Create Account

S77 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week Deadline: Wednesday July 3rd @ 11:59pm PST

The Falcons biggest rival and for my player Elliot Alderson is definitively the St. Louis Scarecrows. After being scouted by the GM and one of their scout, Alderson was convinced he was going to be drafted #2 overall and become a Scarecrow. The reunion between old friends Louis Bélanger and Elliot Alderson was anticipated for many league members. Instead, St.Louis passed him to draft another player. How dare they?! Some of the players have even noticed how Louis Bélanger was visually upset at his own GM for not drafting his friend. Ever since then, Elliot has seen the Scarecrows as his personal vendetta, giving his 110% at every game that they face each other.

As of June 29, the St.Louis Scarecrows are 15-33-2 while the Detroit Falcons are 29-16-4. Both teams have very different records , however, it doesn't stop the tension between the two. Fans of the SMJHL should definitively tune in for the matches between those two teams, as good hockey is bond to happen.

[Image: elliot-alderson-spotlight.png]
Credit: xjoverax

With Maine's recent history in playoffs against Newfoundland I would say they are Maine's biggest rivals. Maine and Newfoundland are geographically pretty close to each other which makes this rivalry even more heated. Since S70 they have played each other 4 times in playoffs with 3 of those being in finals and one series in semi finals. In S70 newfoundland sweeped Maine 4-0 in the finals and their fans got unforgettable cup win. The celebrations didn't last that long when Maine got their revenge next season sweeping them 4-0. This result made this rivalry really heat up with both of their team fans really going at each other. The wins were now 1-1 and the fans were fighting to decide who were the better franchise. It didnt take that long until the fans finally got their rematch. S73 Maine and Newfoundland both made the finals and it was time. As we know Maine took that cup home with 4-1 win and that settled the debate.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2024, 01:23 PM by koty_k. Edited 1 time in total.)

PBE Affiliate

[Image: P1XRN7f.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2024, 02:21 AM by vandrewski. Edited 1 time in total.)

It has been stated twice already that Kelownas' biggest rival are the Vancouver Whalers, which holds it's truth. Both teams are located in the beautiful province of British Columbia. Both Kelowna and Vancouver have both been in the SMJHL since it's birth so that alone gives this rivalry the edge over every other rivalry in the SHL & SMJHL. Kelowna has been in a rebuild the past couple of seasons however, we are in the swing of becoming a good hockey team. Hopefully we will become contenders in the next 2/3 seasons. Vancouver has also been in a retool so both of theses teams are due for some playoff action soon. Ivan Godinez has a knack for turning it up a notch whenever he faces Vancouver and that bad blood fuels his motivation against the Whalers. This rivalry will never fade for as long as SHL is around. I along with my teammates will make sure it doesn't.

THIS IS SPARTA ⚔️
Knights Knights

https://imgur.com/gallery/aOwI8Ja

:https://i.imgur.com/UtD8UrN.png

Thank you @MattyIce & @ThePyroAlpaca for these AWESOME graphics!!
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2024, 06:02 AM by Sokoliik. Edited 1 time in total.)

This rivalry is bcs it is in the real NHL, bcs of battles of the rookie (VGK is in Nevada) and the veteran (LA in game San Diego bcs its close) in NHL and controversial trades.
[Image: a1u60dA.png]

Akira SUZUKI
Goalie of Nevada Battleborn
Drafted S78 by Los Angeles Pathers
[Image: GeDPfU3.png]

To be honest, being a rookie I'm not 100% sure who the main rivals for Regina are. However, this season, our closest competitor in the standings has been the Quebec City Citadelles. Currently they have some strong special teams with 20.7% success on the power play and 85.4% success on the penalty kill, which can be frustrating since special teams can often tilt the game in one team's favour.

Currently, the season series stands at 3-2 in favour of the Citadelles, with pretty much every matchup we've had so far being quite close (a bunch of one goal games). Many tight fought matchups can often lead to tension and tempers flaring.

As well, on a personal note, I have no idea what a Citadelle is, so I have a slight bias against them because of that. Their logo is some kind of weird snow bird thing, which confuses me even further. I'm not sure if it's supposed to represent a bird or not, but I will leave it at that without doing any further research.

