Create Account

Confessions of a First Overall Pick

<div align="center">Confessions of a First Overall Pick
</div><div align="center">by Evandrus Jesster</div>

Season 25 was a wild time for me and many others, arguably one of the largest draft classes in SHL history, we were all ready to make the jump from the SMJHL. A day that holds much importance to every prospect that is looking to make their mark, to find out where you’re going to spend the next several seasons and potentially beyond is one of the most exciting moments you’ll have in the Simulation Hockey League. For me, my story is going to seem to be different than most but in reality it is not much different than what those of you reading this will feel when your name gets called in the Season 28 SHL Entry Draft.

As Grimmsterj, the Co-GM of the Seattle Riot and the holders of the first overall pick hit the podium my stomach sunk into the depths of uneasiness and that feeling on uncertainty passed over me. I was excited, don’t get me wrong, I had an idea I might be called but to have that bit of unknowing sitting right there in front of you can make you uneasy. As he stood in front of the microphone I waited patiently, “First things first, on behalf of the Seattle Riot I would like to congratulate Tanner, LVShark, and the entire Hamilton organization on their successful season and being Challenge Cup Champions! Now, with the first overall selection in the S25 SHL Entry Draft, the Seattle Riot select....” Now my heart began to race, I was so excited, I was sitting there trying to hold my composure but man was I praying the next part of this sentence would include my name. Then grimmsterj continued, “....all the way from Buffalo, NY.. EVANDRUS JESSTER!!!! Welcome to the team! “

<div align="center">[Image: gettyimages-478675100.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1]</div>

The relief I felt was great, the excitement took over and I was ready to get going immediately. I was contacted by my team and spoke with GM Gifter of Bikes and Grimmsterj and veteran forward Sean Leonidas. Seattle had the faith in me to select me first overall that draft and I’ve kept faith in them to put me in the best situation possible.

The moral of this story though is simple, enjoy it, be hyped. The draft comes and goes so fast once it’s here. The buildup leading up to it was one of the most fun moments I’ve had in this community. My advice to the person going first overall to the last active selected is to take pride in your team. Have an open mind and prepare to communicate with your new General Managers and teammates. Even as a first overall pick I spent my following season after being drafted down in the SMJHL as a send down. It’s completely okay to be sent down, it’s a chance to grow and prepare your player to be more productive in the SHL. The transition will be easier and you won’t miss a thing. Focus on winning it all in the SMJHL, and don’t be afraid to participate in your SHL locker room even if you’re not suiting up for them. You’re going to make new friends on here, you’re going to become more immersed in this SHL community and it’s a wonderful thing. This site is for us to have fun and we use hockey as a common interest that holds us all together. I wish you all the best of luck in the upcoming draft. If anyone wishes to talk to me about anything, do not hesitate to PM me.

--
Words: 596

[Image: thejesster435.gif]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan Jesster - HoF Goalie (S1-S14)
Proud Calgary Dragon Alumni 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragons | Sweden | Raptors

Confessions of "a" first overall pick?

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Going first overall is about CRUSHING and DOMINATING the competition and leaving the lesser beings behind to quake in fear!

(but this is a great article)

[Image: dZqcwmW.jpg?format=webp&width=710&height=473]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
Argonauts        S77 SHL DRAFT 4TH OVERALL PICK          Argonauts
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216@Feb 29 2016, 06:17 PM
Confessions of "a" first overall pick?

Should I have titled it Confessions of a 3x First Overall Pick?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:Originally posted by Jesster@Feb 29 2016, 06:19 PM

Should I have titled it Confessions of a 3x First Overall Pick?

No, actually - missed that it was written by Evandrus Jesster, so the title works Tongue

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Quote:Originally posted by KezKincaid@Feb 29 2016, 05:18 PM
Going first overall is about CRUSHING and DOMINATING the competition and leaving the lesser beings behind to quake in fear!

(but this is a great article)
And being passed in TPE by the second overalls who have chips on their shoulders o:-)

This is a great article, btw! =D>

Hmm ya know we're both first overall picks and now teammates Cheers

It was definitely quite the experience being the top pick our of a lot of guys (and gals I suppose) and sometimes I forget it being in the past and all. Your article actually reminded me of things lol.

Nice article man!

Quote:Originally posted by GoodLeftUndone@Feb 29 2016, 06:34 PM
Hmm ya know we're both first overall picks and now teammates Cheers

It was definitely quite the experience being the top pick our of a lot of guys (and gals I suppose) and sometimes I forget it being in the past and all. Your article actually reminded me of things lol.

Nice article man!

Yep Tongue I've read it in your sig.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

How dare you put McDavid in this post.

SHAME JESSTER. SHAME!

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Quote:Originally posted by Durden@Feb 29 2016, 06:44 PM
How dare you put McDavid in this post.

SHAME JESSTER. SHAME!

I get it, I really do. In fact if anyone I should have used Patrick Kane. However heres the source.

http://theshl.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=55975&st=266