Create Account

Draft prospect recaps his own season and personal growth (2x draft media)

Code:
15408 word, 2x draft media. All of it did not fit in one post, so the later part is in the first reply

Welcome everybody! To those that do not know me I am Taisto Jutila, a two-way forward playing for the Detroit Falcons of the SMJHL. I joined after the draft and was picked up as a DFA with just over 10 games gone in the season. So without having the time as a draft prospect and kind of getting put straight into the action. I wanted to have a way to follow my own progress and how the season went and also to get to learn about my teammates. So then I decided I would start writing small game recaps from my personal point of view, looking at how the team felt throughout the game and also how my personal progress and stats were from game to game. This is a way for me and for any scouts out there to see how Jutila really performed in every game this season and what type of progress he made. A sort of game by game analysis to better understand me and how I could fit into your systems in the future. For me this will be a nice recap of what my rookie season was like. I have attached the overall, offensive and defensive game ratings for every game and if there were any other noteworthy stats for that game, such as goals or assists and the like. 

This is also a short note of what I felt before I started this about my draft stock. I felt like I would probably be lost in the crowd, with only three GM’s reaching out to me when I joined the league, so maybe I would be one of those players drafted last. I had no knowledge of team needs as well. Once I have written all these recaps, I’ll give everyone the new view I have of myself. 

So this will start with my first game as a member of the Detroit Falcons Falcons Falcons

Game 13 - Oct 28 2019 / Detroit Falcons 3 - 5 Vancouver Whalers
GR: 53 OGR: 54 DGR: 49 

This was quite a game to be put in as a rookie free agent, just taken off the street. Overall it was quite an action packed game. Detroit got off to a hot start with two goals within a minute of each other in the 8 minute of regulation. First Guy O’Shea scores with an assist from Edward Williams. Just 39 seconds later Williams is again assisting a goal, this time Cal Labovitch putting the puck in the back of the net and Reid Sutherland joining in on the points. The Whalers were able to pull one back just before the end of the period with Jacob Rizzo scoring and assists to Nicholas Corrigan and Bryce McMahon. Zbigniew Pokrywka was the only other player marked for anything during the period, with a 2 minute minor for tripping. 

With 2-1 lead going into the second period, the Falcons saw it taken away from them. First Francois Breton scored with under 2 minutes gone in the period and assists to Stracimir Petrovic and Nicholas Corrigan. Then with just over 10 minutes played, Luffy Richard put the puck in the back of the net, this time the assist going to Sven Yxskaft. The Whalers had a good period and were able to kill off two penalties as well, both minors. The Whalers were able to hold onto the lead, scoring two more in the third period and taking home the victory. 

Overall it was a strange game with Detroit out shooting the Whalers 44 to 19, but the Whalers were clearly able to have better goaltending and be more efficient in front of the net. Looking back at my own performance, it was quite an uneventful first game for me. I was able to log in just under 11 minutes of ice time playing on the 4th line. I had one face off win which I am proud of and my plus / minus stats are still 0, which I will take instead of having any minuses there. A tough loss for the Falcons, in the first game for Taisto Jutila, hopefully this was just a blip in the season and I am no bad luck charm going forward.

Game 15 - Nov 1 2019 / Detroit Falcons 3 - 2 Colorado Raptors
GR: 56 OGR: 60 DGR: 49 G: 1 A: 1 +2

This was definitely a tight game between the Detroit Falcons and the Colorado Raptors, with the actio starting early. Joseph Fantobens took an early slashing minor with Bryce Turner following him into the other penalty box just over a minute later for a roughing minor. The first goal action was found 7:30 into the first period with Guy O’Shea getting the Falcons ahead and Fredrick Wanesly and Jack Kanoff credited with the assists. The Falcons added to their lead near the end of the period with Justin Womack scoring his second goal of the season and Cassidy Lhotsky and Taisto Jutila with assists. Oh my god, I got my first assist! I will just say that I am so proud as a player to be a part of the Falcons organization and thank them for this opportunity. 

Anyway the action continued into the second period and Colorado pulled one pack through Jean-Uhred Ragnarsson something scoring and Anrijs Asts and Tomas Grygera marked for the assist. The game is 2-1 for the Falcons heading into the final period. Under a minute into the final period and the Falcons make it 3-1 with Taisto Jutila putting the puck home, wait what? I SCORED MY FIRST GOAL. Ok this is amazing, but I will come back to it later. Assists marked to Cassidy Lhotsky and Toki Wartooth. The Raptors are able to pull one back with just under 4 minutes remaining, but Carlos Brown's strike is not enough and the Falcons end up winning 3-2. 

Looking back at this game, wow this is a proud moment for me and my whole family. I was able to get my first assist and my first goal in the same game! And my goal ended up being the game winning goal? Like this is one of those fairytale starts to a young man's career. I am just over the moon with this performance. In addition I was able to log just a bit more of ice time compared to my last game and won 9 of my 10 face offs. Overall, an amazing game and something I will cherish for the rest of my career or at least remember, something along those lines.

Game 16 - Nov 5 2019 / Detroit Falcons 2 - 3 Colorado Raptors
GR: 59 OGR: 56 DGR: 61

So here we are again with another game against the Raptors. After the game winning goal last time around, how will Taisto and the rest of the Falcons fare? Well the first period overall is quite an uneventful affair, with the only things to break up the game were a 2 minute minor for holding on Justin Womack and a goaltending interference call on Randen Skog. After the bore fest the second period was something quite else. First Edward Williams scores his 8th goal of the season on the powerplay after Noah Johns II got a minor for holding. The goal was assisted by Guy O’Shea and Cal Labovitch. This was 10 minutes into the second period. Just before the end of the period, the Falcons make it 2-0 with Joseph Fantobens scoring and assisted by Pokrywka and Suterhland. 

Things were looking good for the Falcons, but that would all change in the final period. First with just under 7 minutes played, Carlos Brown makes it 2-1 with assists from Hariken Urawa and Sven Svenson. Then 5 minutes later, Simothy Drunkebird makes it even stevens and gets assists from Sven Svenson and Bradley Barkov. This means that the game goes into a shoot out and what do you know, somehow the Raptors emerge victorious from it.

This was another one of those baffling games where the Falcons out shoot the Raptors 58 to 31, but still the Raptors end up winning the game. Did the Falcons lose their shooting gloves or did the Raptors gain some voodoo magic into their goalies? Taisto did not have as amazing a game as he did last time out against the Raptors. He was only able to win 5 out of 9 face offs and had one shot on goal in this 13 minutes of ice time. Lots of stuff to improve going into the next games.

Game 17 - Nov 7 2019 / Detroit Falcons 5 - 3 Maine Timber
GR: 57 OGR: 63 DGR: 51 G: 1 

After the stint against the Raptors, the Falcons are looking for revenge against the Timber, who they inexplicably lost to before. Overall there was much of the same in this game, as the shots battle went in the favor of Detroit to the tune of 50 to 17, I am starting to feel sorry for these goalies that are facing us! The first period was quite and action packed one overall! With just under two minutes gone, Kaarlo Kekkonen scores his 6th goal of the season and on the powerplay as Patrick Shepherd had just gone into the box for high sticking. Assists on this one go to Edward Williams and Cal Labovitch. 10 minutes later the Falcons made it 2-0 with Taisto Jutila putting it home. Ok, I will always do this when I score, but YEAH! Feels good to be scoring for my team. Assists on my goal went to Burlock Sulfurgold and Toki Wartooth. 2 minutes later the Maine pulled one back with Thicc Cheezy scoring and assists going to Indigo Trevino and Mikkel Asmus Sondergard. To make sure there are no doubts, Pokrywka makes it 3-1 Falcons near the end of the period and Sulfurgold and Topalo getting assists for that.

The second period was much the same for the Falcons with goals from Williams and Jmac N Cheese during the first 10 minutes of the period. Noteworthy for these goals was that Kaarlo Kekkonen and Fredrick Wanesly both got their 10th assists of the season while Reid Sutherland got his 13th! Will Windsor was able to pull one back for the Timber to make it a respectable 4-2 going into the final period. The final period was not the cleanest for the Falcons as they accumulated three minors (two slashing and one hooking) and the Timber pulled one final goal back near the end of the game, this time from Alexander Roach. Overall a nice 5-3 win that reflected the won shots on goal battle. Also another great game by Taisto with another goal and winning 3 of 6 face offs. I thought it might be hard to get used to the league, but Taisto has hit the ground running!

