Create Account

[2x Draft] Hudson swept up in a Blizzard

KEDM Sports

Thomas Hudson becomes the newest Edmonton Blizzard, selected 20th overall in last nights SHL Entry Draft.  Coming off a 42 point rookie campaign with the Great Falls Grizzlies of the SMJHL, Hudson continues to build his game to reach the highest level of pro hockey.  We had a chance to speak with him shortly after the draft. 

EDM: What is it like sitting in the green room for the SHL Draft waiting for your name to be called? 

TH: Nerve-wracking.  None of us know what is going to happen.  Especially with the Junior draft being just a year ago, but it was nice to see everyone again.  Got to hang out with (James) Howlett for a bit before he was picked number 9. 

EDM: Did you expect to be a first round pick? 

TH: Well.. I mean, that's the hope, but you never know.  I had great conversations will all the teams that were picking in the first round, as well as the top half of the second round so you really never know. There's a lot of talent in this class. It will be fun to see how we all move up from here. 

EDM: Were you expecting to hear your name called by Edmonton? 

TH: Yes and no.  As I mentioned it's hard to predict what's going to happen, but looking at it from just a sheer volume perceptive, Edmonton had 4 picks in the first round, and that included 3 in the final 7 picks, so the odds were in Edmonton's favor for sure. 

EDM: Did you get to meet your fellow draftees last night? 

TH: Yes, briefly, there was a separate Edmonton green room for all the draftees. Johansen is a superstar already, so we are all in awe of her from the jump.  Very deserving of 2nd overall. Matviy and Matty, well.. it will take me a while to not get them confused but I'm also bad with names. Dash is an exciting young player as well. Training camps are going to be a lot of fun with all of us working together. 

EDM: Any final thoughts you'd like to share with the fans in Edmonton? 

TH: First and foremost, I'm honored to represent the Blizzard, and excited to get up there and meet all the fans, but I know I still have to prove myself.  I've got a couple more years down in the J and I'm committed to the Grizzlies.  We're gonna make some noise this upcoming season. 

EDM: You heard it here Great Falls fans.  Thomas thanks for taking the time tonight and congratulations once again. 

TH: Thank you, I'm looking forward to the future with Edmonton. 

Thomas Hudson's father, Eric Hudson, knows all too well what this night feels like. Eric was drafted 21st overall by the Texas Renegades and spent his entire 11 season career in Texas, picking up two Championships along the way.  We reached out to the elder Hudson for comment. 

EH: I'm over the moon.  It's such and honor to be drafted into the SHL, I'm so proud of Thomas.  He's done this all on his own, he works hard and he's not riding my coattails. Thomas is already better than I was at that age.  I could see him lasting in the league much longer than I did and becoming a super star. 

Thomas Hudson has signed a 1 year, two way entry level contract with the Edmonton Blizzard.  He will be assigned back to the Great Falls Grizzlies for the upcoming season. 

Keep an eye out for this up and coming young star Blizzard fans.  Coming soon to an arena near you.

[Image: hudson.png]

Stoked to have you coming in!

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Awesome write-up Eric! glad to call you a team mate.

[Image: giphy.gif][Image: 53556226276_2eace1e209.jpg]
Bleed Black and Gold
[Image: malamutes.png]LD #6 Dash Jackson- Yukon Malamutes Blizzard
[Image: 53364500956_b676deb89a_w.jpg]

Don't worry, we'll make a superstar out of Tommy too!

Scarecrows
[Image: Oon045t.gif]
[Image: 8KlR3Yq.png]

Good luck with HFFO!

[Image: F84OPdM.jpeg]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig