Create Account

Potatoes and Beer: The Eoghan O'Donnell Story Part Four: Welcome to the SHL, Kid

<div align="center">POTATOES AND BEER: THE EOGHAN O’DONNELL STORY

Part 1: Origins, Part 2: Growing Up and Part 3: A True Outlaw

Part Four: Welcome to the SHL, Kid

[Image: hkn_duck_canadiens_20131024_28904615.jpg]
O'Donnell doing what he died best, engaging in some fisty-cuffs</div>

After signing up for the North West Junior Hockey League (now called the SMJHL), Eoghan O’Donnell attended the prospects game, which was broadcast on SHL radio. Unfortunately in that game O’Donnell was held pointless, while recording two fighting majors and three hits. He was also ejected in the third period for a fight in the final minute of the game.

His disastrous tournament led him to being drafted in the third round, fourteenth overall by the Anaheim Outlaws, an expansion team. Despite being drafted in the top half of the draft, O’Donnell couldn’t help but be disappointed.

<div align="center">
Quote:I was hoping to go in the first two rounds, but it didn’t happen.&nbsp; I was happy to go to Anaheim, but I would have preferred to be a top draft pick considering my history in the Ontario Hockey League.
- O’Donnell on his draft stock</div>

O’Donnell made quite an impression on his teammates in the first few weeks as he was named one of the assistant captains along with Jon Maxfield. The captain of the team was goaltender Dylan Kearns, although the captaincy for Kearns was short lived. Unfortunately the records for the NWJHL in Season Two were lost, so we have no indication of how well or how poorly O’Donnell did in Season Two.

<div align="center">[Image: 465660829.jpg]
O'Donnell impersonating Abdullah Muhammed Jabir at the All-Star game</div>

However, we do know how the Outlaws did. In the first half of the season, the Outlaws were struggling. The leadership from their captain was just not there, and he even asked for a trade from the GM. After not finding a good value for Kearns, the captaincy was given to Jon Maxfield and O’Donnell helped lead the Outlaws to a tremendous first place finish. During the regular season, O’Donnell had fifty points, including thirty goals and 215 penalty minutes; 105 of which were fighting majors. Unfortunately the Outlaws did not make it very far in the post season, losing to the Prince George Firebirds in seven games.

Despite his strong play, O’Donnell gained the reputation that he had in the Ontario Hockey League, a bad apple. He would get into off-ice confrontations with players in the league, including one with goaltender Viari Latypov. While out with teammates Raymond Lindsay, Dylan Kearns and Jon Maxfield, Latypov made a comment towards Dylan Kearns that O’Donnell didn’t take too kindly to. O’Donnell attempted to through some beer bottles at Latypov and ended up in a holding cell for the night.

<div align="center">
Quote:He’s a fucking cunt dickhead motherfucker and I have no regrets.&nbsp; He deserved to get hurt and I wish I would have injured him.
- O’Donnel’s blog entry about the incident which was quickly taken down by Outlaw management. </div>

When the draft rolled around, O’Donnell didn’t have very many teams calling. Considering all the off-ice antics he had going on, O’Donnell was lucky to be drafted at all. As he sat, waiting to be drafted into the SHL, he saw many players come and go before him. Many of which were slated to go later than the young Irishman. O’Donnell was finally taken near the end of the second round, sixteenth overall by the Manhattan Rage. Eoghan would sign an unorthodox four year contract, which he would soon regret.

<div align="center">[Image: Clutterbuck_014_slide.jpg]
O'Donnell as a member of the Manhattan Rage</div>

<div align="center">
Quote:I have no idea why I would have signed something like that, however it’s all hindsight now.&nbsp; I can’t change the past and I certainly can’t get rid of some of my past mistakes.&nbsp; I know I made them and all I can do is just apologize to all the people I’ve hurt and every mistake I’ve made.

- Eoghan O’Donnell reflecting on his career after his retirement.</div>

Despite all his past success, O’Donnell would have trouble transitioning to the pro level. Everything would soon escalate into a situation that can never be reversed.

<div align="right">…to be continued</div>

Quote:685 Words + 3 Pictures

:wub: Eoghan was great, but Dujy is just >>>>> <3

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

But Tobias Mortensen>>>>>>>>