Game 18 - November 8 2019 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 1 St. Louis Scarecrows
GR: 60 OGR: 62 DGR: 57 G: 1 

After defeating the Timber, it was off to face the Scarecrow in their next epic battle in the SMJHL. The growing trend in all of these was that the amount of shots Detroit was putting up compared to their opponents. In this one, again the Falcons out shot the Scarecrow 35 to 19. The first period started off badly for the Falcons. First Sulfugold took a two minute minor for high sticking and almost straight after getting out of the box, Kriss Darzins scored his 6th goal of the game with an assist from Axel Meszaros to put the Scarecrows up 1-0. Just after the half-way point of the period, the Falcons were able to pull level with Fredrick Wanesly scoring on assists from Reid Sutherland and Jmac NCheese. I will never stop loving that name, you go NCheese! Other notables during the period were minors for Scarecrows Lockwood (tripping) and Falcons Williams (kneeing).

In the second period,all the important stuff happened because Taisto got another goal, his 3rd of the season. My god, I am a goal scoring machine so far! Like I would totally take myself in the first round of the draft because look what's happening, but then again that goes against my plan of trying to be the last person drafted. Then we move on to the 3rd period which was a god damn penalty fest. There were a total of 8 penalties called and they included two 5 minute major ones for Toki Wartooth and Elwulf Jeriksen. In the midst of all the chaos there were two goals scored by the Falcons which were both strangely in 5 on 5 action and not on the powerplay. Justin Wormack got his 3rd of the season and Jmac NCHEESE slotted home his 9th. Assists to Wanesly, Wartooth and Sutherland. So a nice win, I score my 3rd goal and the Falcons train keeps rolling on, I am liking this!

Game 19 - Nov 10 2019 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 1 Anaheim Outlaws
GR: 55 OGR: 55 DGR: 55 

For this game we are going to have a different look at it, instead of box scores, it is a stream recap. So after defeating the Scarecrows, the Falcons face off against the Outlaws. The first period starts off with two saves by Jobin to keep the game on level terms. Most of the shots seem to be against Jobin, but he is keeping the Falcons well in this game. As the period ages, the Falcons start to exert more pressure and are already winning in the shots battle, with their shots missing by mere inches, but we head to the second period with the score at 0-0. The second period continues much of the same, with all the momentum going in the direction of Detroit and them just missing them. Then finally with just 8 minutes played in the second period, after a period of pressure in front of the Outlaws net, Magnus Liljeström is able shoot the puck in, with assists coming from Edward Williams and Jmac NCheese. Then only 3 and a half minutes later, the Falcons made it 2-0 with Guy O’Shea scoring with assists coming from Cassidy Lhotsky and Justin Womack. Things are not looking good for the Outlaws, goalie Borro does his damndest to keep the Outlaws at only a 2-0 deficit heading into the final period.

The third period starts off with much of the same as the Falcons keep on pounding the Outlaws net and all the action is down at that end.Borro tries to keep things in hand, but one man can only do so much and in the end Magnus Liljeström adds to his tally and makes it 3-0 for the Falcons with an assist over to Frederick Wanesly. The rest of the period is really much of the same and Zoltan Topalo makes the score even prettier with assists from Luke McMaster and Jmac NCheese while Alex Petrenko somehow gets a goal in the last seconds of the game to screw over Jobin and his shutout. Shots ended up being 31 to 18 for the Falcons. I feel it was not the best game for me as I had my lowest amount of ice time and was only able to win 20% of my face offs. Thankfully I did have one takeaway so that makes it a bright spot, but much to improve on!

Game 20 - Nov 11 2019 / Detroit Falcons 5 - 1 St. Louis Scarecrows
GR: 61 OGR: 56 DGR: 68 

So ok boys and girls we are back to box score checking as it is much easier for me and there are still 30 games to go in the season. So in this encounter, the Falcons are back to take on the Scarecrows and the Scarecrows are definitely looking for revenge. The first period is mostly just all Falcons in the stat sheet. First the Falcons decide to take a look into the penalty box with minors for Edward Williams and Jack Kanoff. They look to be playing with their food as Frederick Wanesly scores short handed while Kanoff is looking at this nut sack in the penalty box. Assist is credited to Reid Sutherland (this is his 16th of the season!). Three minutes later Justin Womack makes it 2-0 and assist by Toki Wartooth. Kanoff takes his second penalty later on in the period and Scarecrows Tron takes one just before the end of the period.

The second period is more of the same, at least on the goal front. Before any of those are scored, I am able to take my first penalty in my SMJHL career with a 2 minute roughing call against me. Thankfully the boys hold up and then score goals in the 12th and 17th minute of the period. Scorers end up being Labovitch and Lhotsky with NCheese, O’Shea and Kanoff getting assists. So the game is 4-0 going into the final period and this is definitely the least action packed of them all. Kriss Darzins pulls one back for the Scarecrows early on in the period with assists off to Fraciszek and Lizard. The Scarecrows start looking like they can mount a comeback but Wanesly makes sure that there is nothing of the sort with the 5th goal of the game for the Falcons shortly after the halfway point of the period. A very tidy performance for the Falcons, even with Kanoff finding his way into the penalty box twice in the first period. I definitely did not have the best performances but overall my line did well and I improved my faceoff win percentage which is nice and a +2 in my plus and minus column does wonders. 

Game 21 - Nov 13 2019 / Detroit Falcons 6 - 2 Anaheim Outlaws
GR: 52 OGR: 51 DGR: 51 

Now we get to the final game of the sim for the Falcons. After beating up on the Outlaws the last time around, who will come out on top this time? The first period is quite a mellow affair. Edwar Williams gets a 2 minute minor for interference with almost 12 minutes played in the period. Then with just under 4 minutes left to play Frederick Wanesly makes it 1-0 for the Falcons with assists going to Sulfurgold and Topalo. There were not a large amount of shots in that period, but things started to heat up in the second period!. With only 24 seconds gone in the period, James LeBlond takes a 2 minute minor for roughing and the Falcons capitalize 9 seconds into the powerplay. Edward Williams scores his 10th goal of the season with Kaarlo Kekkonen and Cal Labovitch chiming in with assists. 4 minutes later Labovitch decides he wants in on the action and shoots the puck past the goalie, with Guy O’Shea and Kekkonen on the assists. To make sure the Falcons do not run away with it in the second period, Poks Halloway scores his second goal of the season with assists from Grant Thurber and Adriano Ippolito.

The game is 3-1 heading into the third period, and what a period it is. Inside the first five minutes we already have two goals. First Frederick Wanesly makes it 4-1 for the Falcons, before Ethan Price pulls one back for the Outlaws. We then go almost 10 minutes without any goals until Labovitch chimes in to make it 5-2 with assists from Wartooth and Williams. The icing on the cake is a goal by Jmac NCheese just 30 seconds later, Sutherland and Fantobens with the assists. A very nice end to a sim and a great 3 game win streak on it. It was great to see the guys play well as this was probably my worst game of the short season so far. Oh well, time to forget about it and onto greater things!

Game 22 - Nov 14 2019 / Detroit Falcons 7 - 1 St. Louis Scarecrows
GR: 54 OGR: 57 DGR: 51  A: 1

After the 5-1 victory over the Scarecrows a few matches back, the Falcons were looking to make the Scarecrows hurt again. That is what ended up happening as the Falcons were the more clinical team in front of goal, scoring 7 goals on 34 shots compared to the 1 goal on 24 shots by St. Louis. The Falcons were on the board early, scoring inside the first minute on a Guy O’Shea shot with assists from Edward Williams and Kaarlo Kekkonen. This was followed up by a goal 8 minutes later through Wanesly and assists going to Pokrywka and Sutherland. The Falcons could not be stopped even with Liljeström taking two different minor penalties in the period, definitely something that needs sorting out in training.

The second period was more of the same for Detroit. Wanesly added his second within 3 minutes, this time assisted by Fantobens and Sutherland.  Kekkonen then scored 6 minutes later with assists from Labovitch and Williams to make it 4-0 going into the final period. This would have been a bad but not disastrous result, but the final period was where it got ugly. First Pokrywka scores with 4:20 played in the final period with assists from Taisto Jutila and Justin Womack. Yay go me, my second assist, I was starting to worry what was happening with me. Then 3 minutes later Reid Sutherland made it 6-0 and assists coming from Sulfurgold and McMaster. Sasha Dangelcheck was able to salvage something for the Scarecrows and again ruin Jobin’s shut out by scoring with just under a minute and a half left to play. The Scarecrows were made to pay with a goal by Kekkonen with three seconds left to play to pad the stats. A resounding victory by the Falcons. I was able to provide an assist in just under 9 minutes of ice time so I feel like this was a good game for me as well, go Falcons!

