Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2 - SMJHL Team Branding
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2020, 04:26 PM by leafs1997.)

Hey dudes! Today I'm going to take a look at the branding of each SMJHL team, and talk a little bit about their logos, color schemes, jerseys, etc. First off, I'd like to preface this by saying; I am in no way claiming I could do a better job, and any criticisms are just my first impressions. My artistic ability is pretty apparent from my rookie task graphic. These are only my silly opinions! Toe stepping aside, let's get into it!

Anaheim Outlaws

[Image: NVvRNid.png]

Alright, before I even say anything, I have to know. What is going on with the mascot? Looks like Buggs had a few too many carrots, and might be lacking a bit of hustle on the backcheck. 
The color scheme itself is fantastic, you can't really go wrong with this shade of red. I was a little confused at exactly what animal it was, I thought it was a greyhound dog. (only realizing later after finding the Jenny Craig Rabbit)
I definitely prefer the logo from S45-S49 over their current one. I wasn't able to find any graphics depicting their jersey color scheme, but maybe I'm just blind.

The Verdict: 5/10

Anchorage Armada

[Image: cOdA222.png]

[Image: 3I8mlGS.jpg]

[Image: kCDTfq7.jpg]

Anchorage has like 47 jerseys, so I'm just going to link their main ones.
I'm not sure how you put a hockey franchise in Alaska and NOT incorporate fishing into your branding in some way. Their secondary logo at least makes a little bit more sense than a gigantic battleship.
Their main home logo is absolutely gorgeous, and one of my favorites from all the teams. Looking at their jerseys, however, I think you have to ditch the yellow and replace it with white. In my opinion, their best looking jersey is their alternate away jersey. (Minus the yellow).
Switching main colors and logos from home/away also doesn't really make much sense to me.

Carolina Kraken

[Image: SPOILER_CarolinaKrakenLogoDisplay.png]

[Image: CarolinaKrakenJerseyDisplayTemplate.png]

Now we're cookin' Carolina has one of the more top tier logos AND color schemes in the entire junior league. The logo itself is super clean, and is damn near perfect.
Looking at their jerseys, there's not much to complain about either. I love their mains and alternate. Maybe throw black onto the shoulder pads of the main home jersey? Who knows, it looks fantastic either way.

The Verdict: 8/10

Colorado Raptors

[Image: YpFgQPQ.png]

[Image: ColoradoRaptorsJersey1.png]

[Image: ColoradoRaptorsJersey2.png]

If you had told me that they were called the Colorado Vipers, I wouldn't have even noticed. (Maybe the tongue would have been a give away) The thing that jumped out at me most was how much better their alternate logo was than their main.
I think their main jerseys might have too many colors going on. The light/dark blue on the same jersey bothers me, and I'm not entirely sure why. Regardless, the Colorado Vipers....errr....Raptors have a very good alternate jersey. Throw that alternate logo on their alternate jersey and we'd be in business.

The Verdict: 4/10

Please don't eat me.

Detroit Falcons

[Image: rsz_1image2.png]

[Image: rsz_image1.png]

You guys remember those little plastic birds you had when you were kids? The ones that would balance on your one finger? That's what this logo reminds me of. There also seems to be a running theme through all of the logos with eyes, that they are white and lifeless.
Their color scheme on their jerseys is an absolute eyesore for me. It's like the Red Wings jersey but somehow worse. I think it might be because the red is so bright.
I can already hear the SKREEEEEEEching of some Detroit people, but I can't get behind almost any part of their branding. (Their away jersey isn't bad! But that's probably because there's less red assaulting my eyes)
Oh, and you guys have the most obnoxious goal horn in the league.

The Verdict: 2/10

Kelowna Knights

[Image: KEL-cut.png]

[Image: KEL-jerseys.png]

The Knights are sporting another top-tier logo and color scheme. The dark green with black looks fantastic, and it isn't overwhelmed by the other colors. Their primary logo is a big step up from the alternate in my opinion.
I might be a little bit bias (as I'm now bleeding green), but it's right up there with Carolina with some of the best branding in the juniors.

