Create Account

Dekens' Slow Start

520 words, first article

We're here with James Dekens shortly after his slow start with an on fire Kelowna and how his offseason regimen changed leading up to the season opener.

R: James, how did you prepare for the new season while you were off?

JD: Well, had you followed me you'd know I go quite far north into the snow and ice for offseason training. Taking the road less travelled, I actually go colder and harsher for my "vacation" after the season's conclusion. It's really a survival mission and not only strengthens me physically but gives me the mental toughness to get through the long season.

R: How do you stay fresh, wouldn't it be worse to come back tired from your adventures?

JD: It's relaxing. There are days when it's nice out, but there are days where it's bitchin cold out and you can't do much. Nice days are for outside hiking, running, exploring, and days in are when I can work on strength and resistance training. Not to mention the icy waters up there can do wonders for the aches and pains of a long season.

R: How did you receive the news that you were drafted to the Texas Renegades?

JD: By letter actually. I knew it would come a couple days after the draft and I wasn't going in the first round so I didn't see a point in being there in person. I wasn't pulling for a certain team, just didn't want to be taken last. I don't get cell service up there, it was pleasant to ride into town and open my future myself.

R: Now the S40 opener has passed, a few games have come and gone, how do you feel about the start to the season?

JD: It's been a hot start. Everyone was ready to play after the disappointing post season last year. Our PP is clicking, our 5v5 could use some work, but it's really really early still. Personally I have had a slow start, but I'm just about to my point total from last year already albeit a small one. As we click a little more I see myself potting more points, but I need to focus on defense at the moment. We are putting shots on goal, pucks in the net, but the 5 v 5 defense needs work.

R: What are you hoping to achieve this year with Kelowna?

JD: Everything. We want the cup, and everyone will be hard pressed to take it from us this season. We are going all the way. It's our year. Personal goals I would like to put in 10 goals by the end of the regular season. It's not much, but it's a huge step in the right direction for me. Once I get my first, I see the flood gates opening. The PP has been clicking and I haven't been getting in on that scoring much. The numbers will come, we are playing well as a team and that's what matters.

R: Thanks James, appreciate your time and good luck tomorrow.

JD: Thanks, Vancouver and Prince George are going to need it.

[Image: dEKENS.png]

3 time Four Star Cup Champion S40-S42
S43 Jesster Trophy Nominee Winner

Scored my first SHL goal in just my second SHL game. 2. Manhattan Rage , James Dekens 1 (Mikael Talo 1, Sigurd Hansen 1) at 18:39