Game 23 - Nov 19 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 2 Newfoundland Berserkers
GR: 52 OGR: 55 DGR: 50 

After their thumping of the Scarecrows and a short well deserved break, it was back to business against the Berserkers for the Falcons. They did not get off to the easiest start with Jukka Timonen scoring for the Berserkers just over six minutes into the match with assists from Ryuuji Minamino and Taisto’s lost cousin, Tinke Jutila. Other than that the first period was quite dry of action with only two minors being called, one for each side.

The second period on the other hand was quite a different beast in terms of action. JMac NCheese brought Detroit level with six minutes gone in the period, Sutherland and Wanesly chiming in with assists. 6 minutes later Patrick Twist put the Berserkers ahead with an assist going to Gavin Wallace. The Falcons were quick to get back on level terms and helped by Slatt Potts taking a hooking penalty. On the ensuing powerplay, Edward Williams scored with Kanoff and O’Shea getting points as well. From there on out it was all about the Falcons. With under 3 minutes to go in the period, Guy O’Shea decided he wanted in on the action and put the puck past Berserker goalie with assists going to Sulfurgold and Fantobens.

The third period had the Falcons leading 3-2 and the only notable action was Wanesly scoring with seven minutes gone in the period. Overall a solid and well deserved win for the Falcons. They definitely won the shot battle, 48 to 16, dished out more hits and were in the penalty box less. What made it close was the face-offs won and a larger amount of takeaways for Newfoundland. I had one of those games where I did not feel I contributed that much, but I am happy that the guys who are true playmakers were able to show their skills.

Game 24 - Nov 21 / Detroit Falcons 6 - 1 Newfoundland Berserkers
GR: 47 OGR: 53 DGR: 41 

After a short rest, the Falcons and Berserkers were back at it, with the Berserkers trying to get revenge and avenge their previous loss. The game got off to a very quick start with Jack Kanoff scoring for the Falcons inside the first minute, points going to Wanesly and Pokrykwa. Near the middle of the period Luke McMasters added another with assists going to Liljeström and Kanoff. Other than these, both sides were able to enter the penalty box through unsportsmanlike conduct and high sticking penalties. With the game only 2-0, it still looked like one that was for anyone's takings, but the Falcons changed that in the second period. First Cal Labovitch scored with under two minutes gone in the period, assisted by Zbigniew Pokrywka. Kaarlo Kekkonen then added one near the end of the period through assists by Pokrywka and Edward Williams. 

Going into the final period, it was 4-0 for the Falcons and it looked like the Berserkers had turned themselves in for the night. Renji Atake tried to get something going for the Berserkers, scoring with six minutes gone and assisted by Red Arrow. Any hopes were dashed with goals from Edward Williams and Luke McMasters to make the final score a little more ugly 6-1. Again this seems like a similar victory to the last game as Detroit won the shot battle 37 to 17 and were in the penalty box less. So lesson to everyone, shoot the puck and do not take penalties. My performance was something to forget and it was my line that let in the only Newfoundland goal, definitely back to the drawing board.

Game 25 - Nov 22 2019 / Detroit Falcons 2 - 1 Carolina Kraken
GR: 55 OGR: 56 DGR: 55 

Having now done quite a few game summaries, this was quite the different summary compared to many before. I had gotten used to how Detroit would pour in the goals and the goal differential in games was easily somewhere between 3 and 5 on average. Now let me start this off with this stat, Detroit had 64 shots on goal and Carolina had 9. Nine shots on goal! One would assume that this meant Detroit beat up on Carolina 7-1 or something, but fear not readers (or Carolina fan) this was not the case. The first period was only 4 minutes old when Vitek Vitecek scored for the Kraken through assists by Erik Johansson and Stein Nilsen. The Kraken seemed content with their lead and the rest of the period was just onslaught after onslaught on the Kraken goal by each line of the Falcons. They shot and shot and shot but nothing seemed to come of it. They continued this into the second period, but nothing seemed to be working. Then finally with just over 3 minutes left in the period, Zoltan Topalo was finally able to break the Kraken barrier and was assisted by Magnus Liljeström and Jack Kanoff.

One could think this was where the always mentioned ketchup bottle or floodgates would open, but all credit to Carolina, they kept it close. The Falcons would only get one more goal in the third period, scored by Burlok Sulfurgold and an assist going to Joseph Fantobens. In the end only a 2-1 victory, but somewhat of a miracle that the score did not get more out of hand. Taisto had one of his usual hard working shifts but nothing other to really note about, at least he won more face-offs than he lost.

Game 26 - Nov 28 2019 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 2 St. Louis Scarecrows
GR: 55 OGR: 53 DGR: 56 

So after a nice 6 day break, the Falcons are back at it again, this time facing off against the Scarecrows yet again. I think we definitely know what the Falcons think of the Scarecrows, who are not doing that badly this year, by seeing who they put in the net. It is Thor ladies and gentlemen! Nothing against Thor, he is a young stud who will become a superstar one day, but he is still a raw prospect. They could have put in Jobin, but instead see that they can beat the Scarecrows anyway so why not give the young guy some experience. Anyway, lets see how it plays out for the Falcons. The Falcons get off to the fast start with Reid Sutherland scoring with under 5 minutes played, assisted by Jmac NCheese and Zoltan Topalo. The first period seems to be uneventful otherwise until Edward Williams scores in the final minute of the period, with assists coming from Kaarlo Kekkonen and Jack Kanoff.

The second period starts off slow but after the half-way point, Kriss Darzins pulls one back for the Scarecrows, with Trey Nets getting an assist point. The Falcons were not going to take any of that with Zoltan Topalo making it 3-1 just two minutes later, this time Sulfurgold and McMasters getting in on the action. To make it crystal clear who was the better team, Kaarlo Kekkonen scored his 10th goal of the season with assists coming from Toki Wartooth and Luke McMasters. The third period seemed devoid of action save a late consolation goal for the Scarecrows scored by Grapefruit Lizard and assisted by Elwult Jericsson. Overall it was a nice road win by the Falcons. They dominated the shots on goal battle, 36 to 20. The Scarecrows were able to muscle themselves and get more hits and win more faceoffs (by a large margin) but it seemed to matter for naught in this encounter. Myself, I was able to put in 8 shifts during the game and again had more face off wins than losses, so I will count that as a win. I am happy I am not putting the team in any of a worse position overall and I will keep on chugging ahead.

Game 27 - Nov 29 2019 / Detroit Falcons 7 - 2 Maine Timbers
GR: 54 OGR: 61 DGR: 50 

So after beating on the Scarecrows, the Falcons start taking things seriously when against the fearsome Timber, by putting Jobin back in goal. This game is one of those ones that any Maine fans that made the trip to Detroit are not happy at all. The game gets off to a quick start with Zolta Topalo scoring inside two minutes assisted by Magnus Liljeström and Guy O’Shea. This goal comes on the powerplay as Konrad Danke decides to make a huge IQ play and get an interference penalty 6 seconds into the game. The Timber pull back level with 13 minutes gone in the period, through a Kyle Sutton goal. This type of level pegging is short lived as under 3 minutes later, Topalo scores his second of the night, this time assisted by Zbigniew Pokrykwa and Reid Sutherland. The Falcons added to the Timbers misery before the end of the period with a goal from Kaarlo Kekkonen to make it 3-1 Falcons.

The second period is much of the same, although the action is limited to the second half of the period. Edward Williams scores with just over 10 minutes played with Fantobens and Sutherland getting in on the points. Luke McMasters adds another 4 minutes later with assists from Sulfurgold and Labovitch. Valentin Kalashnikov makes it more respectable with a goal just 14 seconds later. Williams adds his second of the night near the end of the period and the game is 6-2 going into the final period. The final period is quite uneventful compared to the first two with only Kaarlo Kekkonen getting on the scoresheet. Overall a well deserved victory for the Falcons who won the shots on goal battle 56 to 16, as seems to be the case in almost every game. The Timber did not help their case by amassing 10 penalty minutes. I had a quiet game and my only notable addition was getting into the penalty box in the final period when things were getting boring.

Game 28 - Dec 1 2019 / Detroit Falcons 6 - 3 St. Louis Scarecrows
GR: 56 OGR: 56 DGR: 55 

After facing the Timber, it is time again to beat down on the Scarecrows. This time in St. Louis and the home crowd was not in for a treat that is for sure. I will say that the first period was jam packed with action! It started off as a Falcon show with Kaarlo Kekkonen capitalizing on the powerplay, after Flash Gordon got his 2 minutes for interference with 2 minutes gone. Then just after the halfway point of the period, Guy O’Shea made it 2-0 with Wanesly getting an assist. Edward Williams made it 3-0 under 2 minutes later and things were starting to look bad for the Scarecrows, would this be another huge blowout? Sasha Danglechek had other ideas, putting away his 12th goal of the season just 16 seconds later with assists from Kasius and Marston. Danny Marston then got on the scoresheet himself near the end of the period with Danglechek turning provider this time around. It was now 3-2 and momentum seemed to be going in the Scarecrows favor until Reid Sutherland drowned the hopes of all Scarecrows with a buzzer beating dagger to the heart.