The Verdict: 8/10

Maine Timber

[Image: MaineTimberTeamTemplate.png]

Alright let me stop you right here. Let's take a quick break. Take a breath and clear your mind. When you think about the lumber industry, what's the FIRST thing that pops into your head? A LUMBERJACK. Maine missed a huge opportunity to throw a big bearded dude on a jersey.
Despite their lack of a logo bursting with testosterone, their current one is fantastically done. I love the log, and the jaggedness of the edges really gives it some jazz.
Their home jersey bothers me. I think the dark green on the shoulder pads would really serve well to make their skaters look less like huge potatoes.

The Verdict: 6/10

Nevada Battleborn

[Image: NevadaBattlebornTeamInfoSheet2.png]

Next up is the Winnipeg Blue Bombers! Wait no, it's the St. Louis Rams! Hold on....<checks notes> Oh, it's Nevada. Now, I'm Canadian. I'm not too familiar with what certain states are known for. Are goats super big in Nevada? My first thoughts when I think of Nevada are not goats, it's Las Vegas and gambling! The Nevada Highrollers! Or....something.
I know in my interested prospects thread for Nevada I said I liked the name. I lied, and I'm sorry. Battleborn Goats really unsettles me. When I think of Battleborn, I think of something intense and powerful.
Regardless, their tried and true color scheme meshes very well together. This is another instance of their alternate jersey being superior to the main one.

The Verdict: 3/10

Newfoundland Berserkers

[Image: Berserkers_logo_1.png]

[Image: VLqs4sX.png]

[Image: nmSefs4.png]

Now that is a mighty 'stache. Their logo is perfect for their name, and encapsulates entirely what I think the Berserkers are all about. Their alternate logo as well is fantastic, and really clever with the L ending in an axe shape.
Newfoundland, at least for me, follows Detroit's path with a shade of red that is entirely too bright. The blood drip on the arms is just awesome, and the use of grey on black is really well done.
The Verdict: 7/10

Quebec City Citadelles

[Image: Toc33un.png]

[Image: p8vEz0a.jpg]

[Image: NiXEGcn.jpg]

Their logo comes right at you, looking like it's some crazy owl flashing you in a back alley. Their matryoshka style logo is kind of clever, but also hurts my brain if I look at it for too long. I'm not entirely convinced their branding is designed specifically to brainwash you into buying poutine.
Their jerseys have lots going on. While strongly resembling the matchbox car I made in the eighth grade, they certainty have stuffed lots of colors onto the front. I think it might be the giant white zipper line that's making it look so cluttered. With that in mind, their alternate looks FANTASTIC.
I want a poutine.
Also, your guys' goal song is a banger.

The Verdict: 4/10
St. Louis Scarecrows

[Image: Scarecrows.png]

[Image: 6K7Ir31.jpg]

[Image: ZPIKJKY.jpg]

St. Louis is a lot like Carolina and Kelowna. Their color scheme is super tight, and their logo is another one of my favorites. I love their away jerseys, it reminds me of the old skate Canuck scheme with the red/yellow/black. They've also managed to make a bright primary yellow color not look like a complete eyesore. (Take notes Anchorage)
When I first was browsing the website, having known absolutely nothing about the league or the teams, I thought the Scarecrows had one of the best logos on the entire website, SHL included.

The Verdict: 9/10

Vancouver Whalers

[Image: Eoj5m74.png]

[Image: zengYrD.png]

Vancouver is coming out with the same color scheme as the Canucks, pretty much. But unlike the Canucks, they've thrown white onto their shoulders of their home jerseys. This in general gives me a weird vibe, I've never liked it. I'm looking at you Minnesota North Stars! I prefer their away jerseys.
Their logo is relatively simple, but it's good. You can't very well throw a dude with a harpoon on there, so good call.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the quality on some of the pictures, the resolutions on some of the images were wayyyYyYyYy too big!

Approved, +5 TPE @Kierkan

Beauty!
+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria