Create Account

dump conferences.

Replace the finals structure accordingly with a classic 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6, 4 v 5 / w18 v w45, w27 v w36 / w1845 v w2736. The main purpose for divisions and conferences to exist is for improving TV schedules and reducing travel time/expenses, neither of which are relevant in the SHL. We don't need them to "guide" how rivalries are formed, and not having them would make playoffs more interesting.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

I want to hate it, but I can't...

Dumping conferences was great for SBA... But I don't see the need here. Our west vs east rivalry has been strong and a regular topic of good discussion.

[Image: livius.gif]

The 50 game season works well with the conferences set up the way they are

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Ok, besides the "we have things set up well right now" argument, what would be a negative that would be caused by this change alone? I'm not seeing any

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Jul 10 2017, 01:01 AM
Ok, besides the "we have things set up well right now" argument, what would be a negative that would be caused by this change alone? I'm not seeing any

The point about 'the way things are now' is not because nostalgia and a desire to never progress, but because to create a 50-game season, that it works to create 6x6 games = 36 (interconference) plus 7x2 games = 14 (other conference) which equals 50 games. The math doesn't work out so well when you have 13 other teams. Could go back to 52 game season I suppose (13 x 4) but again, that is a, it's not a problem, so why change it argument.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Quote:Originally posted by Muerto@Jul 10 2017, 03:04 AM

The point about 'the way things are now' is not because nostalgia and a desire to never progress, but because to create a 50-game season, that it works to create 6x6 games  = 36 (interconference) plus 7x2 games = 14 (other conference) which equals 50 games. The math doesn't work out so well when you have 13 other teams. Could go back to 52 game season I suppose (13 x 4) but again, that is a, it's not a problem, so why change it argument.

Didn't even think about that Smile) good point

Quote:Originally posted by Muerto@Jul 10 2017, 03:04 AM

The point about 'the way things are now' is not because nostalgia and a desire to never progress, but because to create a 50-game season, that it works to create 6x6 games  = 36 (interconference) plus 7x2 games = 14 (other conference) which equals 50 games. The math doesn't work out so well when you have 13 other teams. Could go back to 52 game season I suppose (13 x 4) but again, that is a, it's not a problem, so why change it argument.

^^^^

This is actually something we ran into with the SMJHL once we merged conferences. STHS is very stubborn with its schedule-making, so we can't make a 7x7+1 despite how logical it sounds. Currently we can only mandate six games against each team, which only gets you to 42. We have some teams meeting ten times this season.

I still think it was a good call for the SMJHL, but it's also a smaller league. It's definitely something we've encountered and would probably be a bigger issue for the SHL, though.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Then I guess the other question would be would expanding the season to 52 games be worth the advantages of no conferences?

Keep the games played the way it is. Keep conferences.

Trying to mimic the playoff format the NHL uses isn't a good enough reason to switch everything around.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Ilike

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]