4-2 was the score going into the second period which was quite tame compared to the 6 goal fest fans got to witness in the first period. It was much more of a penalty fest with Marston getting a good look at the glass through two minor penalties and Sulfurgold getting one of his own. Topalo was also able to score right at the start of the period to make it 5-2 when heading to the third. The third was much of the same, this tim it was the Falcons who seemed to want to get to know the penalty box a little better with two tripping penalties and Edward Williams getting a 10 minute major for misconduct. Now that is something that Coach Tig will have to have a word about after the match. Both sides were able to get a goal each during the final period to make the final score 7-3. Again not my most memorable game, but was able to get more shots off, although I think it's more shooting practice for me as I was not able to get them on goal for the most part. 3 out of 4 face-offs won so that is also a plus. 

Game 29 - Dec 3 2019 / Detroit Falcons 1 - 2 Carolina Kraken
GR: 55 OGR: 52 DGR: 59 

After a long hot streak that seemed to be lasting forever, it was time for it to come down in spectacular fashion, with an away game against the mighty Kraken. The game started off very well for the Falcons, with Jack Kanoff getting on the scoring sheet within 2 minutes, this time assisted by Kaarlo Kekkonen and Guy O’Shea. This was of course scored on the powerplay, as Dwight Knight had gotten a two minute minor for boarding inside the first minute. Other than that, the first period was quite uneventful with the only other thing worth of note was Edward Williams two minute holding minor.

The second period was only 22 seconds old when Patricia Reichard scored for the Kraken with assists coming from Kwame Dakari and Bobby Bergen. Detroit tried really hard to get into the match and had ample opportunity after Kraken's Stein Nilsen took a 5 minute major for an illegal check to the head. Unfortunately they shot themselves in the foot with first Reid Sutherland taking a 2 minute minor for goaltending interference to leave the teams at even strength and then Justin Womack taking a 2 minute interference minor along with a 10 minute major for misconduct to really ice the period. The third period was largely Detroit shooting at the Kraken goal but with no end product. Then as all these types of games end, Vitek Vitecek scores for the Kraken 18 seconds before the end of the game with Adam Friedland and Michael Lee assisting to hand the Falcons their first loss in god knows how long. Looking at the statistics, the Falcons outshot the Kraken 37 to 16 but were able to dish out fewer hits and had 11 more penalty minutes than the Kraken so that is definitely what cost them.

Game 30 - Dec 5 2019 / Detroit Falcons 2 - 5 Carolina Kraken
GR: 48 OGR: 49 DGR: 46 

So two days after taking a painful loss against Carolina that ended their thirteen game winning streak, the Falcons are back in there for revenge, this time on home ice. The game does not get off to the best start with Ambacas Cuddles scoring inside the first minute, assisted by Lee samson and Vitek Vitecek, the villain from the previous game. The period was otherwise dominated by the Falcons but went from bad to worse before the period was over as Velveteen Dream scored inside the last minute and a half with assists on Dwight Knight and Jimmy Wagner. And then 14 seconds before the end of the period, Toki Wartooth goes and gets a hooking minor and a 10 minute misconduct major.

The second period was all Kraken. With just under six minutes played, Rinako Yukikami made it 3-0, assisted by Lee Samson and Vitecek. With still over half the period to play, the Kraken had made it 5-0 with goals form Dream and Knight and assists from Wagner, Knight, Dream and Van Dijk. This was not pretty viewing at all for any fan in the home crowd on the night. The final period was more of a formality and the Falcons put two goals up to make the score look more respectable. First Kaarlo Kekkonen scored and assists going to O’Shea and Williams. That was followed up by a goal from Jmac NCheese which was assisted by Frederik Wanesly and Reid Sutherland. Overall this was a disaster of a game for the Falcons on the scoreboard and was mostly decided by the penalties. Detroit had more shots on goal, was even in hits and giveaways and still got their butt kicked. How fickle the sim gods are at times.

Game 31 - Dec 6, 2019 / Detroit Falcons 7 - 0 Newfoundland Berserkers
GR: 55 OGR: 54 DGR: 55 

So after a painful streak of two losses to one of the worst teams in the league, in Carolina, it was back to action just a day later against the Berserkers. Would this be a bounce back game for the Falcons or is this the new normal for them? The first period was not able to show one way or the other with the only action coming in the form of a goal for Jack Kanoff with just over 12 minutes gone and points spread to Frederik Wanesly and Reid Sutherland. The second period was the defining moment for the game and showed what the way would be forward for the Falcons.

With just under seven minutes gone in the period, Luke McMasters makes it 2-0 for the Falcons with points going to Sulfurgold and Topalo. With the period at its halfway mark it is now 3-0 for the Falcons, this time Cal Labovitch in on the scoring with Guy O’Shea helping. This started to go from bad to worse as 3 minutes later it was Edward Williams on the scoresheet and Kekkonen along with Liljeström helping out with assists. To really pile on the Falcons scored two more times before the end of the period to make it 6-0 after two periods. With this everyone could see that the Falcons were angry and were not letting anything get to them, even after the defeat to the Kraken. The final period was not that eventful, with Williams getting his second goal of the game and assisted by Kekkonen and Sulfurgold. Wartooth felt like having a bit of fun and getting two different minor penalties called against him. Overall a dominating game by Detroit as they won the shots on goal battle 45 to 16 and never looked like they were losing the game at any stage, let us see if this continues. 

Game 32 - Dec 9 2019 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 2 Anaheim Outlaws
GR: 52 OGR: 56 DGR: 49 

So coming off of a total shut out of the Berserkers and really getting all that angry energy out of their system, what would this game look like for the Falcons? Well the first period definitely did not look too action packed with the only action in the first half coming from penalties against me and Cassidy Lhotsky, meaning that the Falcons had to endure a minute and a half period of 5 on 3 hockey. They did well to kill those penalties off. Nearing the end of the period, the Outlaws had a clear lead in shots but just as the period was going to end, Toki Wartooth put the Falcons ahead with Jmac NCheese and Guy O’Shea getting in on the party.

The second period was quite a tight contest. First Taylor Johansson tied the game at 1-1 with assists to Ziggy Tambo and Alex Petrenko. After that it was back and forth action for most of the period, with the atmosphere very tense and both sides not wanting to give up too much. Then with under 5 minutes left to play in the period, Jack Kanoff scored to make it 2-1 Falcons, would this be the start of the end? Ethan Price had other ideas with a goal in the last two minutes of the period, this time Andreas Stacks grabbing the assist So everything was still to play for entering the final period tied, now this was getting interesting!

The Outlaws did themselves no service as Ziggy Tambo got himself into the penalty box within the first 15 seconds of the final period for goaltender interference. The powerplay was only 30 seconds old when Cal Labovitch scored to make it 3-2. This seemed to take a lot of the wind out of the Outlaw sails and the momentum had shifted towards the Falcons. Edward Williams then put the icing on the cake with a goal in the last quarter of the period and the final score was 4-2. A hard fought win for the Falcons, where they again won the shots on goal battle and finally a game where they were better on the boards and hits along with winning most of the face offs, yeah go Falcons! For myself I had one of my worst defensive performances but was able to muster two shots on goal, so I got that goin for me. 

Game 33 - Dec 10 2019 / Detroit Falcons 3 - 1 St. Louis Scarecrows
GR: 52 OGR: 49 DGR: 54 

After beating up on the Outlaws, it was time for a tough matchup against the Scarecrows, who will definitely be future playoff opponents for us! I had been on a bad run of games so far so I was hoping to make strides forward. The first period was mostly a slugfest between the two teams with us trading big hits and in the end penalty minutes as well. First Burlok Sulfurgold takes a boarding minor early in the game and then Frederik Wanesly adds a slashing minor to the mix. Scarecrows also wanted in on the action with a goaltender interference minor just before the end of the period. We were feeling a bit shaken after the first period with the Scarecrows leading in shots which was mostly due to us being in the penalty box. So going into the second period we were looking to get back into the groove of things and I think we were able to do that. It took us a while and we were not helped with Pokrywka taking a tripping penalty within 8 minutes. It was an even period once Pokrywka got back on the ice from the penalty box then finally we made something happen near the end of the period. Edward Williams was able to get us the lead with a great goal with just over 3 minutes left in the period, assisted by Cal Labovitch and Cassidy Lhotsky! So going into the final period, we were up 1-0 in so far a very close game.

