Create Account

A Sit-down with Mikke Laukkanen

Code:
Ready for grading, 3300~ words

Last season, Mikke Laukkanen was a virtual unknown. He signed as a free agent with the Kelowna Knights to back up star goaltender Christoffer Bjornsson, and posted a rocky 4-5-2 record in his first pro season, with a save percentage of 0.847 and a GAA of 3.88. This offseason, he was drafted 44th overall by the New England Wolfpack. Jake Lowry of Between the Pipes got a chance to sit down with Laukkanen just before the start of his first season as Kelowna’s starting goalie.

JL: First of all, Mikke, congratulations on the promotion with the Knights, and being drafted to New England!

ML: Thanks! Obviously Bjorns getting the call for the SHL is really great, but I’m super excited to be given this opportunity with the Knights.Hopefully I can help the team win another championship and play well enough to show the GMs of the Wolfpack that I was worth taking a chance on.

JL: You kind of came out of nowhere just before the start of last season. Could you talk a little bit about your decision to come to North America for hockey, and maybe about your decision to sign with the Knights?

ML: Sure! I actually was about to sign with a team in Finland, Karpat, because that’s where my uncle used to play and I grew up around the team. I knew the GM and the head coach really well, but a couple of the guys I played with for the Finnish national junior team had just signed or been drafted by the SMJHL, and they told me it could be worth a shot, so I reached out to the league.

JL: So you got a few offers, then?

ML: [nods] One of the GMs for the Knights was the first to reach out, and she gave me a pretty convincing pitch, but Halifax and Detroit also reached out too, with very generous offers. I ended up signing with the Knights because they offered me a sizable chunk of playing time, and what I thought would be the best opportunity to progress. I didn’t want to be a career back-up, you know? I want to play. I think every hockey player wants that.

JL: How are you adjusting to North America?

ML: My mom is from Britain, so I grew up speaking both Finnish and English, which means the language barrier wasn’t too bad. Everyone here’s been really great. [he pauses] I was surprised by how much [the city of] Kelowna cares about its team, to be honest with you. It blew me away, the first time I played a game and there were people out there wearing my jersey. I thought for sure it must be a mistake, and they were actually wearing 18 or something, but no, they had Laukkanen on the back. That was a really great feeling, but it was insane. The other thing was the size of the ice. It's a little narrower here in Kelowna than back home, so the shot angles change a little, not too much, but enough that I think that’s why it took me a little time to find my groove last season.

JL: What was it like at your SHL draft?

The draft was ridiculous. I honestly thought I might go as a depth pick in the sixth or seventh round, but to go fourth-round was so much higher than I was expecting. I didn’t have the best rookie season, so for New England to take a chance on me was really great of them. I thought I’d misheard when they called my name.

JL: You thought it might’ve been another mistake?

ML: [laughs] For sure. Putting on the jersey felt like a dream come true. When people have asked what I wanted to get out of hockey, I’ve always said that I’m willing to go as far as the sport will take me. Somehow, hockey brought me four thousand miles away from home and into an SHL jersey. It’s unbelievable. It’s what every kid wants when they first lace up their skates.

JL: Are you excited to join the Wolfpack?

ML: For sure. There are a couple of guys I played with last season who got drafted too, Mia and Dieter, so when I showed up to training camp, there were a couple of familiar faces, so that really helped calm my nerves. And there are guys there like Maniac [Mainio Makainen] who I know really well, another Knights alum. They’re a really great group of guys, and though I’m obviously a ways away from joining them full-time, Wolfpack training camp was a lot of fun. I learnt a lot, especially from Ciarelli.

JL: Did you always know you wanted to be a goalie?

ML: [laughs] I, uh, I actually played as a forward for the first three or four years of my hockey career. My uncle [Viljami Laukkanen, SM Liiga Alumni] was a winger, and he was convinced I was gonna be a goal-scorer like him.

JL: What happened?

