Create Account

Hamilton key additions/loses

[Image: 20tnrf6.png]

Entering the S16 season, the Hamilton Steelhawks were thought to be one of the heavy favorites to win the SHL Championship. Thing's started off a little slower than the team had expected. What surprised many was seeing Cyan Winters starting off the season rather than James Reimer. The Hawks managed to hold their own, and once the team put Reimer back in net, they began to take off. The team really rallied behind the young netminder, and they began climbing their way out of the basement. Finishing the season 29-16-6 placed the Steelhawks in third place behind New England and Toronto, which was surprising for many. None the less, Hamilton made it into the playoffs where they played their rivals, the Torono North Stars.

Game one saw an action packed game finishing with a final score of 2-1 in favor of Toronto. Two days later, the Hawks and Stars took the ice again in what would be another spirited playoff battle. The Steelhawks veterans really stepped up in this game with Winter, Willems, and Hall all getting points. Following the game, both teams made the short flight back to Hamilton where they had a day off. Toronto really came out to play in this game where they blew Hamilton out of the water in a 6-0 shutout win. Hamilton was hoping to split the series before heading back to Toronto, but game four saw yet another dominant performance by the star studded North Stars. Game five took place back in Toronto where the North Stars planned on finishing off the struggling Steelhawks, yet Hamilton had other plans. The Hawks managed to come in and completely out work the Stars for a 3-1 win. Then came game six back in Hamilton. The Hawks knew they needed to win and take it back to Toronto for a game 7. The puck dropped and immediately Toronto took charge. The Stars routed the Steelhawks scoring 4 goals in the first period which the Hawks could never come back from. Their season was finished.

[Image: 28c118p.jpg]
(Press conference annoucning the retirement of LeBacon, Vitikka, and Ekblad with Roman Schultz making an announcement about the teams future)

The Hamilton Steelhawks roster has gone under some reconstruction since the ending of the S16 SHL season. After another early exit in the playoffs, management knew they had to make some changes to the lineup to be able to win. The biggest hole in the team was arguably in net. James Reimer was never able to put the team over the top as many expected he would. Also, with Ekblad and LeBacon retiring, the Steelhawks lost two big pieces of their dominant blue line. Another big name player that the Steelhawks lost to retirement was the youngTuomas Vitikka. Although Hamilton lost 3 players to retirement, they feel as though their team will be just as competitive as last season.

Key Additions
Michael Haan
[Image: 2z5689w.jpg]

Haan was brought into the Steelhawks organization through a sign and trade deal with the Edmonton Blizzard. Last season the two-way defenseman managed to net 5 goals and add 19 helpers from the point. Haan brings lots of leadership and experience to the Steelhawks blue line. He is the type of player you can put out in any situation.

"We knew from the very beginning that we wanted Haan. We felt as though he could really help fill the void of losing Ekblad and LeBacon. Haan has the ability to quarterback a powerplay, and we feel that his offensive skill set will really help contribute to the team. I can't wait to see what type of numbers he can put up with out team. I think we could definitely see a career year out of him."

Urijah Winnfield
[Image: kcb3ua.jpg]

After another early exit in the playoffs, the Steelhawks knew they needed to make a change in net. The Hawks brought in Urijah Winnfield in a deal that sent their former goalie James Reimer to the West Kendall Platoon. Although the two are very similar goaltenders, many say Winnfield has a work ethic that nobody else has. He wants to get better every time he's on the ice. Last season the young goaltender was 10-12 while posting 3 shutouts. With Hamilton's star studded offense, Winnfield is predicted to have a career year with 35+ wins.

"From the beginning of our search, I knew I wanted Winnfield. I feel like he is the man for the job, and he can get us to the next level. Winnfield not only is a great goaltender, but he brings a lot to the locker room. He isn't afraid to step up and take control of the locker room. I'm excited to see what types of numbers he can put up with the defensive group he has in front of him. I think he is a definite candidate for top goaltender in the league."

Magnus Jakobsen
[Image: 2v84oc3.jpg]

With the 9th overall pick in the SHL Entry Draft, the Hamilton Steelhawks took young Magnus Jakobsen of the Vancouver Whalers. Scoring 12 goals and 12 assists in S16 for the Whalers, the Steelhawks felt as though they struck gold with this pick. Jakobsen, who's regarded as an offensive forward, already posses a good shot, as well as one of the best strides in the SMJHL. The future looks bright for this young star. Days after being drafted, Jakobsen signed a 2 year, 10 million dollar deal.

"We were thrilled to see Jakobsen fall to 9th overall. In my mind, he was a top 6 overall pick, so we are very happy to get him. This season we will be sending him back down to the SMJHL. I think Jakobsen could've played in the SHL this season, but with our roster, we felt as though we didn't need to rush him. I'd rather see him develop his game even more and dominate in the SMJHL. I'm interested to see how he develop over the course of the season."

