Create Account

Vancouver Whaler's Award Ceremony

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Vancouver Whalers awards night. Now before we get into the awards, and opening statement from one of the GMs of the Vancouver Whalers, Yousuf Scherbluk!

“The team did great this year and even though we fell short again in round two, we never gave up. No matter how much we were losing by we still managed to find our way back. Why even in game three when we were down 3-0 on the score board, we managed to score 5 goals in 17 minutes to win the game 5-3. These boys always gave it their all and even though that didn’t result in every game being won, I am not disappointed, but proud to see how these great group of young players will leave there mark on the SHL in the future. Now for what all the Vancouver players and fans have been waiting for, the season twenty one award ceremony. Today is the day we honour those who stood out the most and congratulate them for their hard work.”

Our first award of the night, the Chris McZherl award. This award is awarded to the Forward that has showed the best two way Abilities on the ice.
[Image: trophy_frankjselkelg.jpg]

Our nominees are Sterling Knight and Truck Stoker. These two players finished with at least a +/- of +10, at least high 90’s in hits and scored at least 30 points. Truck and Sterling are guys that teams need to win games as they are the forwards that can help the D out and could even be a game changing player. And the winner is…STERLING KNIGHT!
[Image: Ryan+Kesler+NHL+Awards+Show+RjtL-DhFsQWl.jpg]
Now even though truck did phenomenal in his rookie year, veteran Sterling Knight was able to beat his level of performance. Knight was a huge factor for the team’s offense as he could do more than just passing and shooting, he could hit, block shots and can even win a good amount of faceoffs. Truck however will be in the spotlight as he will be even better next year and if sent down, could possible receive this award next season. But for now, congrats Sterling on a wonderful performance and thank you for your two years of service.

Our next award is the Ivo Willems Award, which will be awarded to the Best forward that scores the most Points.
[Image: trophy_artrosslg.jpg]
And the winner is….. STERLING KNIGHT with an outstanding 52 point season and his second award of the night!
[Image: 18j4ya61vodnpjpg.jpg]
Sterling dominated the SMJHL and showed Texas that drafting him was a smart move and this is just proving his case of why he will be the next best thing in the SHL. Vancouver cannot thank you enough for all your hard work, and I think you’re going to need a bigger trophy case as more awards will come throughout your career.

Our third award of the night is the Niclas Wastlund Award, which will be awarded to the Best overall Defence-man on the whalers team
[Image: tumblr_m3mpnsgiCm1qzzhvso1_1280.jpg]
Our nominees are Shinji Kudryashov, Mike Abel and Drew Myers. And your winner is, MIKE ABEL!
[Image: norristrophy.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg]
As much as Drew and Shinji had a good season, Mike did just a bit better. Leading the team in shots blocked and assists, finished off with 39 points in 40 games and has the 2nd highest +/- on the team out of all defencemen, this active rookie shows great promise in the upcoming draft and he will be the dark horse in this draft as some people may not look at him as a first round pick, but he definitely plays like one. Congrats Mike on a great rookie year and enjoy your award as your hard work has paid off.

The next award is the Matthew Ekblad Award, which will be Given to the Best leader on and off the ice that represents the Whalers team in the media and as an overall team.
[Image: masterson.jpg]

Nominees, AJ Willison, Chance Winston and Pierre-Luc Laflamme, and your winner is….. CAPTAIN WHALER, PIERRE-LUC FLAFLAMME!
[Image: Dustin+Brown+Inside+NHL+Awards+U41Ohz3QH9Yl.jpg]

It is not every day you get a player that is this active and motivated. When it came to captain deciding, I could only see myself naming his name this year. The multiple team articles, high locker room and league activity and he still put up some decent numbers and as a rookie played and maintained a spot on our first line. Even though he went up against 300 TPE players, that never scared him, it only motivated him. Congrats Pierre on an epic rookie year and I am going to be shocked if this man is not a top 3 pick as he has the ability to change any team around.

Our next award is the Antero Salmelainen Award, which will be given to the Individual that has been the MVP of the team.
[Image: hart.gif]
Now we all know that Sterling Knight, Jamie Hill and Drew Myers were the teams point leaders, but this one teamate dominated in every single category of the leader boards, I proudly present this award to HUNTER WONG!

