Create Account

Fortescue in the Windy City

Last night the huge NWJHL Entry draft took place and there were quite a few surprises throughout the event. The biggest shocker to people happened very early in the draft when just an hour before the even started, the Detroit Falcons traded up to 2nd overall, where they would end up picking Brandon Donini, something which caused a ton of confusion early in the draft. Those events will be covered by someone else though, as what we’re about to talk about was the third overall of the pick, Benoit Fortescue. The Quebec native was drafted by the Chicago Hitmen and seemed ecstatic on the stage wearing his brand new Chicago jersey. It seemed that Fortescue was Chicago’s target the entire time because they were quick to make the selection after the Falcons’ shocker the pick before.

Fortescue will bring a ton of defense to the Chicago team. While many teams went with the offense first route, trying to pick up people that will score the points for them, Chicago went the opposite way and chose a player that will stop the opposition! Fortescue is a defensive defenseman who isn’t afraid to think of the body first. He is tall enough to be considered a threat to the whole league actually and it won’t be surprising when Fortescue is leading the league in the defensive stats. Will this Quebec native be able to carry Chicago while the team tries to get some of the top free agents that will be out there? As of right now, Fortescue will have to really prove why he was such a high pick in the draft.

<div align="center">[Image: 308_page_30_perron_pic_WEB.jpg]
Benoit speaking after getting pictures done after being selected 3rd overall</div>

“I’ll be honest, I really didn’t think that I was going to be drafted that early,” Fortescue said, “It was a very big surprise to me. I had spoken to the Chicago GMs awhile ago and knew that was the team that I wanted to go to in the draft if I had the choice. I’m glad things worked out for us all and now I’m looking forward to hitting the ice for the Hitmen! I have been waiting to get back on the ice and now we’re just a few days away. I’m looking forward to getting to know all of my new teammates since training camp will be opening in just a couple of days now. I’m still really pumped up that Chicago was able to draft me 3rd overall. If you would’ve told me I’d be such a high pick earlier this month, I probably wouldn’t of believed you.”

Fortescue has the talent to lead Chicago into a decent position, and he’s going to need to do exactly that due to the other two Eastern Conference teams having franchise players as well. All Eastern teams picked in the top 3 of the draft and now it will be a battle of the franchise players in Schultz/Montreal, Donini/Detroit, and Fortescue/Chicago. It will be interesting to see exactly how things go once the season starts up, but the confident Fortescue has no problem thinking about that upcoming challenge. He knows that there will be a lot to prove this season and he is more than ready for the upcoming challenge.

<div align="center">[Image: 5042889347_8f0f8f064c.jpg]
Fortescue took to the Chicago radiowaves Tuesday.</div>

“I think people kind of underestimated me to be honest. I’m going to do my best to be the best defender in this league, and I’m going to work my ass off to make sure that’s exactly what happens. What Chicago needs out there on the ice and in the locker room is someone who isn’t afraid of challenges and will do everything for his team. I’m going to do my best to lead Chicago to the top of the conference, and even the league, because that’s what the team deserves! It was heartbreaker watching them lose in the qualifier round last season so I’m making it my goal to see this team through to the finals, and hopefully a championship win at the end of it all!”

Many people are already making comparisons between this season and the last. Last season, Chicago went and picked up franchise defenseman, Michael Haan, and this season they’ve gone with the same idea as they’ve drafted Fortescue this time around. Fortescue at the moment is probably a lower version of Haan as he isn’t that great offensively but is there when it comes to defense play. Fortescue will have to try to be this season’s Haan if Chicago has any sort of plans of being competitive this season. Fortescue has already essentially confirmed that he will be giving it everything he’s got, but will it be enough? Fortescue will be doing his best to make sure that things go well for him and Chicago.

<div align="center">[Image: 44206-david-perron-choix-repechage-jarmo.jpg]
Fortescue at the NWJHL Entry Draft showcase Monday.</div>

“They drafted me because they believe I have what it takes to be a very good player, and I’m not going to disappoint. Maybe it’s the name that I have but I know that the eyes will be on me to see if I perform or not and I’m going to do everything I can to impress those people. I’ll be off to the SHL in just a season, but my primary focus at the moment is to make sure that I lead Chicago to a decent run at the Four Star cup! I want to prove that I was a deserving 3rd overall pick and I want to prove to everyone that I deserve to be the 1st overall pick when it comes to the SHL draft! This is going to be a season full of training and hard work, and honestly? I can’t wait for it to start.”

The next couple of weeks will be all focus for Fortescue as he adjusts into his new home in Chicago, prepares for the huge role that he will have in Chicago and all the training that he is going to have to do to make sure that he stays ahead of the competition as one of the best players in the league. A player only gets 1 shot (usually) at being a NWJHL star, and there was no way someone like Fortescue would pass up on the opportunity to impress everyone keeping their eyes on the NWJHL. Fortescue made it clear that he was ready to take on whatever challenges there were going to be during the season.

<div align="center">[Image: 2010_7_22-2010_7_22_23_50_33-jpg-18187.jpg]
Could Fortescue lead Chicago this season?</div>

“Chicago is going to be the perfect team for me as it will be the perfect place to develop into the player I’ve always wanted to be. This team is full of dedicated staff and players and I’m glad to be a part of it! The next few days will be a focus of getting the contract and stuff done, and then I am going to focus on becoming one of the best!”

Code:
Words: 1146
Pictures: 4

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

goood read now go fix your damn light :lol:

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

:hitmen: Going for it all

Send me down, I will pair with this guy :o

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

Quote:Originally posted by JmanPens19+Sep 25 2012, 06:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmanPens19 @ Sep 25 2012, 06:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->goood  read now go fix your damn light :lol:[/b]

It's going to be like a week with no light :lol: Live off of laptop light.

<!--QuoteBegin-KCCO@Sep 25 2012, 06:09 PM
:hitmen: Going for it all

Send me down, I will pair with this guy :o
[/quote]

PLEASE!

Or maybe in a season's time? :ph34r:

Quote:Originally posted by Toast@Sep 25 2012, 06:11 PM

It's going to be like a week with no light :lol: Live off of laptop light.

PLEASE!

Or maybe in a season's time? :ph34r:

Haha, Sarah eh?

And no, you're coming to Manhattan.

Quote:Originally posted by JmanPens19@Sep 25 2012, 06:27 PM

Haha, Sarah eh?

And no, you're coming to Manhattan.

what's a Sarah?

I'd be fine with the Manhattan thing. I'll try not to be traded in my first week if that happens. :lol:

Quote:Originally posted by Toast@Sep 25 2012, 06:51 PM

what's a Sarah?

I'd be fine with the Manhattan thing. I'll try not to be traded in my first week if that happens. :lol:

mm idk :3

And yeah, I'd love to play with you <3

SHL Radio time :ph34r:

Ilike Chi Town!!

We all like men!

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Quote:Originally posted by LegendOnIceâ„¢@Sep 25 2012, 06:56 PM
We all like men!

haha wut? Tongue