The final period was much more action packed compared to the other two. Within the first minute, Cal decided that he also wanted to get in on the scoring action and put one in the net, assisted by Kaarlo Kekkonen and Jack Kanoff. We were feeling really good about ourselves at this point, but as they say never count your chickens before they hatch. Mega Tron made sure the rest of the game was a nailbiter by making it 2-1 with just under 5 minutes left to play in the game, assisted by Flash Gordon and Alex Beyer. It was tight till the end, but we put the icing on the cake with Guy O’Shea scoring in the final minute and assisted by Topalo and McMasters. This was another one of those games that I do not think I need to revisit. I was basically a body on the ice and nothing more than that, but as I always say, at least I did not cause any mistakes so I guess I can hold my head high?

Game 34 - Dec 12 2019 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 1 Newfoundland Berserkers
GR: 60 OGR: 58 DGR: 61 

So far our games against Newfoundland this season have been all won by us, so going into this game I was feeling quite confident and Newfoundland had not been on the best run recently as well. Looking back this had one of our usual games written all over it. During the first period we already started taking a large lead in the shots on goal department and what did this lead to? Well absolutely nothing other than a bunch of saves for the opposition goalie. I know the shots totals were partly great due to the two different minor penalties that the Berserkers took, first with Matthew Forrester just 18 seconds into the game and then Jukka Timonen in the 8th minute. We also got in on the penalty action with Sulfurgold taking one after the halfway point of the period. Going into the second period we were wondering, what do we have to do to get some goals in this game? It seemed that the Berserkers had the answer for us, just get luck! Ryuuji Minamino was able to squeeze one past Jobin in the 3rd minute of the period that had all of us scratching our heads. Well forward we must march as they say.

So heading into the final period, we were looking at a 1-0 deficit which we wanted to climb back from and we were determined to make it so!! You could see it from everybody's face in the locker room when we started to head back to the ice. This showed in our determination and maybe we were able to get under the skin of the Berserkers as my name sake Tirke Jutila took a holding call in the 4th minute. Then countryman Jukka Timonen joined him in the penalty box 23 seconds later. With a 5 on 3 powerplay we made sure to make it count with Reid Sutherland evening up the scores. We did not let the intensity drop and 3 minutes later Zoltan Topalo put us in the lead and we never looked back! Topalo added his second in the 12th minute and finally Cassidy Lhotsky put the final nail in the coffin to make the final score 4-1, what a comeback from us! I also finally had a good game for once with my line scoring for the first time in a while. I also was able to add 3 shots on goal and be a face off winning monster which is definitely something I am looking at improving. I know most of my stats wont show up anywhere but as long as my line is not giving up goals, I am happy.

Game 35 Dec 16 2019 / Detroit Falcons 2 - 0 Maine Timber
GR: 56 OGR: 57 DGR: 56 

After a tough win over the Berserkers, it was back to grind again against the Timber who we had played well so far this season. We were definitely looking to keep the form we had so far after our two tough losses to Carolina and not let it drop. I was also looking to keep my form from my last game. The first period started slowly with both sides trying to figure each other out and within the first 10 minutes there were not really that many clear cut chances or shots on goal. Things started to change after the halfway period as first Luke McMasters put the puck behind Saarinen to make it 1-0 with an assist going to Zoltan Topalo. Under two minutes later and it was 2-0, this time Magnus Liljeström was on the scoresheet and assists going to Jack Kanoff and Justin Womack. Other than that there was nothing really noteworthy happening in the first period, well other than me getting more penalty minutes! It is always interesting to see the inside of the penalty box, this time for goaltender interference. 

So going into the second period, we were feeling confident of ourselves, we were clearly the better team as we saw in the first period and wanted to keep going. The second period was basically what the first period was without the goals. It was us just pounding away at the goal of the Timber, with shot after shot. I think we recorded about 20 shots in the period and Maine registered 0, a big old zero. The only things of note happening were 3 minor penalties near the end of the period. In the locker room we were definitely debating whether the Timber goalie, Olli Saarinen Jr. had been fed some type of concentration drug to enhance his performance, the evidence was clearly out there on the ice.

Determined to add to the scoreboard, we set out for the third period. In the end this was an even more drab affair than the previous period, with nothing happening! We pounded away at Saarinen Jr. but to no avail and the Timber put up 3 shots and no one got in the penalty box, snooze period for sure! Overall another normal Falcons victory, absolutely decimate them in the shots on goal department but be out hit by a big margin. At least I was glad that my performance level was at a similar level to the previous match and I had four shots on goal and was winning most of my faceoffs so lots of good stuff that I can build on going forward!

Game 36 - Dec 18 2019 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 2 Colorado Raptors
GR: 52 OGR: 54 DGR: 49 

So will it be more wins for the Falcons going forward? A home game against the Raptors sounds like an easy affair, but one can never know. The game for us got off to a great start with Frederick Wanesly scoring inside the first minute and assisted by Jmac NCheese along with Kaarlo Kekkonen. The next 10 minutes we made hard for ourselves by picking up two different minor penalties, first for O’Shea and then for Womack. Luckily Asts joined us from the Raptors side in the penalty box. Things were looking good, we were leading 1-0, the Raptors had not mustered a shot on goal yet even with two different power play opportunities and then well Falcon luck hit. With their first meaningful shot on goal, the Raptors put it past Thor Odinson with under a minute left in the period, Sven Svenson the scorer. We were all pretty dumbfounded how we can be 1-1 heading into the second period with how everything played out. Oh well we thought, not use in complaining but to just show them we are the better team.

Right out of the gate we made sure that the Raptors understood who was the better team on the ice. At the 3 minute mark, Guy O’Shea made it 2-1 with Cal and Pokrywka on the assists. Then four minutes later Womack was on, this time assisted by Lhotsky and Wartooth. Finally some breathing room for our team, which though was not long lived. Just two minutes later, Asts made it 3-2 and clawed one back for the Raptors, this time Svenson on the assist. This was all that would happen in the period, but man we felt like going into the third period, 3-2 was not a score that flattered us at all. To start the final period off we put the game to bed quickly with Jmac NCheese scoring inside three minutes on the powerplay. First Sulfurgold got a minor for charging after three seconds. We were able to kill that PP and in the last second of that, Drunkebird got himself a minor for the Raptors. So 35 seconds later and Jmac is there scoring. So a nice 4-2 win but a lot harder than we thought. We beat them up on the boards and in the shots on goal department quite handily so I say well deserved win. I was not able to carry my previous high level of performance to this match and came crashing back down to earth, but I guess I won the majority of my face offs?

Game 37 - Dec 19 2019 / Detroit Falcons 3 - 1 Newfoundland Berserkers
GR: 58 OGR: 52 DGR: 63

So back at it again against the Berserkers, this time away from home. We heard that we might have clinched playoffs with our previous win, but you know, why not make sure of it with this win? We got off to another slow start, which seems like it for every game recently. Thankfully just as we got over the halfway point of the period, Jmac NCheese put us in front on the powerplay with assists from Topalo and O’Shea. This had been preceded with a two minute minor on Gavin Wallace due to tripping. This definitely lifted some pressure off of us and it showed as we piled on more shots in the second half of the period. This type of pressure was evident in the first half of the second period as well but then Burlok Sulfurgold took an unfortunate two minute minor for hooking and it was punished within two seconds! Steve Harrington scoring on the powerplay, assisted by Matthew Forrester. 

So 1-1 going into the final period was interesting as we felt as though we were definitely the better team and we were only even because of a stupid penalty. Well in the third period we were definitely able to wrong our rights. We did not make it easy for ourselves, as first Toki Wartooth took a hooking penalty in the third minute. We were able to kill that powerplay and shortly afterwards Jmac decided to take a hooking for himself too. Well we decided to show that we are not the best team in the league by chance by scoring short handed, this time Jack Kanoff in on the act, with Williams and Wartooth on the assists. After finally taking the lead we never relinquished it and added a third in the backend of the period, with Toki Wartooth scoring, assisted by Luke McMaster and Zoltan Topalo. I feel like this was another well deserved victory, as we dominated the shots on goal battle and were overall the more dominant force in the game. I was also pleasantly surprised with my game. It does not show up on the stat sheet but I was able to hold my own and really limit the chances that the Berserkers were able to get while my line was out on the ice.