[Image: 3193298.jpg?size=620x400]

It is super rare when a team can say our goalie is the best man on our team, but today we have the right to say so. Hunter Wong leads the league in Save Percentage, Goals against average, Penalty Shots Percentage, Shutouts and Wins. This man is the complete package and I can proudly say he is the one of the most promising goaltenders I have ever seen. I would not be shocked if he ends up playing like Jakub Aittokallio, Lauris Prikulis or ends up playing even better than them in the future. I know he will be the deciding factor that will get Calgary back into the playoffs and he is ready to take on the SHL.

Our last award is the Dave Smith Award, which will be Given to the Best play-off Player that the Whalers had with or without an Championship
[Image: image2.jpg]

Our nominees are Shinji Kudryashov, Sterling Knight and Jamie Hill, and your winner is, JAMIE HILL!

[Image: 2012+NHL+Awards+Show+peZpyxJCjF2l.jpg]
Who would have thought that in season twenty, she would fall to 28th overall, cause todays I still cannot believe that. Jamie is very offensively gifted and can only get better from today. With 47 points and a +12, she knew how to beat any goaltender in the SMJHL and other then faceoff percentage; she can’t really get any better. In her rookie year she was very quiet around the locker room and site, but she has started to open up a bit and it’s nice to see such a key play be actively apart of the team. Well-deserved award Jamie and good luck with Wong in Calgary.

And that will be all the awards presented today. Thank you Vancouver for another fun filled season and thank you Vancouver fans who have stayed loyal to us for years. Our new motto for next year and for years to come will be #WeWhaleRockYou creatively thought up by Vancouver Whaler rookie Truck Stocker.

Goodnight everyone and thanks for coming out, until next year Cheers

Code:
1100+ words and many pictures

Congrats to all...... need to reopen VHOF btw Wink So many alumni retiring Tongue make it so

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!

Grats to all the winners and the Whalers team as a whole on a great season.

[Image: c3936a1e67537ed2c9716b30ba8432ee.png]

BUBBA -- Roster===Updates

Bojo Machine
League of Accomplished Players
Player builder

Where's the jordin fourfour award for best goalie

Akashi SixNine Jr. Updates

Quote:Originally posted by FourFour@Jan 18 2015, 03:08 PM
Where's the jordin fourfour award for best goalie

Well there's really only one active goalie on every SMJHL team since the rookie numbers have dropped, so there really is no competition for best goalie.

U didnt do this when I was on the team *****

PS JHS Award for best supporting player

[Image: zNTg4Ew.png]
thanks @suavemente !

Thank you for the award and opportunity to lead this great Whalers team! It'll look great on my mantle!

Congratulations to all the other Whalers who took home some hardware!

Quote:Originally posted by AP@Jan 18 2015, 03:37 PM
U didnt do this when I was on the team *****

PS JHS Award for best supporting player
Could have sworn I did it at least once when you were down.

Quote:Originally posted by mryourface2468@Jan 18 2015, 12:41 PM

Could have sworn I did it at least once when you were down.

Make a John Heimer-Schmidt award tho

[Image: zNTg4Ew.png]
thanks @suavemente !

JHS there was for sure one

Awesome job whalers! Well presented yousuf

[Image: NyUD4Ch.jpg]
[Image: 95lCCDx.png]

[Image: iXI1ET6.png]

Chance is looking to take home a cart full next season!

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]

I thought I was gonna win it all Smile) but good work

Well I am honoured to have won an award, and have spent an amazing 2 seasons with such a great team. Sorry I wasn't more active in the LR, but I really do appreciate this recognition. I wish everyone from the whalers organisation luck in their future endeavours.

Knight congrats for winning the McZ Trophy :D

i hope my recreate can win the McZ-Trophy one day :ph34r:

Chris McZehrl III - Anchorage Armada
[Image: McZehrlIII.jpg?ex=667c5d3b&is=667b0bbb&h...3f94d487d&]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)**
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History
**first ever Challenge Cup win after 0-3 in Finals Series

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!