Create Account

Inside the Life of Yousuf

[Image: av0ykk.png]

Yousuf: Hello everyone, I’m so glad we were all able to meet up today. I have recovered from the feeling of emptiness as my hands are yet to touch the Challenge cup. I don’t know why I have never been able to win any award in my entire career, I feel like I’m good enough and I play my heart and soul out on the ice, but i guess it’s just not enough. The SHL is a tough place to crack and to be able to travel from Ukraine to this wonderful place back in season eight and make an SHL squad in my first season out of the juniors gave me hope. Maybe I was destined for greatness. Maybe-

Interview Sorry to interrupt, but do you feel that coming up to an SHL squad after the draft was a good idea?

Yousuf: I hate to say it, but I feel it was the second worse move in my career. Looking back at my season with Hamilton, I played a full season on the bottom forward line. I played 50 games and only finished with 9 points, 4 goals and 5 assists. The GM felt that it would lead to a greater chance at victory (or else he wouldn't have called me up) and being the eager foreigner, how could I say no to this opportunity as it may have never came again. I feel though that a season of condition would have greatly benefited myself now that I look back and I might have been overexposed to the league at the time. In no way was this the GM’s fault, it was mine for not speaking up. I cannot take those years back from my past, and I feel my game to stat ratio would be better if I had that extra season down in the NWJHL. Yeah, I'm so old the league had a different name when I was down their

Interview how did you react to the game seven loss?

Yousuf: I was pissed. I felt so bad that I couldn't help lead this team to the cup as we were ready to go grab it. However, after I spoke some frustrating inner thoughts in the locker room, Jaywhy slapped me in the face, grabbed my shoulders and told me to wake the fuck up! He told me the way and the motto of the Blizzard.
Quote:“Yousuf, if we're ever eliminated, it's in 7. You should try getting used to it if it's going to happen. S2 the Blizz were defeated in 6 games in the Cup Finals by the West Kendall Platoon. Since then we have not been eliminated in fewer than 7. If we're getting eliminated, we're going to make them work their fucking ass off to get rid of us. That's how Edmonton works.”
, this was actually .spoken in the locker room. That speech spoke to me, I live by this now. Jaywhy opened my eyes and I am thankful for his wake up call.

Interview Those are definitely some inspiring words. You said second worse move in your career, what was the worst?

Yousuf: Everyone has at least one regret. The worst move of my career was signing back with Toronto after I left the Rage. Once my two year contract with the Rage was up and after a failure at my first challenge cup yet again, I didn't know what was next. I was entering into FA and the Blizzard were very active in trying to get me to sign with them. I was almost ready to call it a deal, when Toronto came knocking on my door step. JNH convinced me that Toronto had re-built after Krever left and that I was one of the last pieces needed to make Toronto a cup team and I agreed with JNH at the time.

Interview Even though you played with the Rage for a short time, what inspired you to go there after Toronto?

Yousuf: The main reason I went was that most of Toronto’s guys were going there. Benjamin Wong, Darian Scherbluk and Phil Schenn all ended up there. I thought that going with some of the same players would result in my play being the same, which it did as I still managed 40+ points in those two season.

What was the key factor to signing back with Toronto once you left the Rage?

Yousuf: I was blinded by my loyalty and ties to Toronto, I made a last minute career changing decision and decided to turn down Edmonton and sign back with the team I invested most of my career in.

Interview How did things go from there?

The regular season went well. I finished with 42 points in the season and 4 points in 6 games in the playoffs. With a quick exit in the playoffs had me wondering if this roster was as good as the two time finals appearance roster Toronto had in season 16 and 17. Still under my multi year contract, I decided to give my team another chance as we could only get better, right? Well I was wrong. We didn't even qualify for the playoffs in season 21 and that got me furious. I stormed into JNH’s office and demanded out of the organization. He said that he would see what he could do. As I was still under contract, there was no pressure for him to trade me and he would wait till he got a perfect return.

Now this next part I am ashamed to admit, but being in a furious and outraged mind set, I looked for a way to escape, no matter what it took. I turned to Hamilton and ended up getting us both in big trouble. The bold move however ended up in a trade being made with the Edmonton Blizzard.

Interview how did you react to the move?

