Create Account

Team Japan weighs in on the future, World Championships (Translated Article)

Note: This article has been translated from its native Vietnamese. Grammatical irregularities may occur.

As is always a treat, I got to sit down with several members of the Japanese IIHF roster, to discuss the growth of the game and their feelings regarding the middling finish to last year’s tournament.

I had the privilege of talking with forward Ryuuji Kawashima, defensemen Slavakov Vladimirashenko and Akira Ren, and the head of the IIHF Japanese program.

Duc: Season 65 was certainly a year of growth for Team Japan, how confident is the group this year that they can make some noise on the world's stage?

Kawashima: I think the confidence coming into this years IIHF tournament is pretty high. We have shown in the last couple of years that we can really contend with the rest of the world. Last season we had a small dip, not finishing in the top half for the first time in 5 years. I think we need to shake that off and focus on this year. I absolutely believe if we take our experience and what we have learnt over these last seasons we are poised for a solid tournament.

Vladimirashenko: I think we’re still confident in our group for sure, we had a lot of bad luck in S65 and we’ve lost Daydie and Westbroek to retirement, but with players like Allbran and Tanner hitting their stride and two solid young goalies in Pack and Devoir were in good shape to run at a medal.

Ren: Japan has been very consistent on the international stage for a long time. I’m confident that the group this year will have a strong run at the championship once again.

Valor: Last season was probably the worst season in recent memory for Japan, as we never got out of the group stage. This season we have a new young goaltending duo in Base Pack and Sir Devoir, so we’ll see what they can do for us this season. I think we have one of the best forward cores in the international scene right now and I think we’ll make the playoffs.

Duc: Over the past year, we've seen a significant number of players coming in from Japan, most intriguing being Toshiro Kohima, and Tang Tsujimoto, both currently free agents in the Major Junior league, what's been the buzz with them and are you excited by what seems to be a steady crop of players that seem to be riding the high of the national team's success?

Kawashima: It is amazing to see that the game we all love keeps growing and growing back home. It takes a lot of time and effort to make your way to the SMJHL and to see both these players making a move to make it there is great. Of course it is a long road to the very top and if they can keep putting in the work, who knows what they can achieve. Growth of the sport is always a part of the game I have been very fascinated in and a part of the game I hope to keep contributing to myself as well.

Vladimirashenko: For sure, Japan’s always been able to get a steady group of players that contribute at the National level with players like Valor, Kawashima, and Minamino, and it’s exciting to see guys like Devoir, Bara, and Kojima rising up looking at being those next top Japanese born legends.

Ren: Really excited to see a new crop of players join Japan and hopefully carry on the team’s legacy. I have high hopes for both of them and as some of our older players retire, we will be looking to players like them to carry on the Japanese IIHF legacy.

Valor: I personally think that these two are some of the best talent that Japan has raised in a couple of seasons, they simply have a playmaking ability that you can’t find anywhere else. I’m quite excited about the young group we have been developing recently. We want to get the gold medal back to Japan to prove that Asian hockey is a powerhouse for the foreseeable future.

Duc: Japan is undoubtedly the hockey powerhouse of the Pacific, and the success of Japanese players in the SHL is on full display, what is the one thing that stuck with you through training and working with the national team that you think every player took with them to North America?

Kawashima: It might be a bit cheesey, but whenever I spend time with the team, it is on full display that everyone just loves the game. At the end of the day it is a job, but I think for many of us it's a job second and just a fantastic experience first. Just to be honoured to be able to do something you love in front of so many people who also get a kick out of it. It really is something special.

Vladimirashenko: I think it’s the discipline, if there’s one thing the Japanese coaches instilled in us it was knowing your role and making sure you executed it, and I think that knowledge has carried over to all of our games in the SHL.

Ren: I think we always pride ourselves in training consistently and having a good work ethic. The journey to being a star player in North America is never an instant thing and takes a lot of determination. I think the National teams does a great job of supporting players and instilling them with a strong work ethic.

Valor: The biggest secret to how Japanese players are taught is that they are always told one important rule, and that is "There is someone above you in life". Eventually when they came over to North America, amateur scouts try to discount us because we aren’t from a "true hockey nation". So Japanese players are truly destined to define all odds and play at their peak every night.

Duc: Recently, plenty of hockey talents have come from other Asian countries that have looked up to the Japanese team as a sort of big brother program, recently a Vietnamese player who had trained with Japan led his team to upset China for a bronze metal at the Asian Games last month, what would you say to players like him looking to break into North American hockey that have looked up to you and your countrymen?

Kawashima: First, I would like to say how much I have enjoyed watching these countries develop over the years and, Hải Nam Hoàng is just a statement to how well the growth of the game is going. Secondly, it feels like an honour for them to have looked up to us. I hope they can continue their path, continue the grind and continue to grow and become better and for them to become the idols of a new generation. It might not always be easy starting out and the jumps to the SMJHL and then to the SHL are big. I know that if you put in the work, the sky is the limit.

Vladimirashenko: I would say that it’s an honor to be a model for any players looking to make the jump to North America, and while it may be a difficult transition at times, always remember that with hard work and dedication you will be able to achieve your dreams.

Ren: It is honestly quite flattering and I’m truly grateful that me and my colleagues on team Japan have paved the way for other Asian players to pursue a career in hockey. I would tell aspiring players to keep their heads up through the ups and downs, work hard, and most of all; enjoy the journey.

Valor: In my opinion, the grind never stops. You have to keep pushing through, you’ve won a bronze, that’s tough, you have to push for a gold or you’ll be too soft mentally. Also, do you your research on where you might take your talents to, because research is key on where you future might be and if you’re on a good squad or not.

-
Post-Script: At the time of this article’s publishing, Hai Nam Hoang has transferred his eligibility for international tournaments to Japan.

Related stories:

> Inside America's new Pacific cruisers

> Chinese team weighs in on tough losses

> A viewer's guide to the SMJHL Playoffs

> 3 arrested in fishing phishing scam

By Duc Huy

Word Count: 1456

[Image: TRVzgUB.png]

GrizzliesGrizzliesGrizzliesMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchsMonarchs

shl-oldshl-oldshl-oldUsaUsaMonarchsMonarchs

Japan Japan Japan

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Let's go Japan!

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Japan

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]