Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #1 - Top Rookies as of 12/7
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 05:44 PM by leafs1997.)

With most rookies playing 8-9 games, I have decided to write a deep dive on the rookies with 5 of more points. 

1. LD Bjorn Jakobsen  Citadelles 
GP: 8, Goals: 5, Assists: 1, +/-: +4

Round 4, 40th pick 
TPE: 235 
User @siddhus is a first-gen player and known sim leaguer, as I happen to be on two teams with him in the SBA and PBE (please start updating again, we need you!) Himself and the Quebec City Citadelles have started off hot, and as a 4th round pick, he looks to be one of the steals of the draft so far.

Jakobsen's highest stat on offense is Getting Open (12), and with a high powered team, he has gotten to the open spaces where he has an accurate shot (11) with decent shooting range (9). Being probably the tallest player in the league at 6'11", gives him the vision (offensive read 11) to see over everyone and shoot with pinpoint precision. 

2. RD Gregory Goode  Armada
GP: 8, Goals: 2, Assists: 4, +/-: +3
Round 2, 19th Pick
TPE: 245
User @Keenan is a Hall of Famer, so I'm assuming this is a recreate. He has pumped a lot of TPE into passing (15), and it has paid off so far leading the rookies in Assists. 

As mentioned above, Goode's highest stat is passing (15), which is the highest I've seen as a rookie. With adequate offensive read (10), he is able to find holes in the defense that few season pros could even see. On defense, his defensive read is (12), which has helped Goode be a +3 on the ice in even strength. 

3. RW Pavel Jeziak  Falcons
GP: 8, Goals: 2, Assists: 4, +/-: -4
Round 1, 3rd Pick
TPE: 219
User @Leppish is a multi-time cup winner, so I'm assuming this is a recreate. He is the highest draft pick on this list, and he has been the standout (points wise) of the 3 back-to-back-to-back picks in the first round made by the Detroit Falcons.

Looking at Jeziak's stats, his highest stat is Getting Open (13), I expected to see his goals to be higher than his assists, but he has instead been getting open, and finding the open man for the goal more often this season. 

4. RW Jonny Tsunami  Timber
GP: 8, Goals: 4, Assists: 1, +/-: +1
Round 3, 30th Pick
TPE: 237
Myself - I am a first-gen player who is a LW converted into a RW, and have been thriving in the role that the coaches have put me in.

My highest stats are Getting Open, Shooting Accuracy, and Offensive Read (13), so Tsunami is built as a garbage collector player who stays in front of the goalie and tries to clean up. With a 20% shooting percentage, he is certainly cleaning up down in the crease. 

5. RW Casey Outlaw  Whalers
GP: 9, Goals: 4, Assists: 1, +/-: -1
Round 5, 60th Pick
TPE: 167
User @jonnysauce22 looks to be inactive, as he hasn't updated since Oct. 31st. It's a shame because he's come out of the gates HOT for the Vancouver Whalers.

Outlaw is just playing for the fun of the game, and has no interest in improving his game. Maybe he'll rekindle the fire to strive to make it to the big leagues, but for now he's just hitting the ice for the fun of it. 

6. LW Yan Dolff  Falcons 
GP: 8, Goals: 3, Assists: 2, +/-: +3
Undrafted 
TPE: 198
User @lordbolo is a first-gen player who joined the J after the draft. He has been another great pick up this season for the Falcons with 5 points in 8 games. He is the only undrafted player on this list. 

Dolff has a variety of offensive stats at (11), so his point production was a little surprising to me, with no standout ratings (above 12). It might be up to a little puck luck, so we'll see how he fares the rest of the season. He's looking really good so far though. 

7. C Dogwood Maple  Timber
GP: 8, Goals: 2, Assists: 3, +/-: +6
Round 1, 7th Pick
TPE: 237
User @dogwoodmaple joins myself as first-genners on the Timbers. He has been great on both sides of the ice and holds a rookie high +/- at +6. Dogwood is the only Center to crack the 5 point rookie club so far. 

Maple has strong Passing, Puckhandling and Offensive Read (12), and this has transitioned to finding guys open and even scoring a couple goals himself. As the only Center in this list, it's even more impressive that he is heading a line and has a +6, which is the highest in this group. 

8. RW Nikolaj Boyle  Whalers
GP: 9, Goals: 2, Assists: 3, +/-: -2
Round 3, 32nd Pick
TPE: 235
User @zaynzk is another first gen player from the Vancouver Whalers that made the list. Boyle has gone all offense, no defense in his build and it shows, as he has 5 points early in the season, while sporting a +/- of -2. 

Boyle's strongest rating is Puckhandling (12), he's been able to weave around defenses and with his good Offensive Read, Shooting Accuracy and Getting Open (11), he's been able to make the right plays and put up points early this season. His offensive ratings are much more developed than his defense, and that shows as he currently sports a -2 rating. 

9. RD Richard LaFleur  Knights
GP: 9, Goals: 2, Assists: 3, +/-: +1
Round 3, 26th Pick
TPE: 220
User @Kierkan rounds out this list with his first gen defenseman. It looks like the 3rd round of the latest draft has provided the most value so far, and LaFleur is another one of the 3rd round rookies that have put up points early this season.

In the mold of Goode, LaFleur's highest stat is Passing (13), and looks to be a distributor on the offensive end. He's gotten a couple more goals than expected, but with a high volume of shots so far this season, 24 shots, one of the highest (if not the highest) as a rookie, some were bound to go in.  

Rounds represented:
2 - 1st Round
1 - 2nd Round
3 - 3rd Round
1 - 4th Round
1 - 5th Round
1 - Undrafted

Approved, +5 TPE @Jonny Tsunami

[Image: TNUT2f6.png]
[Image: rL8frIL.png]
[Image: jOCBbVg.gif]
[Image: 6Hefllo.gif]