Yousuf: I was happy and worried. I was still in Canada, but shipped out to a new place, the scary Western conference where there was no team guaranteed to make the playoffs and where every spot in the standing was fair game. Compared to the East where you could virtually predict how the season would go. I had never been in the West before and I was worried at first, but the Blizzard took that fear away. Welcomed with open arms from everyone I was ready to play. Lunaro, Tez, Kez, Jaywhy, JP, M-dawg (Whaler’s reunited), Skipper, Harry, Jedi, Jon and Keenan, I truly felt accepted.

Interview Would you say the Western conference is more exciting than the East?

Yousuf: I don’t know yet. I have only played one season so it’s hard to say, but this season was one of the best ever! So much excitement, anticipation and eliminating the Renegades felt pretty good too.

Interview So would you say your overall Toronto experience was bad?

Yousuf: Hell no! I still had great memories with Toronto don’t get me wrong, season 16 and 17, and the year the ``expendable`line`` was formed was the most exciting seasons I had with Toronto. Good memories were made there and up until the end of season 20, I thought I was going to play the remanding year in my career there after the break I took with the Rage. Things change though and even though Toronto was a place of fun, happiness and the breakout of my career, I guess all good things must come to an end and I had to move on. I met some cool people along the way, Krever, Ben, Patches and Phil were four guys that I was talking with on a daily basis. From personal problems, to fun stories, to real life career involvement to Patches us showing pictures of newborn son. I know it’s only the internet, but these were some people that I really enjoyed interacting with.

Interview Do you plan to play the rest of your career in Edmonton?

Yousuf: Yes, unless Tez wants to trade me away I ain't going anywhere. I am still in pursue of my first Challenge cup and with new acquisitions of Kit and Andybj, I feel like this is the best team I have been on in my whole career and I definitely feel were a threat to every SHL team. Tez is the best GM in SHL history in my opinion and I know behind him, every year could be a winning year.

Interview If you had to assign a new captain to the Blizzard, who would it be?

Yousuf: I would screw the rules and give it to Jaywhy. He is a long time Blizzard member, has a very active voice/opinion (even if it sometimes get him in trouble with the league), he has passion that some teammates can lack and I feel he is a born leader that can help lead his team to a cup.

Interview Old age seems to have had an impact on your performance. These past two season you have not generated over 40 points a season like you use to. What do you expect this year?

Yousuf: I have done a lot of consulting with Jaywhy (the player build master) and the rest of the team as my goal this year is to reach 40 points again and prove that age has got nothing on me! More training and game plan studying is all I can do.

Interview When you retire do you think you will make it to the hall of fame?

Yousuf: As right now it’s a maybe. As i am a top ten most points in history player, it hasn't won me anything…. A challenge cup victory would guarantee my entry, but as of right now I cannot be so sure. I have played 852 regular season games and have 596 points. While I am a reliable kind of guy in the playoffs compared to the regular season ,where I tend to be streaky. I have played in 118 playoff games and I have 120 points in playoffs. So I have proven I can get a decent amount of points, but i have no trophies (other than a gold and Bronze IHF medal) to show that I can lead a team. I cannot do it myself and because of this I feel I have not won any individual awards.

How much gas is left in the tank?

Yousuf: Why I could play for another 4 seasons. With the current squad the Blizzard have together there is no reason to leave. I’m till 1000+TPE player, probably won’t be after another season or two, but as of right now I still am. I can be a game changer when out on the ice and I am not hanging up the skates until I at least win one cup! This old guy hasn't even thought about retiring yet.

Yousuf: On that note i have to go now, time to kick some Renegade and Panther ass as this year is Edmonton’s year to win! LET’S GO BLIZZARD!

[Image: 358b03q.png]

Code:
1800+ words

Blizzard

[Image: 35513_s.gif]
Sigs by Kit, Maxy, Mook, LazyEye, Wasty, Ragnar, Bushito, Frank, 701, Pandar

Player Page | Update Thread
[Image: 263vaqs.png][Image: 8x07c6.png][Image: 2ut59pt.png][Image: s6rdXyK.png]

Love ya, kiddo. This was a fun read. Always great to see stuff from you.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Quote:Originally posted by Lunaro@Apr 4 2015, 09:28 PM
Blizzard
Yeahthat

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

Quote:Originally posted by JayWhy75@Apr 4 2015, 10:29 PM
Love ya, kiddo. This was a fun read. Always great to see stuff from you.

I don't write too much media articles, but when I do, there good quality.

Ilike Blizzard Even though im not with them Blizz will always be my team! Great read man! I think Edmonton has never been eliminated earlier than 7 games because of their amazing captain though :ph34r:

Blizzard Blizzard Blizzard Blizzard