ML: I think I scored one goal in my three seasons? [laughs] I just wasn’t very good, and I was thinking about quitting entirely and trying another sport when I was about seven or eight, and then my coach came to me and asked me to fill in for Kaapo, our goalie who got hurt, and I just… fell in love. I don’t know how else to explain it. Being in the blue paint just gives this weird-- calmness, I guess. [laughs again] My uncle was so mad, he couldn’t believe his nephew was a goalie. I remember him talking to my mom about it, saying ‘He’ll never go anywhere in goalie gear, he just needs to try harder on the wing.’ Luckily my mom told him I could play wherever I wanted to.

JL: Is it true you didn’t have a non-secondhand kit until you were sixteen?

ML: It is. My mom and dad both worked incredibly hard, long hours to put food on the table, and I have three brothers who all play a sport. It was hard to find the money, sometimes. Until I was about fifteen or sixteen, I was really small, so I wore a lot of secondhand gear, stuff that the other kids had grown out of. I didn’t mind, I was playing hockey. I would have played naked if it meant playing. When I was sixteen, three things happened. I had a growth spurt and grew eight inches over the offseason, none of my gear fit me, and I got named to the U17 National Team. They paid for all my gear, so I got top-of-the-range pads, skates, sticks, all stuff I still wear today--though my new pads and helmet for the season have arrived, and they look pretty cool. [Laukkanen grins, and gets his phone out to show the interviewer pictures of his new set-up].

JL: Very cool. Will you talk about your new helmet design? I understand there’s a pretty cool story behind the backplate.

ML: Yeah, of course. During the offseason, a very close friend of mine was diagnosed with PCS [post concussion syndrome] and made the decision to retire. So the backplate has the Finnish flag on it, for my family, and the logo for HPK, in Hameenlinna, for Teemu. I’m also donating a portion of my salary to a charity for former athletes who suffer from PCS and concussion symptoms.

JL: That’s very touching. I understand one of your close friends was just drafted to the Knights this offseason, what’s it like getting to play with someone you grew up with?

ML: Incredible. I’ve known Mik since I was about seven years old, we used to play shinny together back in Rauma, me and him and his brothers [Though born in Turku, Laukkanen and his family moved to Rauma at an early age for his father’s work]. And we obviously played together on the National Team for a number of years. He told me he was coming out to Kelowna for the prospects showcase and the draft, and it turns out he got drafted here. It’s awesome. He’s actually living with me at the minute--I know what it’s like being stuck in a hotel all season and he would have hated it, so as soon as I found out he was going to make the team and be in North America permanently, of course I opened my home to him. Mik’s an amazing player. He’s going to be really good for the team and I’m excited to play with him again, since it’s been a couple of years. He’s my best friend, you don’t get luckier than that.

JL: Has there been much of an adjustment to your routine, having a roommate?

ML: Not a huge amount. Like I mentioned in another interview, we were roommates at the U18 championships a few years back, we worked together really well then, and I think we just kind of slotted back together easily. I chirp him a lot, but Mik’s really easy to live with. He’ll even take Arnold [Laukkanen’s Great Dane] out for runs if I’m busy.

JL: Do you think the team has a chance to win this year?

ML: Definitely. We have a really great group, awesome leadership, and the locker room has a really good feel to it. I think every team has a chance to win, but preseason went really well, and I think everyone in the room thinks we have the potential to bring the Four Star Cup back to Kelowna this season.

JL: What are your personal goals this year?

ML: To win, obviously. [smiles, laughs] I want to bring a new level to my game; it’s been a hard offseason, a hard training camp in New England, and I’ve never felt better on the ice. I really think this season is going to be a good one, for me as a player and as a person. I’m in the best shape of my life.

JL: You’ve been known to have some… interesting superstitions. Could you talk a little bit about those?

ML: [laughs] I don’t think they’re really that much weirder than any other goalie. I don’t eat red food on game days, I really try to stay away from red altogether, it makes me think of the goal light behind me, and I try not to think about anything connected with allowing goals. It’s all about the win, right? [interviewer nods] That’s probably the weirdest. I don’t listen to music in the locker room, so I always make sure I have my earplugs with me. I don’t drive on game days, so Mik will have to get used to driving both of us to the rink [smiles]. Like I said, not really much weirder than any other goalie.