Game 38 - Dec 23 2019 / Detroit Falcons 5 - 4 Colorado Raptors
GR: 55 OGR: 54 DGR: 58

After a small break which included beating up on Newfoundland, we were back facing off against Colorado. Last time out we did not have the easiest time, but we were looking to make it a more clear cut victory for us this time. We looked to be getting off to the best start with Magnus Liljeström scoring with 5 minutes played, this time assisted by new signing Henrik Lundqvist Jr. and Luke McMasters. Henrik has just joined our locker room after the trade we made and has already been great in the locker room, so seeing him get his first points as a Falcon was just awesome! After that though, things turned a bit sour. Just before the halfway point of the period Bryce Turner evened up the scores with Sven Svenson and Simothy Drunkebird on the assists. Later in the period we started taking unnecessary penalties, both surprisingly to Edward Williams. First he took a hooking minor and just after he got out of the box, he took one for boarding. The first one did not cost us, but during the second penalty and just 10 seconds before the end, Sven Svenson was able to put the Raptors ahead 2-1.

This was not the best way to go into the second period, but we knew we were the better team and we just needed to show it. Everyone was really pumped going out on the ice. It took a bit to get started as the first half of the period was just a game of tug and war between the teams. Then finally at the halfway point of the period Kaarlo Kekkonen and assisted again by Hank, our man and also Topalo. Evening the game p to 2-2 really made me feel more relieved and relaxed about it. The 5 minutes later we made it 3-2 with Topalo getting on the scoresheet. Things were not rosy for a long time as first Williams took his third minor of the game just 30 seconds later and the Raptors made us pay. With a minute played of the powerplay, Drunkebird scored to even it up at 3 a piece. Thankfully we all love Edward, that magnificent bastard because he atoned for his own mistake a few minutes later by putting us ahead and assisted by Liljeström and Labovitch. 

So that was the second period, quite action packed. I was there at times just making up the numbers it felt like, but our line did our thing so that is what was important. Going into the third period we felt a little more relaxed, but I think that was our downfall. With under 2 minutes played in the period, Georgy Gorbachenko scored for the Raptors to even it yet again, 4-4 and what a thriller!. We were shitting bricks when Pokrywka took a holding penalty a minute later, but we survived that penalty kill. Then with 8 minutes left to play in the game, Kaarlo Kekkonen scores the winning goal to lift the Falcons to yet another victory! What a game by everyone and I am mostly thankful that it is over. It was one of my better games, but man was the adrenaline pumping.

Game 39 - Dec 27 2019 / Detroit Falcons 3 - 4 Kelowna Knights
GR: 51 OGR: 53 DGR: 49

So after a short little Christmas break on which I got to quickly see some family, it was back to the action. I guess we were still feeling the Christmas food and other goodies in our stomachs, because we were some slow starters. With just over a minute played, Jaska Seppälä put the Knights in front. Then we looked to be ripe for another with Topalo taking a holding penalty a few minutes later. Thankfully the Knights were not able to capitalise on this advantage. Unfortunately they were able to have Gylfi Eriksson score in the 15th minute with Barbashev II and Rocco Berni in on the assists. Well this was not the Detroit I knew and coach Tig was getting extremely animated on the sidelines and I will spare the readers the colorful language, but it was to the extent that his grandmother could play better than us. This seemed to work as within 2 minutes we had pulled one back, through Sulfurgold. Then just before the end of the period Sutherland made it 2-2 with an assist from Pokrywka. After trailing, it was a good feeling being able to go in level at the end of the period!

We had some good energy and drive coming out on the ice, but I think we channeled it into the wrong things. We took 2 minor penalties in the first 3 minutes, with Wanesly and surprise surprise, Williams, which meant that we were playing 5 on 3 hockey for 40 seconds, but thankfully this did not cost us. Then Jack Kanoff took a third penalty in the 14th minute and this was punished with Barbashev scoring on the ensuing powerplay to make it 3-2. I think we let this get to us too much as we lacked any energy in the third which showed as Simon Takshak scored with 21 seconds gone in the final period to make it 4-2. We were able to grab a consolation goal through Cal in the final minutes of the game, but it was not enough and the Knights came away with a 4-3 victory. Funnily enough we still won the shots on goal battle, albeit with a small margin. This was also one of my worst defensive games as a Falcon and overall gave me a lot to focus on in training.

Game 40 - Dec 29 2019 / Detroit Falcons 3 - 2 Maine Timber
GR: 50 OGR: 55 DGR: 45

So after that tough loss to Kelowna, we were all really looking forward to getting back on track. We really felt like we should have beat the Knights, but that's how the pucks fall sometimes. We felt confident we would be getting a good result against the Timber, although we hoped that their goalie would not be as good as last time. Maybe we were also able to get all of the Christmas fatigue out of our system. The game overall started very slowly with the only meaningful action being a two minute minor for Al Kayhall for delay of game. The game really started to get some energy in the final six minutes, with Valentin Kalashnikov scoring with just over five minutes left and assisted by Kayhall and Thicc Cheezy. We were pretty stunned as we felt this came against the run of play. We decided to go back to work and that paid off when Edward Williams was able to score just five seconds before the end of the period with assists from Kaarlo Kekkonen and Cal Labovitch to even it up going into the second period. 

We thought this would fire us up for the second period, and well in a way it did. We were able to pound the Timber goal but to no avail. Then again seemingly out of nowhere Lucas Hellquist scored for the Timber, this time assisted by Kalashnikov. Going into the locker room before the final period, we were wondering what do we have to do to win against these guys? Coach Tig put us in the right state of mind and made sure to focus, keep doing the simple things right and that it will all come together. With this belief we stepped out onto the ice and made magic happen. Inside five minutes we had been able to get level, with Teddy Williams scoring his second, assisted again by Kekkonen and Labovitch. The next ten minutes were a really even affair with both sides having chances to go ahead. Then Maine’s best player on the night, Kalashnikov, got called for holding and went to the box. Labovitch capitalized on that and made it 3-2 for us and we never looked back. Both sides got called for further minor penalties but neither would affect the final score. Overall a scrappy game that we are happy to come out victorious from. Another bad game for me defensively and I was out on the ice for one of the Timber goals so that is a yikes. Definitely a lot of stuff that I need to work on before any meaningful games start to make sure I plug my holes.

continued...

[Image: MrEjaPX.png]

[Image: M6lTFl2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2020, 04:29 PM by Murtsi.)

Game 41 Dec 31 2019 / Detroit Falcons 8 - 1 Anchorage Armada
GR: 47 OGR: 53 DGR: 43

After a surprisingly tough game against the Timber, it was back on the road all the way to Alaska to take on the Armada. The last couple of games and really weeks, we had not really been our true selves and showed the league what our true power is and maybe now it was time for a change. We seemed to have another slow start to this game and not really getting into any shooting rhythm in the first half of the initial period. Then just after the halfway point, Ryan Cvitkovich put the Armada ahead with an assist from Alexei Petrikov. I think that is something that truly ignited the fire within us and well I feel the Armada trule shot themselves in the foot. This is really something unbelievable looking back at it. The Armada players took 5 separate minor penalties in a four minute span, It seemed like they never played at full strength the rest of the period and the scoresheet shows that. In the last five minutes, we were able to put 4 power play goals past their goalie to make it 4-1 going into the second period. Talk about letting your team down!

Compared to the first period, the second period was much more mellow, which may have been partly due to the score on the board. Jmac NCheese along with Braden Lowrie both took two minute minors and Pokrywka scored with 10 seconds left in the period to make it 5-1. If the Armada felt like they had any hope of getting back into the game when they entered the ice for the final period, we extinguished those hopes very quickly. First Lhotsky scores with under a minute gone in the period and then Topalo adds another one with 4 minutes gone. So with 16 minutes left in the game, the score was 7-1, The rest of the game was mostly just penalties for both sides, with energy levels and aggression getting higher. Teddy scored on the powerplay near the end of the game to add his 27th goal of the season. Overall I felt like we were clearly the better team and had more drive compared to Anchorage. I had a horrible game again defensively and well this is not looking good, no real progress made so far so I hope that practice works or I might have to take a breather before the playoffs.

Game 42 - Jan 2 2020 / Detroit Falcons 10 - 0 Carolina Kraken
GR: 56 OGR: 58 DGR: 52 G: 1 

So here we are after the new years break and lets see how we can play after the celebrations (they were pretty wild). We have some serious PTSD from Carolina and the way they handed us our two losses, not pretty to say the least. I think we were all pretty fired up against them and to really set the record straight. Our first period or really the Krakens was not something to ride home about with the only memorable thing being Toki Wartooths 2 minute minor for boarding. In the locker room it was just making sure everyone was at full focus for the game and I feel we showed that right away after we came on to the ice. Kaarlo Kekkonen scored with just over a minute on the clock, with Cal Labovitch and Teddy grabbing assists. That is the way it stayed for quite a while until Zoltan Topalo made it 2-0 in the 12th minute, Pokrwyka and Luke grabbing assists. Just over 2 minutes later Teddy made it 3-0, Fantobens and Kekkonen on the assists this time. Going into the final period, we felt pretty confident about ourselves.