[Image: Rg2aCpa.png]

[S78] #14 C | Jon Garfield
[SMJHL] Regina Elk / Thunder Bay Walleye

[SHL] Buffalo Stampede | Prospect

[S58] #72 LD | Shion Okamoto
[SMJHL] Newfoundland Berserkers | Former Captain | S60, S62 Four Star Cup
[SHL] Chicago Syndicate | S64 Challenge Cup
[IIHF] Team Japan | S60 Gold

The Newfoundland Berserkers main historical rival are the Maine Timber, despite currently being in different conferences. Their geographical proximity to each other and multiple hard fought playoff series over the years have created one of the fiercest rivalries in SMJHL history. While they’ve faced each other in the playoffs many times before, the period from Season 70 to Season 75 really levelled up this rivalry to new heights. During this stretch they faced each other in 5 out of 6 years including 3 finals. While Newfoundland won the majority of those match-ups at 3-2, Maine has the advantage with 2 wins in those 3 finals. Last season, the highly anticipated possible finals match-up between the two was spoiled by Quebec City beating Newfoundland in the semifinals on their way to a championship Currently, the Maine Timber find themselves in 1st place and are primed to contend for another championship. Newfoundland on the other hand are in 10th place and look far from contending as things stand. While the golden age of this rivalry may have passed for now, any time these two match-up, it’s still always competitive and must-see hockey.

[Image: FqaOQ7z.png]

[Image: Fsysi9W.png][Image: R6eC8Fu.png]
285 TPE
OTT (S76-)
[Image: ApcZMh6.png]
credit: enigmatic
389 TPE
COL (S56-60)

We're an expansion team in our second season so rivals are hard to come by right now. I'd say we would get compared to San Diego because we both entered the league at the same time but there's no bad blood or animosity. There's a lot of banter between some of our team and Carolina but it's mostly fun. Any time Maine comes up on the schedule we try to bring our A game but it's not because we don't like them, it's because they're the best and we want to see how we stack up against them. Boring answers but we just haven't been around long enough to develop any rivalries. In time I'm sure we will find our perfect antagonist, the Joker to our Batman or vice versa. But to call anyone a rival right now would be a stretch. But if you're forcing me to choose, I choose Carolina. The next time we play them, you better believe I'm going to try really hard to help my team beat those no good Kraken. See? I can't even chirp at anyone.

[Image: v1uynGf.png]

Highlanders Patriotes

Renegades  raiders  Finland
[Image: WuTGq5J.png]

I don't really have any rivals in the league as I am practically brand new. However if I would have to pick a rival it would be the Carolina Kraken. Not because they make me mad or their players are jack wagons or anything like that. But on draft night eve there were two teams I felt were the most interested in me. The Colorado Raptors, which is where I got picked, and the Carolina Kraken. You might be thinking, great you got picked by a team that was interested in you, but no that's not how I see it, not for the sake of this point task. The Kraken had three selections in the second round where as the Raptors had one, which happened to be sandwiched between two Kraken selections. The Kraken could of picked me well before the Raptors had a chance but they didn't. They banked on no other team seeing my talent. Boy were they wrong. Now I will light them up every time I face them on the ice and remind them of their wrong doings.

[Image: zeus-stom-draft-night.png]

St. Louis for the main reason that they are the only other team in the midwest in the J and they are so fucking smug about being good when they are good. It's one of those games where every time there is a match between the two teams fans travel from either city quite well. The midwest has a proud hockey history with boasting several SHL franchises such as Chicago and Minnesota and so the intense rivalry between those teams carries down into the SMJHL. Everyone always wants to be able to say they've got the best hockey team in the region and this year Detroit has really meant it. If you want to know what the rivalry means for fans ask Detroit fans who were in the Arena on January 15th when Detroit trounced St. Louis 9-1. Normally fans would be leaving at the 2nd intermission to beat traffic but Detroit fans stayed for the whole game just to really rub it in the face of st. Louis.

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]

The Scarecrows aren’t the most competitive this season, but I think our best approximation of rival would probably be Maine - we’ve had the most back and forth with them, and our team’s strengths counter each other rather nicely - they’ve got a very solid defence, compared to our stronger offence. It isn’t anything like with media, branding, or talking trash in the Chirper threads, it just feels like the most back-and-forth matchup we have at the moment. 

Rivalries at the bottom of the J are a much more amusing thing - neither of us is anything close to being a contender for the cup, but because we all have a vested interest in winning, it takes on a very kind, very innocent and positive sort of spirit - it’s the sort of thing where when you lose 6 and win 1, you don’t view it as 6 losses and a win, you view it as “a win!!” And I think that our friendly rivals over in Maine probably feel the same way. Every time they come up in our schedule, I get excited - not merely because “there’s our rivals,” but because I genuinely don’t know and can’t predict exactly what result we’re going to come to - and that’s fantastic!

Saint Louis' Scarecrows would come up as my go-to. An incredibly warm community which introduced this utter newbie to this even larger community and embraced my rancid yet timely humour in stride (at times even surpassing it, no less!).

As such, it feels only natural that having spread my wings from my origins, I still remain in touch every now and then. This also applies to the hockey matches themselves! Few teams I could say I genuinely wish for success in particular besides my own, but St. Louis is one I deeply wish the best for, only so that they can being it all along when our time to face them at the field comes! After all, some of the best juice out of a rivalry comes when both can stand toe-to-toe with one another.

So allow me a word towards them. "Don't you dare to slacking up! We're coming for you too, so make it count!"