JL: How about you walk me through your game day routine?

ML: Of course! Usually I’ll wake up maybe six or seven in the morning, have breakfast early, usually oatmeal and a smoothie. I shower, let Arnold out, feed him, and get to the rink for ten fifteen, so I have some time to sit in my gear before getting on the ice and think about the game that night. The other guys usually get there at about eleven, for morning skate, so I get on the ice early and stretch properly, take a couple of shots from [the Knight’s goaltending coach], and then the guys join me for morning skate. I’m always the first one off the ice, before all the other players. My nap is at two thirty, and is about forty five minutes long. I usually have an iced coffee before it, so the caffeine kicks in about the time I’m supposed to wake up. I’m probably going to have to start waking Mik up, he’s always sleeping through alarms. Or I’ll get Arnold to do it for me, he still think’s he’s small enough to climb into bed without being noticed. The three of us will eat, I’ll walk Arnold, and then Mik will drive us both back to the rink, where we’ll go over game tape, I’ll sit down with the goalie coach, and then have another snack before starting my warm up at five, which usually consists of more stretching, twenty minutes on the bike, and I, uh, I juggle. I’m in my gear at six with my ear plugs in, and I keep them in until the coach arrive with the starting line up. Like I said. Not that weird.

JL: Well, thanks for sitting down with me, Mikke.

ML: You’re welcome!

JL: I think I speak for everyone in Kelowna and with Between the Pipes when I wish you good luck for the upcoming season, and that we’re all rooting for your success this season and beyond.

ML: Oh god, that’s a lot of pressure. [laughs] Thank you. I’m rooting for that too.

HabsFanFromOntario:Are you planning on being a scrub like Ciarelli?

ML: I mean, there are worse players to model my game after. I feel like irresponsible, underdeveloped defencemen shouldn't be judging the goalies when they're the ones passing the puck through the crease, to be honest. So yeah, perhaps I am gonna be like Ciarelli. He's a perfectly good goalie.

Lil: What do you miss most about Finland?

ML: I miss my family a lot, I think that goes without saying, and I miss the rink at home. I knew the ice there, I knew the net. I know it sounds weird, but the rink back home smelt different. [laughs] Maybe it just smells a little less like hockey player at home. The food though, I think is what I miss the most. You have no idea how hard it is to find good rieksa in this city. I had to get my mom to email me her recipe. Mik got really excited the first time I made it for him, we must have eaten the whole batch in about an hour.

Lil: What are your goals for your junior career?

ML: To win. I know that sounds kind of obvious, but. [laughs] Everyone wants to win, right? I know the right answer here is to better myself as a player, but with guys like Mikko and Dieter leading the charger, and with me finally starting to find my rhythm [Laukkanen raps his knuckles on the wooden table] I really believe we have a group here that can win. In a more personal sense, I’d like to make myself into the kind of player that the Wolfpack would be confident playing in front of. I know they have two very good goalies at the minute, and I know I still have a ways to go, but my goal is to play in the SHL, and I want to earn my spot there like everyone else, by playing hard, and playing well. What better way than to win the Four Star Cup, right?

Lil: Thoughts on joining Team Finland someday?

ML: I’d be honoured. There’s no other way to put it. I know Finland has a tradition of incredible goalies representing them, and to be able to join that list, even for a short while, would be amazing. [Jakub] Aittokallio, the current goalie, is a player that I really look up to, and he’s been really good for them, I can only hope that one day I get a chance to try and fill his shoes.

Akamai: What do you like best about Kelowna as a city? Is it different to where you grew up?

ML: For me, there are a lot of similarities. Obviously, Rauma and Kelowna both care really intensely about their hockey team, and for me, I can see that in the city. It’s full of people in jerseys, and playoffs are insane. It’s awesome. That’s one of my favourite things about the city, too. I talked about it a little bit earlier, but seeing people in my jersey? That’s gonna be something I’m gonna remember for a long time. There’s also a really great restaurant that Mik and I go to after home wins, if we want something a little quieter than Chemical Reaction [a bar in downtown Kelowna, frequented by the Knights after a win], they do the best dumplings I’ve had outside of Russia. Mik really likes their lamb, too, so we always end up there, sometimes just because we can’t be bothered to cook.

