Create Account

S28 Draftee Analysis The first round

BREAKING DOWN MY MOCK DRAFT

http://theshl.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showt...dpost&p=1784345

Since everyone's copying it anyway! Here's my rationale

1. Portland Admirals - FORFEITED

Woo! Guaranteed 1 correct! Portland losing their first overall definitely changes the Draft landscape a bit, because who knows which direction they might have gone

If not forfeited, then: Gunnar Rask

2. New England Wolfpack - Bennett Jones

Jones has been a steady contributor to PGF all season long, continuously training and participating in team and league tasks, PGS, and PBPs.
NEW has previously shown a willingness to bypass the 'obvious' recreates with their high picks, and find the gems of the raw rookies.
There are also RL connections between Jones' agent and players on NEW, so this could play a factor.

If not Jones then: Mikko Linna

3. Manhattan Rage - Gunnar Rask

Rask has been on the top prospects list since he first declared SMJHL eligibility. His growth and development has been steady, and he will be one of the first SHL-ready players, which MAN needs.
I feel Rask could have been the 1st overall, if Portland had retained their pick, and Manhattan will be thrilled to be able to snag this player.

If not Rask then: Jackson Cartier

4. Seattle Riot - Jackson Cartier

Cartier's progress has been steady, everyone knows he can build a great player, and 701 has lived up to his declaration of being a quality member of the site.
Seattle will be looking for a player who will be able to make the leap to SHL within a couple of seasons, and Cartier fits in perfectly here.

If not Cartier then: Michael McFadden

5. New England Wolfpack - Mikko Linna

Linna's one of the top TPE earners of this draft class, and is likely on every team's radar. Centers are valuable properties, and a team looking for a top player in a few seasons will hit the mark with Linna.
May even be a safer pick than Jones at number 2, and for a lot of the same reasons!

If not Linna then: Bennett Jones

6. Los Angeles Panthers - Marc-Andre Moreau

Moreau has shown steady development and seems committed to a long-term career. Flies slightly under the radar but not so much that a wily GM will have his name circled.
LAP recently heard the news that Fredrick Wastlund will be retiring, and will be eyeing a quality defenseman with this pick.

If not Moreau then: Quinn Stevenson

7. Hamilton Steelhawks - Quinn Stevenson

Stevenson has been driven to become one of the top rookie defensemen in the league, perched in the highest rungs of TPE earners.
He will be good enough to crack a roster like Hamilton's very soon, and they won't think twice about leaping for him if he's still on the board.

If not Stevenson, then: Marc-Andre Moreau

8. West Kendall Platoon - Mia Landvik

Landvik is a player who has been a pleasant surprise for Kelowna, and a key component in what I am now calling the 'Lil brigade'. A defensive defenseman in the ourest sense, Landvik is a crasher and banger and can be an effective shutdown defender in seasons to come.
I reckon West Kendall keeps the Knightline alive, I am sure the multitude of Kelowna alumni on WKP will be bending Bojo's ear.

If not Landvik then: Kjell Eide

9. Manhattan Rage - Kjell Eide

Eide is another center, one whose focus is his ability on offense. Eide is a hidden gem in this draft class, and would be a solid pick for MAN as they look to the future.

If not Eide then: Mia Landvik

10. Edmonton Blizzard - Johnny Watson

Watson is an interesting player, and may be slightly overrated here, but a playmaking center is never a bad option. Watson's development has been behind the rest of the draft class in many ways, but has recently been active in the media to earn some love.
There is a connection between Watson's agent and the Blizzard management, so it's not a total reach. Edmonton can afford to wait a couple seasons for a draft pick to develop, and have a tendency to look for LR fit rather than BPA.

If not Watson then: TRADED

11. Seattle Riot - Michael McFadden

McFadden is the best goalie available in this draft, and has been a demon in the training room recently. Absolutely a safe pick for any team.
Seattle seems to me to be the only team in the top ten that truly needs a goalie, enough so that I can see them making this pick at number 4 just to ensure no other team nabs him. I feel like they roll the dice though that he will fall to this spot as the other teams go for positional needs.

If not McFadden then: Wiljian Zjang

12. Seattle Riot - Prince Daniel James

James is a two-way defender who can play big minutes and has shown steady progression in his rookie season. probably a couple seasons away from being SHL ready. I would not be surprised to see James go higher, but if he's still available at this point, he's got to be the BPA.

If not James then: TRADED

13. Hamiton Steelhawks - Marc-Andre Malkin

Malkin is another 2-way defender who is building towards being very balanced and effective in both ends of the rink. His talents will be on display in the IIHF tournament as he joins Austria's roster, and a good showing there should ensure a first round selection for Malkin.

If not Malkin then: Rising Hippo

14. Los Angeles Panthers - Wiljian Zjang

Zjang has the potential to be a real steal in this spot. A playmaking center, with good skating ability, if he can stay consistent he could find a spot on a rebuilding team sooner than later, and Los Angeles fits the mold here.

If not Zjang then: Levi Kubrak

----------------------

Other players who could legitimately be first round picks:

Rising Hippo
Dieter Dominique
Xavier Laine
Levi Kubrak
Wesley "Wes" Wells

[Image: dZqcwmW.jpg?format=webp&width=710&height=473]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
Argonauts        S77 SHL DRAFT 4TH OVERALL PICK          Argonauts
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

goo article!

I can see some of that coming

Chris McZehrl III - Anchorage Armada
[Image: McZehrlIII.jpg?ex=667c5d3b&is=667b0bbb&h...3f94d487d&]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)**
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History
**first ever Challenge Cup win after 0-3 in Finals Series

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Looks good Kez, definitely some similarities in rationale to mine as well

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by KezKincaid@Mar 6 2016, 06:32 AM
Landvik is a player who has been a pleasant surprise for Kelowna, and a key component in what I am now calling the 'Lil brigade'.

Lieutenant General Landvik, reporting for duty *salutes* :-x

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

Stevenson and Zjang pls Falcons Panthers

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]
[Image: KPt6Yuu.png]

Hahahaha Lil brigade

Isn't Linna a RW though?

Quote:Originally posted by engine@Mar 6 2016, 11:40 AM
Hahahaha Lil brigade

Isn't Linna a RW though?

Yup! Good rationale throughout Kez but it's hard to imagine NEW taking both Jones and Linna since they are remarkably similar players (though I'd love to share a LR with ej27)

Good read, though I'd be surprised to see Michael McFadden drop that far.

Andren Akerson (Present)
Adrik Baranov (S55 to S70)
Rurik Razin (S32 to S44)
Roy Razin (S17 to S32) (HOF/Rage HOF)
Audun Wissink (S5 to S15)

Quote:Originally posted by Jorec@Mar 6 2016, 10:19 AM
Good read, though I'd be surprised to see Michael McFadden drop that far.

I could see Seattle trading 11/12 to try and move up to avoid leaving him open.

Lil's cadets graduate to my platoon.

Or something like that. Idk military terms

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Great! Then let's court-martial you, baby, whataya say?

Quote:Originally posted by Bojo@Mar 6 2016, 11:59 PM
Lil's cadets graduate to my platoon.

Or something like that. Idk military terms
If any of them fall that far, I know you'll take good care of them :-x

Great article, Kez (I especially like the "If not X, then Y" parts)! This draft class has come so far from where it was a couple days before the S27 SMJHL draft...