fear getting either scored on by Kanoff’s deadly slapshot, or getting drilled by him every time they have the puck.

10. Final question, how do you like the jerseys in Toronto?

I love them so much. The aways are clean and I love the maple leaf up the arm, it’s a subtle but beautiful touch to a nice jersey. Have I even mentioned how much I love the alternates? The little nod to the Mounties is fantastic. I feel like it would feel a little awkward wearing a sandy colored jersey on ice but I’m all for supporting my local mounties. Go Canada!

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl

I can't even read it
3/5

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

Rip dark theme users

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

dark mode gang in shambles

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

The darkness!

Mika Kandinsky Stars 

[Image: mika_kandinsky.gif]

Jeffie is goat

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]