Create Account

Power Rankings Week: Preseason Part 1.

Power Rankings Week: Preseason

Once again I am going to bring out the power rankings this year for the SHL. Why? Well I need money once again after over spending. More important it was a ton of fun to do and it had a great response last time I did it. I think I have found a great balance to find some time to do this, so once a week I should have a list compiled for the Power Rankings. This week is based a bit on last season, regression, moves during the off season as well as a little intuition. The Preaseason will be broken down into a two part series, I am aiming at making the regular season a single post.

1. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard Blizzard
Last season’s regular season is behind them after another impressive post season run to win their 5th cup. This season they will get started under the right foot and explode out the gates. As the rest of the league is evening out in top talent the Blizzard has managed to hold onto almost all of their talent. Owning the most star power in the league they should run away with the standings this year. Expect a big bounce back from franchise goalie Jakub Aittokallio after a pedestrian season last year he looks to be a favourite for the John McBride trophy maybe the Adrian Richan one as well.

Players to Watch:
Lucas Smith – He has been the lynch pin to the team’s offense for a number of years another big season should be coming his way.
Riko Muerto –The rookie had a decent first season, his numbers will grow as will his time on the ice this year.
Willie Weber – He was dominate last season with 14 goals, expect him to hit that number again this year.

2. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack Wolfpack
The Pack were the team to beat last season putting up some unreal numbers throughout the entire year, the big question is can they repeat that same success this year. I actually hesitate to put the Wolfpack in number 2 position as they disappeared last year when the playoffs came around…well that is not fair to say, but the numbers of goals for/against, hits and even special team percentage was way down. Still this is based off of regular season success and no one did it better than the pack last season. A key trade accusation in Erik Lehner , a big move from forward to defense for Carter O’Callahan, the pack have made a good team even better.

Players to Watch:
Alexey Kovalenko – Need his success during the playoffs to echo in this year’s regular season and he can do it.
Carter O'Callahan – It will be interesting to see how his transition to defense will affect his game.
Chris Parthow – Can he repeat his success from Texas here in New England? LOL

3. Stars Toronto North Stars Stars
Can this team do anything wrong? Can this team win it all maybe the better question after falling just short last season they will be looking to rebound and come up with a big year. They have obviously lost some key talent with both Heiss and Richan retiring but have found some great replacement players in up and coming starting goalie Jaska Tiilikainen who has been ready for a starting gig for a while now, and Ryan Bolt on defense. The loss of Armin Brovalchuk will hurt but he provided secondary offense to this powerhouse team and they have enough depth to move forward without him.

Players to Watch:
Grigori Pajari – A real down season for him last year, I expect a big bounce back year, he may even finish in the top 15 for scoring.
Jaska Tiilikainen – Statistically he was the best goalie on the team last season, now it is his time to shine.
Yousuf Scherbluk – The Stars will be looking for another big season out of their scoring leader this year.

4. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers Panthers
Last season they sat on top of the West third overall in the league behind Toronto, this year they will be just as successful as last season. Easily one of the most consistent teams in the league last year putting up great numbers all over the board statistically speaking but they didn’t have bloated numbers in any area that could suggest a bounce back. The long growth process is over for the Panthers as they have good depth and a solid roster top to bottom. The only thing holding them back is a lack of an elite goalie that most of the other top 5 teams carry. A big trade needs to happen if they want to take that next step.

Players to Watch:
Adam Kylrad – He has been LA’s best player for a few seasons now, as the team gets better so does he, should be fun to watch him this year.
Niklas Stryker – With OJ Simpson gone, Stryker is poised for a HUGE season with some major increase in minutes to be played.
Brandon Donini – A bit of a surprise that he was less than a point per game (just less), I see him making up for it this year.

5. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks Steelhawks
The only reason the Hawks are not hire have to do with the division they play in, they are every bit as talented as the top 3 teams in the league, but I see them being the team that finishes lower than the rest. Is that a fair assumption? Yep, it happened the last two seasons and history repeats itself. The biggest wild card for the team is changing the chemistry and adding a new goalie. This bold move could work out very well for the team or it could hurt the continuity of what they had going, whatever the result the team is so loaded with talent they will find a playoff spot by offense alone.

Players to Watch:
Ivo Willems – One of the elite players in the league will look to dominate this year after surprisingly low numbers last season.
Jordan Hall – He will be interesting to watch as the coach has already said he is going to bounce around from forward to defense throughout the year.
David Winter – the Uber talented forward is looking at retirement in the face, but still has enough punch to help his team with another big season.

6. Renegades Texas Renegades Renegades
The next 3 teams are all neck and neck, I really am not sure who will finish a head of the other. I am going to give the nod to the Renegades, they seem to be a slight step ahead of everyone else and a solid roster, but the loss of Elisa Armia and Rashad Thomas will be felt. Truth be told they may have been higher on the list if they had a deeper group of forwards. It is true he was a secondary scorer last season, but he always has the ability to step up and carry the team. Once again the team will rely on a defense first strategy being lead by star defender Chris Partow. Throw in first overall pick Chico Salmon and the team will be in a good place for seasons to come.

Players to Watch:
Chris Partow – Leading the team in points from the back end typically is not a winning strategy still the Renegades have done it now with Chris, no reason to change the formula.
Jordan Four-Four – had a hell of a season last year, with the same group of defenders in front of him it is easy to expect a repeat performance.
Rufus Reinhart – Without Armia on the team someone needs to lead the offense and Reinhart is the best candidate for the position.

Code:
- 1267 words

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Good article, although I see us a little higher of course Cheers

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Ilike Steelhawks

Ilike

[Image: kesler.gif]
[Image: vgIymom.png]

Preason

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

Quote:Originally posted by Merica@Feb 25 2014, 07:53 AM
Preason
That's right and don't you forget it rookie.

:lol:

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Blizzard

[Image: Screenshot2013-10-23at12.42.38PM_crop_no...h=506&q=75]

[Image: dZqcwmW.jpg?format=webp&width=710&height=473]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
Argonauts        S77 SHL DRAFT 4TH OVERALL PICK          Argonauts
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Quote:Originally posted by spidey@Feb 25 2014, 10:04 AM

That's right and don't you forget it rookie.

:lol:

Rookie my ass Tongue

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

I think u underestimate hte power of the Daigle.

[Image: livius.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by bbp@Feb 26 2014, 12:48 AM
I think u underestimate hte power of the Daigle.

[Image: zEQQKll.png]