Volker Bayer-Holtby
[Image: 15xmjxx.jpg]

Many people were shocked to hear the name Bayer-Holtby be called by the Hamilton Steelhawks. Coming into the draft, few people knew who Bayer-Holtby even was, but the Hamilton Steelhawks knew they were going to take him. When the 15th overall pick came around, the Steelhawks made their selection. Holtby is considered to be an offensive defenseman who has a good shot, and also has the ability to make a great pass from the point. It's hard to predict how Bayer-Holtby will do statistically wise this season, but the Steelhawks have high hopes for him.

"Bayer-Holtby was the steal of the draft in my opinion. Not many people knew who he was prior to draft day, but he's been on our radar for some time now. If he can keep training hard and working his butt off, I think it's only a matter of time before Bayer-Holtby is a name known throughout the SHL. The kid has everything you look for in a young offensive defenseman. He's got a cannon from the point, skates like the wind, and can stick handle his way out of any situation. The sky is the limit for Volker."

Kevin Griffin
[Image: t9ywzo.jpg]

Kevin Griffin spent last season playing for the Detroit Falcons in the SMJHL going 19-16-3 as well as recording 4 shutouts. The young butterfly goaltender has the ability to steal a game. He knows how to step his game up when it really matters, and often times stands on his head on a nightly basis. Some were surprised the Steelhawks took the young tender at 18th, especially since acquiring Winnfield, but the Steelhawks know what they're doing. There's something special about Griffin, and the Hawks look forward to seeing him develop.

"When you watch Kevin Griffin play, you watch a goaltender who never gives up on a play. When he's in net, you know you're going to get 110% on a nightly basis. He had a successful season with Detroit last year. When I was scouting Griffin, I was amazed to see how hard he works. We feel as though Griffin is a season or two away from making the SHL, but once he does, he will take the league by storm. I think we could see the next elite goaltender in Griffin."

Key Losses

Kevin LeBacon
[Image: 10seovd.jpg]

Hamilton lost not only a great player, but a great team member as well in LeBacon. He was a leader for this team, and always gave his best night in and night out. It's hard to lose a solid defenseman like him. LeBacon brought a lot to the Hamilton blueline with his booming shot. It will be hard to replace him up top.

"It was really hard saying goodbye to Kevin. He was always so positive and uplifting in the locker room. When the team was down, LeBacon stood up and would rally the troops. I'd like to thank him for all his years of loyalty and service to the Steelhawks organization! We wish him the best in his future ventures. Congratulations on an amazing career!"

Matthew Ekblad

[Image: ok68lt.jpg]

Ekblad was a huge asset to the Steelhawks blueline. Although he didn't play a lot of minutes towards the end of his career, he made them count when he did. Even towards the end of his career, Ekblad could still skate, pass, and shoot like he did when he first broke into the league. It'll be interesting to see who steps up to help fill the void the Ekblad left.

"Matthew always gave his best night in and night out no matter what they score was. He knew his role, and he did everything he could to complete it. He was a long time member of the team, and a definite fan favorite. We're very sad to see him leave, but we thank him for all the time and energy he spent in bettering the team."

Tuomas Vitikka
[Image: 153xyxg.jpg]

Young Tuomas Vitikka decided it was his time to hang up the skates at a very young age which surprised many. The young forward found an instant chemistry while playing alongside teammate Rehn Miller. It didn't matter who you put with those two, but whoever it was, they were going to find the net. The Steelhawks will have an interesting time trying to find a replacement for the young winger.

"Tuomas Vitikka was a great teammate, and I was proud to call him my linemate for a couple seasons. He was a great asset to the team and always a blast to have in the locker room. We all will miss him an immense amount this upcoming season. We will have a difficult time finding someone to fill the gap that Vitikka left behind. We know he'll be great with whatever he chooses to do next with his life. We'll miss you man!"

James Reimer
[Image: in5o5z.jpg]

The young netminder who quietly made a name for himself in Hamilton. Many say players such as Fourfour or Tennyson will be the next Jesster, but in the eyes of many, they believed it to be James Reimer. After 2 seasons of playoff disappointment, the Hawks felt it was time to make a switch in net when they moved Reimer for Urijah Winnfield. Maybe the young Tender will find success in West Kendall.

"Reimer was a great guy to have around in the locker room, unfortunately we felt this was a move we had to make. It's hard trading away a friend, but we felt it was in the best interest for the club, as well as for Reimer. Hopefully the fresh start will help get his progression back on track. We wish him the best luck in West Kendall."

With S17 quickly approaching, we will soon find out how the Steelhawks offseason transaction effected the team. Will the Steelhawks new roster finally bring them back to the the championship?

"I believe this is the best roster we've ever seen in Hamilton. I know we can win. This is our year, and anything less than a championship will be seen as a failure. It's time to find the success I know this team is capable of. We're going to prove to the SHL that we have the best team in the league. We will win.

Code:
2012 words
11 pictures