Create Account

Interview: Aksel Fiske Hopes to Make a Splash (x2 First Media)

by Merril Monroe / SHL Staff Writer

Aksel Fiske, busy with preparations for the SMJHL draft on Sunday, managed to squeeze some time in his schedule for a quick interview.

To catch readers up on the young forward, Fiske has floated below the radar for most of his early career, having only a brief mention in scotuing circles when he came to Canada as a young teen. Growing up, he'd practically lived at his local rink, when not in school or helping out at his family's market.

"I took to the ice like a fish to water," the Bergen native told us. "My coaches had me playing with the older boys, but I didn't understand what that meant until my father sat me down and talked about leagues in North America."

And just like that, he was alone in Canada at 13. But there was no awkward period for Fiske, he quickly became friends with teammates and was a positive force in the locker room. He wasn't a top scorer, and wasn't scouted as much as his teammates, but that didn't bother him.

"I've gotten some sweet assists." Fiske agreed when we reviewed his stats from years ago. "I've got a good eye."

Understatement of the century. Fiske is deadly with a puck. He doesn't even have to look for his teammates, seems to have a sixth sense for their presence on the ice. He defends the puck until he spots his opening, and then he fires off a pass. We spoke to some of his linemates, who agree that Fiske makes an incredible impact on the ice. When asked, none could even count the goals they'd earned due to the winger.

"I hope to be able to make an impact in the SMJHL, too."

Draft day is right around the corner, and while he can keep his cool on the ice, Fiske is no stranger to nerves. Unfortunately the forward hasn't had much time to train during the off-season, due to an ill-timed trip back to Norway. He's currently busy picking up the slack.

"Some GMs have reached out and we've chatted. It's all good things, and I'd be happy to join any team." While Fiske has spent his career thus far as a playmaker, he's up to learning new tricks. "I prefer to support, but I'm happy to undergo training and be whatever my teams needs. As long as I'm skating in games, I'm happy."

Aksel Fiske will be featuring in the Prospect Showcase this coming Friday and Saturday, on the San Diego Sand Lions. He hopes to rack up assists and prove himself as an asset to any GMs watching. He's also excited to play with his fellow draftees.

"They're all great. Whether they'll be my teammates or opponents, I'm excited to get to know them all better." Fiske has enjoyed watching the buzz grow as the draft approaches. "We're all excited. I hope the GMs can see that."

Fiske had to get back to training, and let us stay a bit longer to watch. The kid's got some raw talent, and he's ready for a Junior team to help him mold it into the beginnings of a great career.

(524 words)

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog