Create Account

Saloon Spotlight 4: Japan's #1 Prospect Hiro Fujikawa

In today's Saloon Spotlight we take a look at the Japanese Winger Hiro Fujikawa (@"Marley"). Fujikawa was named as the first Captain of the new Anaheim Outlaws expansion franchise after being taken 3rd overall in the Season 45 Expansion draft from Montreal. They were originally drafted at 19th overall by Montreal in the Season 44 SMJHL Draft. Following that season they were drafted 9th overall by the Los Angeles Panthers. They are entering their second season with the Outlaws as a central piece of their offense. Hiro is not known for being an outspoken player, preferring to lead by example on the ice. Getting a rare interview with Fujikawa had been an amazing opportunity for the Outlaw Observer. Touted as a pure goal scoring talent, Fujikawa was second last season in scoring for the Outlaws with 41 points. Fujikawa has played for the WJC Team World and was instrumental to their gold medal win last off season.

Outlaw Observer Press: You were taken 3rd overall in the season 45 SMJHL Expansion Draft by the Outlaws from the Montreal Militia. After a season how do you view this experience? Would you have rather stayed in Montreal?

Hiro Fujikawa:Well, I've been in the SHL for some time. Many seasons ago, I played for the Anaheim Outlaws (I joined the SHL in Season 2). To come back to them, in the season that they came back, was a pretty special feeling. Montreal was amazing and I did enjoy the management there too. Dangles I have a long history with and while Montreal was great, the history with Dangles made the move that much better. I knew I was going to be taken care of in Anaheim.

OOP: You are known across the league as a sniper with a true goal scoring touch. What do you feel are the under rated aspects of your game?

HF: Skating is a pretty solid underrated trait I have that a quite a few don't. I went for a build that could score and skate while also being able to play some defence. I want to be the guy that team can count on each and every night and never am happy when I come up short. I think this season, a lot of my other underrated traits may come out to play a little.

OOP: Last season the Outlaws finished 8th overall and were quickly bounced from the playoffs by Halifax. What do you hope to accomplish this season? Do you think this season will be your final in the SMJHL before joining the Los Angeles Panthers?

HF: It was a shitty way to end a season that also had limited success. There was some strong moments but we all somewhat at least had an idea of what we realistically could achieve. We're a new team coming into an established league. It's going to take some time to find the right gears and things that we can capitalize on to be successful. This season, my expectations are absolutely a little higher. You could even maybe say a lot. As time goes on, we continue to grow as a team and individuals. This season, expect me to be stronger and really try and push the team to make a solid run at it. AS for going upstairs to the big leagues, no confirmed word, but I would not object coming back to Anaheim and would love to keep chasing the cup down here - dominating, and go up to the SHL when I know I'm ready and we're not gonna gamble on my development.

OOP: You were taken 19th overall in your SMJHL Draft by Montreal and later 9th overall by Los Angeles. Do you feel like you will be able to live up to the expectations of being a first round pick?

HF:I think I will be able to live up to the hype. I'm not focused on anything outside of Anaheim or Los Angeles. I'ma  player for those teams and I wish to represent them well. I'm involved in the league and in the teams and I only wish to get better for both of them. I think consistency has been pretty solid - for the most part, and really, I wasn't a bad pick for Los Angeles. Am I the best player to come out of the draft? No. Am I the most consistent? Chances are, that's a big no. But I am a good player, I am a loyal player and there's great chances I'm in it to win it with LA.

OOP: The league has recently announced the formation of an IIHF team for your home country of Japan. How excited are you to be able to represent your home country on international ice?

HF: I mean, I don't really care about the IIHF. It's more so a filler in any league your in. The hype is just never really real and much less people care about it than say the regular season or playoffs. It is neat to see Japan getting a team and while it sucks no longer being part of my previous foundation, it's cool representing the country where my players from.

OOP: Last season you came in second for scoring among your teammates in Anaheim with 21 Goals, 20 Assists, and .79 P/20. With Derek Bohne called up to the majors, how will you look to lead the offense in Anaheim.

HF:Confidently. Hopefully. I look to hop right in there and make an impact. 9 points through 7 or something like that? I'm off the right start and am happy with my performance.

That's a wrap for Saloon Spotlight #4. It has been great to get this exclusive look into the captain and star player for the Outlaws. During our next spotlight we will take a look at this season's 2nd overall pick in the SMJHL draft, Defenseman Corey Kennedy. Kennedy is the highest pick in Anaheim Outlaws' history. We will pick the brain of this up and coming talent very soon

Until next time, this has been your Saloon Spotlight.

Outlaw Observer Press

(Word Count 1,017)

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws  HIRO!!

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Outlaws

[Image: ThdtxoF.png]

|| Fujikawa Player Page || Update Page ||

Hiro!!!
Panthers

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Prospect pool is deep with talent, right here is just one of our future superstars. Hiro is gonna be a stud! Panthers

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]