Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1 - An afterseason reflection at QCC (ICly)
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2024, 12:03 PM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

What a season. I remember the beginning of what was my first season at the SMHJL, a hot streak to start with and incentivice us into aiming ever higher, yet humbled as time went on. As things stand, the team has managed to wind up just about the middle of the table, a stark contrast with the glorious QCC from last season, who rose higher and higher, claiming the first place for themselves. And yet, there's hardly a sense of powerlessness, let alone dissapointment. With 9 whole graduates, the team that I would soon take part of faced an extremely daunting challenge, not only did they have to completely rebuild their ranks (with the defense being the most compromised aspect at that), but they also got to integrate, instruct and plan around the new assets and prospects that would arise. As such, the team came to face a lot of pressure from the very moment the drafts took place in last season, and I must say, both the direction as well as the players have done a fantastic work at keeping the spirits up, and QCC competitive.

Looking back on it, it's incredible how it's been a year already. At first, one hardly can grasp the weight and extent of a decision such a player being drafted in one team or another, how that could bolster them and allow them to reach new heights or otherwise be drop that spilled the glass. It's true that as a rookie, the expectations wouldn't be so sky-high as compared with the veterans. Yet the opposite also is true, as a newcomer to the league, I was yet to pay my dues, to push myself every game and to prove by and large that as a player I can remain competitive, that not only can I stand my ground against the best, but in time I may stand toe-to-toe with them. But as of right now, I find myself pleased, QCC has been a great opportunity for me as a player, the team chemistry and spirits did plenty to aid in a smoother transition for me. I certainly try to remain optimistic about the future, yet the fact is, chances are next season is likely to be just as tough, if not far more, as yet another 7 of our companions are due to step up from the SMJHL, so while this year provided plenty of opportunities to learn and grow up, I can only feel the real challenges are just about to rear their heads, and the expectations too, shall adjust accordingly. Well, good thing I've never been a slacker myself huh?

I'm not extraordinarily privy to tactics and the larger field knowledge, though I'm slowly and steadily getting the hang of the ropes. This is something I've been keeping an eye out for and am eager to achieve a better understanding of in the near future. Speaking of which, it's difficult to set up expectations, as this remains too much of a changing scenery to me, and as mentioned, is impossible to surmise the consequences of yet another major team rebuild. As for myself, My own strenghts and shortcomings have been made clearer than ever to me, and I see a way forward. I plan to go on polishing my skills and learning new tricks, my goal is to become a pillar for this next generation QCC, to support in our short-handed moments as well as to ensure we can seize and turn opportunities into points. And to do so, I aim to become the cohesive elements that keeps this machine well-oiled and able to keep functioning to its fullest potential.

Now beyond just the field, it's true that I should be looking to take a more proactive role into the team's dynamics. As our seniors move out it'll be soon enough our role to carry on the torch and carry the QCC spirit for ourselves, as well as future players (remind myself to bring them to Dennys later!). For as long as we keep our heads up and welcome these challenges as opportunities for growth, I'm certain that QCC will rise back up in the ladder, much much sooner than they'd have ever have given us credit for... But for now, one step at a time...

Approved @Fluberwusterdinge

[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: CptSquall.gif]