Create Account

Deep Dive #1 - Highlanders

Ottawa Highlanders are being run by Frenchie and Pyro as part of the new expanded team of SHJML. Now that we are heading to the playoffs, it’s time to examine this team. The odds of the highlanders winning the cup is low. There’s a chance that they can make it past the first round depending on who they face. However this team is upcoming and the next season will have some losses as some will go join SHL. Improving relationships on the field will help but in my opinion, I will say the team should work on their defense. Having scorers help but without an effective defense it can go sideways. 

Unfortunately most of the defencemen on the team are S74 and S75 which will be leaving soon. So some trades and draft picks are essential in the future. I think the priority of the GMs should be getting defensive or 2-way defenseman, which is key here which will make a great difference and aid Fedot in the future as he will be the starter goalie next season. Let’s highlight the players of S76 and S77. I will even add one more here. 

Jeff Buekeboom
Good news he is there and willing to block the opponents. The guy is fast which is good so they should have him in front and center. Work on impact and be noticeable. I feel other teams just ignore him and walk all around him. So beef up your visibility, Jeff. Now the man has grown so I say you put him anywhere until he figures out his speciality. He gotta show up and need to step up especially for next season. 

Jacob Maccabees 
This rookie is showing up and growing into himself. So far 3 goals and 10 assists. If he started earlier, I would put him up in the running for rookie of the year. But his style is an interesting play of offense leaning defense. I see that he is playing point shooter or quarterback. Being mentored by team captain Demir and GMs has really helped this kid. Unfortunately next season he needs to focus on the D! It’s one thing to play both sides of the court if you have the people but if you don’t that’s where trouble hits. I will focus more on protecting the goalie and being a playmaker until defense as a whole is where it needs to be then put him back as scorer. 

Demir Bellona
As the team captain, you have a job to lead your team to success. Everyone is looking to you as the example to follow. Probably help train Jacob as he is the future of the Highlanders defense team. If Chicago doesn’t call early, prepare Pique to become the new captain. We know Demir himself can go any time to Montreal. So what should he do in the meantime? I will hit up the defense skills like blocking shots and stick checking. Don’t make your goalie do all of the work because it’s tough and he is relying on you to give him a hand. Not everyone should be offensive defenders. So try to balance because while it’s good to hit but going up against tough forwards does you no good if you can’t stop them. Become forwards worst nightmare whenever they get up in your face and stomp them! 

What about the offensive side of things? There are room for improvement and with more training. I think the Highlanders offense can be a force to recognize. Now the GMs must find some new forwards to put into their team. Now who they can trade for is up in the air. Because draft priority should be to get defenders while trading should be obtaining new forwards. Now can the centers pick up the slack? Definitely as they are going to have to for a while until some new wings are on ice. However we got Hockey Player, Benji Hockiwi, and Pique Boo to hold the fort. 

Approved @Missjmt

[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: CptSquall.gif]