Akamai: If hockey hadn’t panned out, what would you have done instead?

ML: [laughs] One of my dad’s favourite stories to tell is about when I was five or six, and he asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I said that I wanted to be a fire engine. [Interviewer laughs] Seriously though, I don’t remember ever wanting to be anything but a hockey player, once I got old enough. I like animals, so maybe something like that? I worked at Rauma’s Wildlife Park during offseasons when I was sixteen and seventeen, and I liked that a lot, so. That’s if the fire engine career doesn’t pan out, anyway.

Akamai: Who would you consider to be your mentor, or a player you don’t know but look up to?

ML: Mik’s dad, who I grew up basically calling Uncle Joonas, was a goalie for Karpat while my uncle was playing. I learnt a lot from him about how to handle my temper on the ice, how to deal with a loss, how to put something away and say “next game, it will be better.” I think I learnt more from him than anyone else I’ve ever played with or trained with. Here in Kelowna, last season I got to watch Bjorns play an awful lot of games. I learnt a lot from him about how to read the game, and develop with the players. Playing with the Knights is very different to playing back home. It’s almost a different game. He taught me to be able to trust my defence [grins] Well, most of the time.

EJ27: As a goalie, who’s your favourite team to play against?

ML: Well, I always enjoy beating Colorado, after they kicked my ass all last season. But my favourite team to play/\ against is probably Montreal. They give me the best challenge, and now that my buddy Ilmari [Maatta, 9th overall pick in the recent SMJHL draft] plays for them, it’ll be fun to catch up with him. I think we [Laukkanen and Talo] already made plans to get dinner with him after the game next week. It’ll be great to see him again, it’s been a while.

EJ27: And least favorite?

ML: ...Well, Colorado is never fun, win or lose, and I don’t think I’d be allowed to stay in Kelowna if I didn’t hate the Whalers at least a little bit. It's still fun to play a rival team though, it really feels like they play with a little more determination against Vancouver, it makes for a really good atmosphere. There aren't really any games where I look at the schedule and think "Oh dear," though. I love my job. It's a privilege, day in, day out.

EJ27: Favourite cheat day food that the team’s nutritionist would kill you for eating?

ML: Well, when Mik and I sat down with Man Advantage last week, he kind of spilled the beans on my cheat day food. We both have a bit of a sweet tooth, and sometimes, if we’re running late, or I don’t want to cook, we’ll have sugary kids cereal. You know, the kind you get a toy with? We keep the toys on a shelf above the microwave, we already have quite the collection. [laughs]

[Image: 57817_s.gif]

Fantastic article! Knights I love how much thought you've put into your backstory--the no red food on game days superstition had me dying Smile)

Knights :D

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

Awesome article ! Knights

[Image: Oats.gif]

[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

BUMP

This article is open for questions from you guys. Interview

Quote: I learned a lot for Ciarelli

Interview Do you also plan on being a scrub?

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Updated

Quote:Originally posted by jjaybs@Mar 22 2016, 03:43 PM
Updated
SHOTS FIRED

Interview What do you miss most about Finland?

Interview What are your goals for your junior career?

Interview Thoughts on joining Team Finland someday?

Do you feel Finnish players are generally inadequate due to their birthplace or is it just a coincidence?

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

More troll questions=more word count=more $$$. Exercise

What do you like best about Kelowna as a city? Is it different from where you grew up?

If hockey hadn't panned out, what would you have done instead?

Who would you say you consider to be your mentor, or a player you don't know but look up to?

Great article! :-x Knights

Interview As a goalie, who's your favorite team to play against?

Interview Least favorite team to play against?

Interview Favorite cheat day food that the team's nutritionist would kill you for eating?

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page

Updated! (And closed for questions)