Create Account

What is The Cost of Being a New SMJHL Player? Do SHL GM's look for More Then Just TPE?

<div align="center">Breaking the Piggy Bank – Cost of being a New SMJHL Player

Do SHL GM’s look for More Then Just TPE/Bank Accounts?

[Image: normal.png?1356117262]</div>

It might come as a shock to some not in the SMJHL, but the cost to stay competitive in the SMJHL is just astonishing, especially for a brand new player starting with a $0 bank account.

Take for example the max salary a player can have is 2 Million and if they want to outfit themselves with the top end gear (Skates, Stick, Shoulder Pads and Gloves), that costs 4 Million (1 million each). To me, if you have this cash (which I had, due to my contract and articles), this equipment helps (basically + 8 TPE (2 TPE each)), but value wise it isn’t worth it (comparable weekly training is less, 1.5 million = 9 TPE).

This is where you can trim some money off your budget, if you can’t afford it, without seeing a dramatic difference in performance on the ice.

There is also the 500k per week the player needs to spend to stay up on his/her training, taking into account there is roughly 4-5 weeks in the season and another couple weeks for playoffs then off-season/draft, etc, that is another 4 Million easy, for a grand total of 8+ Million, and this is just to keep up with the other top players, most of those who have some of not all of these funds saved (recreates, etc).

This also presumes the new player does all the little extra’s that don’t include money (PT’s, PGS, Activity Checks, etc) and that they started on time and did not miss any PT or other challenges that award TPE.

On top of that, SHL GM’s, so I am told, also expect to see a healthy bank account for their potential prospects come draft day, this shows they have the funds for training, should their contract money run out, which it normally does, due to requiring upgraded equipment for the SHL and added training costs in the SHL compared to SMJHL.

So let’s say they need another 3-5 million (give or take), in total, that is 10-13 million the league would like a new player to have or make, 8-11 Million of that on his own (2 Million SMJHL contract), within a 6-week span to be a top end (1st round, or top 2nd round) draft pick.

Now, to be clear I am not complaining, I think this forces a new player to stay active and engaged in the league to meet these expectations (the reason I write articles like this). The point is, is this realistic and attainable for most new players? Or is it mainly only achievable for recreates?

And yes, I know there is some one off “Bonus TPE” available for new members, but this is small in comparison to what is required to keep up with recreates, who typically have larger bank accounts and know all the ins and outs on how to get TPE/Money.

The question is should a new player who meets all (or even most) these expectations be considered ahead of, or behind a recreate who has million in his bank and was (potentially) less active due to drawing from these funds, instead of writing articles, etc? Again, not saying the recreate has not earned this money, because obviously they have, but what does a SHL GM look for from a create and a new player, is it the same or different?

I personally think they should be treated equally and all aspects should be considered, the question is are all aspects considered, or are mainly just TPE/bank funds considered?

• Do SHL GM’s consider character (polite in emails, posts, etc)?
• Do they consider when the player started (i.e. mid season, but has shown great strides even though TPE/Bank is less, etc)?
• Do they look at intangibles (i.e. Good Locker room guy – does he help teammates, etc)?
• Do they consider the players built/how productive they are in the sim?
• Or are these last few elements left for the picks in the later rounds?

This article is designed to simply start a conversation, with SMJHL/SHL Players and GM’s and Scouts so us Rookies know what your looking for, or who you would look for if you were a SHL GM, when it comes who to draft with your first couple picks.

I was going to just PM SHL GM’s and get the answers, but instead I thought this might help all of us Rookies, so instead I wrote an article, so I could also make some cash at the same time. :ph34r:

Let the conversation begin!

~715 words

tree fiddy

[Image: 46381_s.gif]
sigs by ToeDragon84
[Image: Jpcs9tG.png]

From my experience, they look at all these thoroughly except for the last two - SMJHL stats don't matter at all, and the build can usually be corrected given how early you guys are in your careers. Smile

Character and intangibles are definitely huge. There have been multiple examples of players rising or falling in their draft stock because of something like that (an extremely notable example being JHS's player Bernie Sanders, who was passed on so much that teams were looking at inactives over him).

I'd say in general, SHL GMs don't care how your player is doing in the sim - that stuff will work out eventually if it hasn't already. There are, of course, extreme cases (god knows what bbp is doing but I sincerely hope it works out because his build is hilarious).

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Can they put up with my horrible jokes? Stock rises

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Ferdy@Mar 27 2016, 03:16 AM
From my experience, they look at all these thoroughly except for the last two - SMJHL stats don't matter at all, and the build can usually be corrected given how early you guys are in your careers. Smile

^^I would think they'd at least consider what they needed positionally/who is likely to re-create and leave a hole for a junior to step into, since F/D/G and your particular chosen weakness can't be changed. The F/D line is sliiiightly blurred with your two-way builds, but. *shrug*

I also think the build a rookie comes in with could be a good indication of how willing that player is to research, receive constructive criticism, solicit advice, and change up their player to be a better "fit" for a team. I do think that all of the other factors are more important since your build is presumably gonna get trimmed to fit your team later anyway, but I think if I were a GM I would at least take it into consideration as something small, maybe a tiebreaker if two players look equally good to you in terms of the other intangibles.

• Do SHL GM’s consider character (polite in emails, posts, etc)?
Huge factor. GMs want to sign someone who will want to stay with their team, not just leave in free agency for nothing once they're UFA. Whether that means "polite" definitely depends on the team...but personality fit is definitely a strong consideration.
• Do they consider when the player started (i.e. mid season, but has shown great strides even though TPE/Bank is less, etc)?
I know many GMs actually track TPE/day alongside raw TPE--or they look at how quickly a player has closed the gap between themselves and someone who joined earlier from date of first update. Hell, even SMJHL GMs do this even though our sample size is a lot smaller.
• Do they look at intangibles (i.e. Good Locker room guy – does he help teammates, etc)?
See #1.
• Do they consider the players built/how productive they are in the sim?
Akami had this right, as far as I know--center to wing and vice versa is a lot easier transition than F/D, which faces a penalty in the sim if you're playing out of position. Sim productivity means very little. If your build isn't great, your SHL GM/teammates can help you with it.
• Or are these last few elements left for the picks in the later rounds?
Someone who is active (writing articles, updating, doing PTs) and not loathed by the entire league isn't going to drop into the later rounds, except in the case of very deep draft classes. A GM who only looks at TPE and bank totals is doing a shitty scouting job. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Bojo@Mar 26 2016, 09:22 PM

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Bojo@Mar 26 2016, 10:22 PM

But if you are reluctant to punch babies, your stock drops with WKP <_<

Bumping to see if I can get some more responses, but those that have I wanted to thank.

Cheers

Make and sing a song for them.

Ez draft

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

Akamai has said very well what I failed to say, although I feel there's too much subjectivity to how someone comes to a build to say whether it's an actual indication of research or just having a previous contact who helped him out, e.g., Steelhead gave me a lot of input when I first joined, so my build had more to do with a good mentor than me stretching out to acquire knowledge. Still, you bring up a valid point, and I'm sure it's a tiebreaker in the very, very least.

Edit because of typo.

Good questions to ask, nice article bud!

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]