Looking back now, I am not sure what happened to Carolina, it seemed like the bottom fell out from beneath them and they gave up all hope. It all started quite early with Sulfurgold scoring within 4 minutes of the restart, O’Shea and McMasters on the assists. The rest of the period seemed like clockwork. About every 2 minutes it would be another Falcons goal. Wanesly, Wartooth, Sutherland and even me Jutila would get in on the action! The final score was a very ugly 10-0 that I almost typed to 1-0. So yeah totally deserved against Carolina and I wonder what they do now and what are their feelings. Absolutely deserved this and even me, the little Taisto that chugged along had a good game!

Game 43 - Jan 5 2020 / Detroit Falcons 1 - 0 Anaheim Outlaws
GR: 52 OGR: 52 DGR: 52 

So after that goal fest which we had against the Kraken, it was down to more serious business against the Outlaws. We were wondering would the going be as easy as it was against the Kraken or had we scored all the goals for the foreseeable future against them. Let’s just say that this was pretty close to the truth in the end. Overall I feel that this was pretty big of a snooze fest of a game and I might think that some fans may have even fallen asleep during it. The first period had really nothing going on apart from a Magnus Llljeström roughing penalty in the first 3 minutes. Anaheim could not really capitalize on it and neither side looked close to breaking the deadlock. The second period was then much of the same although this time it was Anaheim who was in the penalty box, taking two different minor penalties in the period. Sadly we were not able to capitalize either and the game was 0-0 heading into the final period. We were really wondering where our scoring sticks had gone and Coach Tig was just saying that try to remember what you did last time out, because damn it, it worked!

The final period was still much of the same but thankfully Coach did not have to yell at us too much after the game as Burlok Sulfurgold put in the games only goal with 13:57 on the clock in the final period. After the game against the Kraken, it was maybe good in a way to come down to earth and only score one goal that game. Otherwise it might have gotten to our heads a little bit which would have been bad news for the playoffs. Overall a very tight game on the scoreboard as well as in the statistic and only the one goal that separated us.

Game 44 - Jan 6 2020 / Detroit Falcons 1 - 2 Newfoundland Berserkers
GR: 51 OGR: 47 DGR: 56

After that tight game against the Outlaws, we were looking to get back on track against the Berserkers, who we have had success against in previous meetings. Everyone, including Coach Tig wanted us to go out and have a good game, but alas what we were in store for. Things did not get off to a good start with Gavin Wallace scoring for the Berserkers with just under three minutes played in the game, PBJ Souppan with the assist. We did not help ourselves by taking two different minor penalties, first Cal Labovitch and then later on Jack Kanoff. The Labovitch minor was not punished but when Kanoff went inot the box, just over a minute later Ryuuji Minamino punished us with his 15th goal of the season to make it 2-0 going into the second period. Tig had a few choice words for us which I feel are better not shared with others, especially if there are any young readers in these game recaps. The second period overall was not really that much better, at least the first half of it. What finally got us going was really the Berserkers giving us a chance through two silly penalties they took almost back to back, one for roughing and the other for cross-checking. With this opportunity, Jmac NCheese finally gave us a lifeline and we were able to draw one back and make it 2-1 going into the final period.

The final period really did not have anything spectacular. Both sides took a minor penalty, but other than that nothing really happened. We could not really get anything going and I think we can only have ourselves to blame for it. We definitely were able to get the required shots on goal, but if you have almost twice the amount of giveaway compared to your opponent, prepared to be in store for a bad night. I had a pretty horrible night myself with 2 giveaways and generating nothing in front of goal so definitely more soul searching to do for me.

Game 45 - Jan 9 2020 / Detroit Falcons 2 - 1 Carolina Kraken
GR: 57 OGR: 56 DGR: 57

So yeah, being in our locker room after a loss is not really fun at all I can say. Coach goes hard at us, but he has every right to when we do not perform at the level that he needs from us and he puts in a lot of effort. Well after that Newfoundland disaster, we looked to get back on track against Carolina, who we had absolutely destroyed last time out, putting 10 goals past them and demoralizing them. This game did not have that similar start that we had against them last time out. The first period was quite a slow start and realistically we should have gone into the locker room ahead. This is because the Kraken took two minor penalties within 8 seconds of each, when first Van Dijk took one for elbowing and then Grimstad for hooking. With nearly 2 minutes of 5 on 3 action, we were still not able to crack their goal and that was frustrating! Well anyway going onto the ice for the second period it would be still at 0-0.

The second period was thankfully more our period. We were able to generate lots of successful waves of offense on the Carolina goal and we were finally rewarded at the end of the period. First Frederik Wanesly scored with just under 3 minutes left in the period, assisted by Jmac NCheese and Reid Sutherland. Then just over a minute later, Burlok Sulfurgold makes it 2-0 with Pokrywka and Topalo chipping in with assists. We felt pretty confident going into the last period and overall we controlled the whole period until the very last minutes, when Rinako Yukikami was able to score to make the final outcome 2-1. I think overall this was a game we looked always to be in control of. I was also very happy with us again outshooting them and limiting ourselves to only 1 giveaway and no penalties! Coach Tig also was happy with our play and told us to do these things in the future as well. Overall I had a much more balanced game than in the previous ones and I think definitely focusing on the basics has helped me out a lot.

Game 46 - Jan 10 2020 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 3 Anchorage Armada
GR: 56 OGR: 51 DGR: 61

Right away after that controlled victory over Carolina, it was back on the ice to face one of the better teams in the league, Anchorage. This was quite an intense game overall and definitely not for the faint hearted. The game got off to a quick start with Zoltan Topalo scoring inside four minutes, this time Luke McMasters and Pokrywka getting the assists. Not much happened until the second half of the period and Sulfurgold getting a two minute minor for hooking. Just seven seconds into the penalty and Cyril Vystkoc makes us pay by scoring and evening up the scores. We get to repay the favor as first Stan Hanson takes a hooking minor and Jack Kanoff scores on the ensuing powerplay to make it 2-1 going into the second period. It then seems like both sides take the second period off or at least very easy with nothing really happening apart from a Toki Wartooth minor. Maybe both teams were preparing for the ensuing action?

The third period really came alive when Cal Labovitch scored in the seventh minute of the period to make it 3-1 and it seemed like we were cruising to another victory. Clearly Anchorage had other ideas, as 4 minutes later, Mitchell van der Heijden scored to make it 3-2. This is where we started sweating a little and to make matters worse, Labovitch takes a stupid hooking penalty with just over five minutes left. Van der Heijden makes sure to have us pay by scoring 15 seconds into the powerplay and evening up the game at 3-3. That's how it stayed till the end and meant we were heading into overtime. We had a powerplay opportunity during overtime  but came up short, meaning we needed a shoot-out to settle the score. This shoot-out was a very usual hockey shoot-out, where only one player was able to score and that was our very own Zoltan Topalo! This meant that after that horrible end to the third period, we were still able to come out victorious! This was also one of the very few games I have seen all season where we did not win the shots on goal battle which was actually quite crazy. This was also another game on the upward trend as I had one of my best defensive games and I was really proud of it, let us hope this trend continues!

Game 47 - Jan 14 2020 / Detroit Falcons 2 - 3 St. Louis Scarecrows
GR: 51 OGR: 53 DGR: 50

We are heading into the final stretch of the season and it was nice to go play the Scarecrows, a team which there is not much love lost it seems across both teams and fanbases. With us already confirming our place as the regular season champions, I think that clearly factored into our play and this game overall was extremely physical, at least from the Scarecrows side. The first period was mostly just us showing how many penalties we are able to take in a period, with a total of three minors being called against us, all of them very deserved. We were able to escape the first two unscathed but during the third one, Alex Reyer put the puck into our net with Mega Tron and Axel Meszaros on the assists. So the score was 1-0 going into the second period. In the second, it seemed the Scarecrows wanted to out do us in how many penalties you need in a period. They took a whopping four, with each one going to a different person, which is also quite impressive. Contrary to them, we were not able to capitalize on any of these opportunities, which I think Tig will dig into during practice before the playoffs and something we definitely need to improve. Also to add insult to injury, they were able to score a shorthanded goal near the end of the period, to make it 2-0 going into the third period.

