Create Account

Igor Ogorodnikov Abandoned by his Country

Igor Ogorodnikov Abandoned by his Country

[Image: russian-federation-flag.gif]

Igor Ogorodnikov was once seen as a bright spot for the Russian National team. A native birthed Russian whose dream it was to bring glory back to Russian hockey. It seems as his goals are not aligned with the executives over at Russian Hockey Operations. For starters, the starting goaltender for team Russia is Mark Harter, an American born goaltender. Harter was able to declare for the Russian National team due to the new transfer eligibilities due to teams like Canada and the United States having too many native players. Harter getting the nod in net is understandable as he is an excellent goaltender with a few seasons of experience over the likes of Ogorodnikov. However, it is the backup goaltender that has caused controversy for team Russia.

Currently, the backup goaltender for the National team is Sergei Kozar, a Russian born goaltender. However, the choice to pin him as Harter’s backup seems odd as this means team Russia deliberately did not allow Ogorodnikov on the team, while Ogorodnikov seems to be the better option in net. In the previous SMJHL season Ogorodnikov bested Kozar in every goaltending category. Ogorodnikov posted an .891 save percentage with a 2.95 GAA and added two shutouts while Kozar posted an .851 save percentage with a 4.25 GAA. Another Russian born goaltender who is feeling the cold shoulder would have to be Vladislav Vodka.

[Image: Ice+Hockey+Day+10+9qKi3GjZc43l.jpg]
Igor playing for an under 18 Russian National team. He has supposedly been on Russia's radar for a while.

It looks like this transfer agreement between the IIHF and SHL players might be doing more harm than good in this case as native born players are being passed over by non-native players. Regardless of the rules, Ogorodnikov has been abandoned by his country which cannot be a good feeling.

“My dream is to win gold with Russia. Ever since I was young that is what I want. I want to bring great hockey back to Russia. Maybe I play in future but right now it looks like I will not play international games. I know one day I will be greatest goalie there is. So maybe it look like mistake that Russia not play me. Now, I must focus on SHL career, but, it is shame that I could not be on Russia.”

[Image: nabokov-evgeni-sharks-press-conference-sad.jpg]
Igor fielding questions about team Russia after being drafted to the Texas Renegades in the SHL Draft.

Pfft, Boon, you know you'll get your chance for the starting job.

Poor Ogorodnikov, the feels. :( His dreams! His Hopes! His Ambitions!

[Image: thejesster435.gif]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan Jesster - HoF Goalie (S1-S14)
Proud Calgary Dragon Alumni 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragons | Sweden | Raptors

Quote:Originally posted by Ferdy@Jun 10 2015, 08:41 PM
Pfft, Boon, you know you'll get your chance for the starting job.
This is about backup position not starting Tongue

[Image: 336.jpg]

You can START IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA RIGHT NOW!!!

You can START IN AUSTRIA RIGHT NOW!!!

Umm...

That moment when Kozar's a native.

Stay tuned on this story, folks

Russians don't treat their players right! Join Czechoslovakia! Lol

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Jun 10 2015, 06:38 PM
Umm...

That moment when Kozar's a native.

Stay tuned on this story, folks

I know he is. I'm wondering why he got the spot of backup over me when I posted better numbers.

I'd say come to Sweden but you'd just be behind FourFour again Smile)

[Image: livius.gif]

This was dope.