Create Account

A Rookie Perspective – Week 2
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019, 01:06 AM by thiefofcheese.)

(First non-draft post so I think that's 2x??)

As I’m not great with role-based media articles I hope to document my rookie season (and possibly more if I continue to starve for that almighty dollar) through weekly media posts.   In this I hope you can see the league through the eyes of a first -time sim player and long-time hockey fan.  Last week came in hot and heavy run and required performing the initial signup, figuring out how the hell this fake hockey site works, a massive Reddit draft, and meeting a new team.  I came in with a modest TPE for the draft class and hoped to have things keep rolling into week two, and boy they did.  With this week came a lot of learning, some good times in the LR, lots of work, and even some drama. 

Things got rolling first thing Monday when I started working on my activities that come along with the SMJHL budget director role.  While a set of rules exist, I learned that the SMJHL hasn’t been using a real salary cap for several seasons and BadWolf is hoping to get things back in line for S50.  There was no SMJHL budget sheet and task number one was to start working on pulling something together.  I dove into the rulebook and created a pretty straightforward sheet to capture the basic player data, salary, TPE, and player type (Rookie, Send Down, Inactive Free Agent, Active Free Agent).  There are a few different budget rules for each player type, so I created a few checks to ensure that each player type is receiving at least the minimum required salary that corresponds with their type and TPE level.  I shared this with BlastAway who gave a few pointers but by-in-large blessed the format.   Each team’s GM is to provide a “mock” budget sheet to meet the projected S50 ruleset and I have since gotten all the budgets for each SMJHL team into the sheet with the exception a single team.  So far so good.

I also received my Rookie salary deposit this week and took the opportunity to go on a bit of a spending spree.   A few of my fellow rookies managed to get some equipment purchased before last week’s updates and came into the preseason and Week 1 with a bit of a headstart on me.   I couldn’t possibly let that stand so made sure to spend every dollar on some gear and boosted my TPE considerably.  I got a 30 point boost this week, so that’ll be very nice coming into Week 2.  I did, however, manage to miss a digit in my math and had the ever helpful Lethbridge Spy, SDCore (@sdcore), call me out on it.   So don’t look at my update page, OK?

This week also began my official fake hockey career.  Early in the week we started S49 SMJHL preseason and things started rolling immediately.  The games were simmed very quickly and within 2 days they knocked out the 50 game schedule.  I had a decent showing among the rookies, but didn’t come out with anything overly special to talk about.    Played 869 minutes with 17 points and a +3, but not topping anyone’s charts.  I feel good about my FO wins (1121 taken at 51.47% win) but need to pick up the pace to keep the progress going.   I am lucky I’m in a position to play the 1C spot so my wingers are very good and continuing to light the lamps on a regular basis.  

We’ve now started S49 and have 7 real fake junior hockey games under my belt.  I’m damn near a veteran now.  I’ve managed to scrape in 5 points through those 7 games, 3 of which were via the Power Play.  Our team is currently upside down on the win/loss ratio, but hope that’ll change coming into week 2.  Our nearly capped goalie was called up to the bigs up until now so we’ve been running on a 155 TPE Inactive Free Agent and he’s getting lit up pretty badly.  Once Patrick Niederreiter is back, I think we’ll solidify the net a bit more and hopefully get a few more wins in there.  I know it’s completely unreasonable, but gotta say that I’m a bit disappointed Ivan isn’t doing better.   I realize it takes time and this week’s TPE boost should definitely help, but it doesn’t stop me from cussing the screen when the stats aren’t going as I want.

Oh and I am also extremely grateful to my team to give me the honor of being an alternate captain in my rookie year. Anaheim has been extremely welcoming and really a great crew to be around.  I hope to earn that privilege throughout the season and hopefully through many more seasons to come.  

And there can’t possibly be a post about this past week without talking about some of the big SHL drama in the trade of Nikolai Evans (@ztevans) and Anastasia O’Koivu (@pris) to Tampa for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in next season’s draft (which is the Reddit draft too so going to miss a big pool of people – especially me!), 1st and 2nd in S51 and a huge defenseman in Akashi SixNine (@FourFour).  Being the rookie that I am, I wouldn’t know how many waves this would cause, but clearly it did so.   The forums lit up with the news and discord was ablaze with talk about it.   Did ztevans and pris ask for the trade?   Did Tampa overpay?  What about fourfour?   Why aren’t people talking about Hamilton walking away with some pretty sweet payment?

I think that’s all for this week’s view.  Stay tuned for next week’s view.   I’ve also been working on a bit of a team analysis since I’ve got a bunch of player and cost data available so gonna try to do something a bit different in the coming week or so.  Just wanna get a green light from the boss man before sending it through in case any of the data is less than public knowledge (though I doubt that’s the case). 

Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws

And GO OUTLAWS!

Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws Outlaws

(1014 words)

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Beauty

[Image: urawa4.jpg]
Special thanks to @Sleepy for the signature