So we had to look for a lot of things in the final period to give ourselves a chance. It felt like the Scarecrows took a lot of wind out of our sails with a goal under two minutes into the period to make it 3-2. Just 13 seconds later we pulled one back with Topalo scoring and Jack Kanoff and Burlok Sulfurgold grabbing assists. Then 5 minutes later we took a leaf out the Anchorage book and scored a short handed goal after Wartooth took a holding minor, our new signing Henrik Lundqvist Jr. scored and Lhotsky along with McMasters chipping in with assists. Sadly that was all for our great comeback and the final score was 3-2 to the Scarecrows. I guess it is something for them to be proud of, but will still be their greatest accomplishment this season. They out hit us while we out shot them and funnily enough they still ended up winning. Personally this was another one of those “average” games for me and well nothing too bad so I guess I will take that as a positive. 

Game 48 - Jan 20 2020 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 0 Vancouver Whalers
GR: 55 OGR: 54 DGR: 55 A: 1

After that awful loss against the Scarecrows which we definitely will not stop hearing about for a while, it was nice to have a small break between games to get some rest after a tough slate. In addition it was nice to welcome the Whalers into town as we had not had a chance to play them for a while. I think in the end it was one of those games, where the Whalers felt like they might have just been better off cancelling this road trip and taking the loss anyway. The first period was not that bad for them, other than that they could only muster a few shots on goal while we were piling them on against them. We were finally able to break the deadlock with Burlok Sulfurgold scoring 14 minutes into the period and Luke McMasters adding in an assist. We did give the Whalers a chance by taking two different minor penalties before the end of the period, meaning they played the rest of the period with a man advantage but could not really get anything going, so hats off to your penalty kill!

The second period in the end was much of the same as the first period. We did not really let them get shots off against us while piling them against their goalie and again finding our only goal of the period past the halfway point of the second period. This time it was Magnus Liljeström who was able to find the back of the net, with Reid Sutherland and Frederick Wanesly chipping in with assists. Going into the locker room and preparing for the final period, Coach Tig was pretty happy about everything and how under control the game was and said to keep it up in the third and not let the Whalers back in the game. That is also just what we did and hats off to Jack Kanoff who had himself quite a period. He was able to score both of our goals in the period, with McMasters, Sulfurgold, Hank and myself getting in on the points! Overall I think we definitely deserved the win as we outshot the Whalers 40 to 9, were more physical and had over double the amount of hits while also winning more face offs. My personal performance also had a nice bump up and after a long points drought I got a nice assist on a beautiful goal. I feel like I have been getting great tips from Teddy and newcomer Hank on how to improve my game, and it clearly feels like it's working!

Game 49 - Jan 21 2020 / Detroit Falcons 4 - 3 Maine Timber
GR: 48 OGR: 56 DGR: 37 A: 1

So with us clinching the Laurifer with plenty of time to spare, it was time to enjoy ourselves in our last two outings before the real deal called the playoffs started. We even had some new DFA signings that we can trot out so come one Maine, let us see what you have in store for us! The first period was again off to a slow start. I do not know what it is with me and the team, but we never seem to wake up in time for them. Somehow our engines just take so long to get started. Anyway around seven minutes in, Simon Moreau takes a two minute minor for tripping that finally got us going. Eddy Teddy Williams make the Timber pay by scoring his 29th goal of the season on the powerplay. We think to ourselves, nice going and believe it will be an easy evening. We definitely do not help ourselves by taking two silly minor penalties to let the Timber back in the rhythm of the game. They fail to capitalize on either of them but end up scoring before the end of the period on a Kyle Sutton goal, assisted by none other than Valentin Kalashnikov. 

We came into the locker room a bit shocked but vowed to make it a different period. Things started looking good for us after Hank put us ahead in the 6th minute, with new DFA signing StanQ Next and myself on the assists in what I must say is a beautiful goal. We thought to ourselves, finally we are looking good, but Maine had other ideas. After the halfway point of the period, Maine struck twice in 4 minutes with goals from Jullen Villeneuve and Kalasnikov with both goals funnily enough being assisted by Mikkel Asmus Sondergard and Lucas Hellquist. Now in the locker room we were really shell shocked. Being down 3-2 to Maine going into the final period? Not really something we wanted to be doing. Coach Tig really dug into us and was shouting at the top of his lungs “Stop losing to shit teams you mother****ers!” I guess there was only one way to respond to stuff like that and that was to play better. It only took us 10 minutes to make things right. First Reid Sutherland scored after 5 minutes with an assist going to Jmac NCheese. Then Teddy scored his 30th goal of the season after a Jack Kanoff assist! That was a great moment for Teddy and for our whole team. We were able to not lose to a shit team and came out 4-3 winners! I was able to grab an assist, but otherwise quite a horrible game for me, especially on the defensive front and hopefully I can get something more done in the final game to give myself a better boost before the playoffs. 

Game 50 - Jan 23 2020 / Detroit Falcons 6 - 2 Vancouver Whalers
GR: 61 OGR: 68 DGR: 53 G: 1 A: 1 

So this is it, the final regular season game of the year and also the final game of this recap article. Thank you very much for everyone who has been reading up till now (maybe it is only the grader) and hopefully you have enjoyed them. For me this has been a great way to look back on my rookie year and see what went well, what did not and how well I have improved over the year. Definitely there have been bumps in the road, but I think overall I have taken steps forward. Anyway, let us look at this final game, which was treated more as an exhibition game, with everyone getting to play fun hockey! Again as always, we started out slow but once the halfway point of the period hit, we really started to hit our stride! First it was Jmac NCheese with Guy O’Shea and Reid Sutherland grabbing the assists. Then just under 3 minutes later it was StanQ Next putting it in, with me and Jack Kanoff taking the extra points. Definitely looking like a better game than last time out. 2 and a half minutes later it was Sutherland at it making it 3-0, Luke McMasters and Magnus Liljeström this time joining in. Finally McMasters made it 4-0 before the end of the period to really solidify that this was not going to be Vancouver's night. 

I feel like in the second period, we just took our pedal off the gas and almost ghosted that period. We were saving it up for I don't know what but we let them have a little sniff of how awesome we were with Francois Breton scoring and assisted by Stracimir Petrovic and Sammy Koa. The third period was definitely the best period of the game and that is because I finally found myself on the scoresheet again! With Hank and StanQ on the same line, they put the puck right where I wanted it and blam I put it home! A glorious way to end the season for me personally and to start looking towards the playoffs. Oh and yeah Vancouver and Kaarlo also scored to make the final score 6-2. So yeah definitely one of my best games, if not my actual best game of the season. Really happy to start the playoffs soon!

So there you guys have it, the Taisto Jutila rookie recap of his own season and how everything played out along with my progression. It is interesting to look back at it all. I definitely had a fast start to the season and scored my first points and goal in my third game with the team. And overall the first 10 games were quite a ride and everything seemed to be going great. Then I faced my first real dip in form and overall rollercoaster of a stretch. Things did not seem to be going well at all for me and I was truly wondering what was happening. I do not know exactly what it was, but I would put it down to hard work in and after practice. Just like Coach Tig says, remember the fundamentals, sometimes just focusing on them can get you really far. After all those hours put into practice, I felt like I finally found my groove again and had a small upward trend to finish the season and had my best game in the final game of the season, a really great way to end it! These were my final season stats:

GR: 54 OGR: 55 DGR: 53 G: 5 A: 5

I was also bold enough to ask Coach Tig about his views on my season and what his overall thoughts were and this is what he had to say:

"Going in, I knew Taisto was an accomplished defensive forward even at a young age. His commitment to playing the right way was apparent when we scouted him, and with the majority of our core being more offensively-oriented players, we felt it was important to try and add some more balance throughout the roster. Obviously, it's very tough for any player to step in and contribute right away in the SMJHL, but Taisto did just that. Even though he did go through a bit of a scoring drought for a while, he was playing the right way and had some of the best defensive results of any forward around the league. Of course, everyone raves about his defense, but he reads the game offensively as well. He's in position to both force mistakes by the opposition as well as capitalize on them. He's got quiet skill, where you won't see him make flashy plays but he handles the puck well and can both take and make a pass on the fly. It was definitely nice to see him get on the board with a few strong games towards the end of the season, and it shows how much he's progressed in a short time. He's become a staple of our team and will be a key cog in the future as well."

At the beginning of my season, I was sure that I would fall through the cracks and maybe find myself as a very very late round flier. Now having experienced a season in the league and seeing that I can hang with the best in the junior at times (and at times just get blown away because I am still learning so much) I do not think I will be the last pick of the draft. I feel I have potential to be a good to great two way forward for a team that needs the next Mikko Koivu to emerge in the future. I have enough skills to make me an asset in the penalty kill or maybe as a 2nd or 3rd line center. My prediction would be that I will be picked up somewhere near the end of the third round! Thank you all for reading and lets get ready for an amazing draft!

[Image: MrEjaPX.png]

[Image: M6lTFl2.jpg]

Falcons

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Falcons

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty