Create Account

Hitmen Scoop Up Verminski Top Goaltender Goes 15th Overall

The NWJHL Draft is a stressful time for everyone from general managers to prospects and their friends and family. It was with no surprise that during tonight’s NWJHL draft many of the prospects gathered into a tiny chat room as they watched their future unfold in front of them.

[Image: article-1289702-0A2AC7C8000005DC-238_468x347.jpg]

Since we followed around top goaltender prospect Mike Verminski for weeks leading up to the draft we asked for his permission to sit with him as the draft took place. He graciously obliged and gave us an inside view into the NWJHL draft.

Verminski started off the night by getting to the draft about twenty minutes late, but didn’t seem worried as he didn’t expect to go in the first round. Luckily (I suppose) for him he wasn’t chosen in the first round. As the second round came around Verminski began to get a little nervous and you could see the sweat start to bead on his forehead as he rapidly clicked refresh about once every 20-30 seconds anxiously waiting to find out where he was going.

[Image: Mouse-click.jpg]

The team who contacted him about possibly playing for them was on the clock and Verminski looked very nervous as he began refreshing about once every ten seconds. The team’s pick came and went with no mention of the Sex Panther. Verminski had a look of disappointment on his face, but reassured me that everything was fine.

“No big deal. There are still five teams in this league and I’ll be grateful to wear any of their logos on my chest. It’s early.”

When I asked him how he felt when the Knights chose Cyan Winters over him Verminski just smiled and said:

“I’m happy for him. He really wanted to play in Kelowna and he worked his ass off to get where he is. I have no hard feelings against him. He deserved to be picked ahead of me and I wish him the best. Of course, I’m a little disappointed that I wasn’t the first goalie to be chosen, but I can’t say I didn’t expect Cyan to go first.”

As the second round ended and the third began the sweat that was just beginning to bead on Verminski’s forehead was no starting to slide down his forehead. It was obvious the nerves were getting the best of him.

“I’ve never experienced anything like this.” said Verminski. “This is a lot different than I thought it would be. I’m really trying to enjoy this experience, but it’s definitely a bit more stressful than I was anticipating.”

Just then as the page reloaded from about the 300th page refresh of the night, there it was on the screen. Right on the top of the page:

“Thee Chicago Hitmen picks Mike Verminski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

[Image: NWJHLDraft.jpg]

“YES!!! IVE BEEN DRAFTED!!”

Verminski immediately began calling his friends and sharing the news with them, many of whom didn’t understand what the hell he was talking about let alone what the NWJHL or SHL was.

“Have you been drinking?” I overheard one friend ask through the phone.
“You’re just jealous!” chirped Verminski

[Image: 062067049620.jpg]

“All that stress and nervousness has disappeared and now it’s just a feeling of pure elation. I’m so happy to go to the Hitmen. They were one of my top two teams.”

Soon after being drafted Verminski met with some members of the Hitmen as well as the Blizzard including stud Blizzard rookie Michael Haan. Haan was drafted #1 overall in both the NWJHL and SHL and welcomed Verminski with open arms. While the rest of the management staff spent a lot of time discussing upcoming draft picks Haan and Verminski hit it off right away.

“Wow. This is awesome. I can’t believe I’m in the same organization as the superstar Michael Haan! This just keeps getting better!”

I asked Verminski about his future plans and any final thoughts he wanted to add about the draft and being chosen by the Hitmen.

[Image: panthersgame12162011postgame1.png]

“I couldn’t be happier. As I said the Hitmen were secretly one of my top two preferences. I never talked to GM’s, or anyone for that matter, from either one of my top two teams but it all worked out and I ended up with the Hitmen. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some decent playing time this year and help the team win a championship.”

“I don’t like to look ahead to the future. I focus on the present and the present is to start training even harder and earn some playing time with the Hitmen. I look forward to getting to know my teammates and hopefully succeeding in everything I do with this team. I’m honored to be a member of the Hitmen and I want to thank Snappy and Carlzner for giving me an opportunity with the team.”

Unbeknownst to Verminski I had a chance to ask the Hitmen brass why they decided to draft Mike.

After a little bit of awkward silence co-gm’s Braden Carlzner and Petr Klimek glanced back and forth at each other hoping one would chime in with your standard answer to this type of question. Surprisingly that wasn’t the case.

“We need a goalie to blame for our losses and Mike seemed like the perfect fit.”

[Image: doc4f8f818735e7c896663262.jpg]

Looks of shock were cemented on the faces of Carlzner and Klimek after Michael Haan dropped that bomb. I wasn’t really sure how to respond after hearing that, and after a few uh’s and um’s the three Blizzard players all began to laugh hysterically as they patted me on the shoulder and left the room. I’m still not sure if they were joking or serious, but I guess we’ll never know!

So there you have it; the journey from start to end for a NWJHL prospect. We began with a little Sex Kitten hoping to get his chance to play in the NWJHL and here we are three weeks later with a Sex Panther who has just been drafted to the Chicago Hitmen. It’s been a wonderful experience following Mike during his journey and I would like to wish him the very best as he beings his adventures with the Hitmen.

Code:
1,028 words/6 images

Ilike :hitmen:

" 'We need a goalie to blame for our losses and Mike seemed like the perfect fit.' "

:lol: dat haan

Good read Cheers Congrats bud, Hitmen are a classy organization with two straight up amazing GM's.

Payment:

Word Count: 1028
Professionalism/Thoroughness: 8.5/10
Interest: 9/10
Form: 9/10

Payment: 550k

Comments: Really good read, liked the couple humourous jokes in there. Content was just above average. Congrats today on being drafted and good luck with the :hitmen: Show everyone what it means to be a Sex Panther Wink

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Ilike

Blizzard + :hitmen:

also Steal of the Draft IMO

[Image: w2d9MYW.png]

>no mention of da Toast

BOO!

:hitmen: ftw though.

I miss the Impact and JNH :( mainly JNH

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Toast@Sep 24 2012, 09:33 PM
>no mention of da Toast

BOO!

:hitmen: ftw though.

Real matter here is did she make you a sandwich? Btw, I know she broke your light and all, but it's not okay to be in an abusive relationship so you gotta stop k? :hmph:

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Great article! Have fun in Chicago, Snappy and Carl are great guys and I'm sure you'll have a good season with them and Toasty.

Good work Mike. You will be a stud here!

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

Good work getting drafted by the right team. *KoffKoffStupidFalconsandFirebirdsandKnightsandImpactandWhalers*

Good article, too.