Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2 - SMJHL S57 Class - Draft Efficiency
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2020, 08:13 AM by leafs1997.)

For my second deep dive, I wanted to take a further look at the data from my last article. I wanted to see how the TPE each team was obtained; who overspent their draft picks, and who got the best late round gems. As a reminder, this article utilizes data from Player Analyze 2.0, so any players not listed on that spreadsheet as of ~11pm EST on 6th December, 2020 will not be included. I also want to mention that this analysis is imperfect and the data has been collected way too early for it to mean anything concrete. I hope all the players in the lower tiers are able to keep earning and work their way up into a more efficient position.

[Image: orRprAf.png]

This chart was created by subtracting the player's Draft Position from their Class Rank. Then I averaged each team's Player Efficiency to determine the team's Draft Efficiency. Once I had the numbers for each team, I averaged the difference between each team's Draft Efficiency comparing them from top to bottom. I then used that number to tier the teams based on the average.

Sitting alone at the top of list is Vancouver with an absolutely insane -71 Draft Efficiency. With players like Rotzbua and Boyle coming from the late second and third rounds, but also being in the top 15 of players really helps them. However, Mats LaFleur is the true star, going with the 72nd pick and being 51st in the class. A huge amount of efficiency comes from these three players. Not one player that Vancouver took this season has a positive efficiency number; which is astounding for how many players they took.

The next tier of three teams had a very respectable double digit efficiency score. St. Louis is first up, with only two players in the positive range. If first overall pick Jean-Lock Zidane can push his numbers up a bit, this team could get even better. With the exact same score is Kelowna. This team is bolstered by several picks that are almost even in terms of efficiency. If you need someone to tell you the value of a player, you should probably ask these guys. Rounding out the second tier is Quebec City with a huge steal at pick 40 in Bjørn Jakobsen. Their only player with a positive rate is Davenport who could still turn things around. It's hard to argue with their success so far this season, and their efficiency is certainly helpful in getting them to this point.

The next four tiers are all individual teams, which could almost be argued to fit into the same tier even though my fake algorithm disagrees. Anchorage didn't have many early picks, but did really well with Goode and Carter. David S. Pumpkins is his own thing. The other players are also part of it. Newfoundland is very similar to Kelowna in that they drafted very accurate to their players current rankings. With no one in the top ten, they could really shoot up the leaderboard if one or two managed to pull ahead of the rest of the class. Our first team in the positive range is Maine who have one steal, one "miss", and a few middle of the road. If their sixteenth overall pick, Stefansson, can pick up his earning the Timber's efficiency will really improve. Rounding out this middle tier is Carolina with four picks. The Kraken have two players in the negative and two in the positive. As the season progresses, it's very likely these players and this team's efficiency increases over the course of the season. I mean, I'm writing this right now, right?

Then we come to our last tier, the majorly inefficient drafts of the class. Detroit is hampered severely by having three picks in the first meaning that any players that aren't instantly max earning in this way too early review makes them inefficient picks. Luckily, Blouin is actually a negative, giving them  two players total in the negative. All it takes is their two other first rounders picking it up to bring this team back into the negatives. Last on our list is Colorado with only one player in the negative. Schweingruber sits with a -19, one of the better scores in the class. Unfortunately the rest of the Colorado draft class is all positive, some into the double digits. It will take some effort by this class to get back into the negatives, but nothing is impossible.

Whoops, forgot to add a link to the full data - Link

Approved, +5 TPE @Amidships

[Image: MittschiffsSHL.gif]