Create Account

Spruill selected 14th overall in NWJHL draft

On the edge of Western New York, near the Canadian border, lies Buffalo, the Queen City. Her glory days are a bit faded, but that doesn't stop the fans. Their passion for their teams doesn't rust - in fact, it is as strong as ever, and - in hockey at least - it's growing.

In a small house on the outskirts of the city, Jackson Spruill straightened his tie in the mirror. It was the biggest night of his life - the NWJHL entry draft. With one last check - hair, tie, coat - everything in order! - Spruill went to the car where his parents waited to drive to Toronto with him for the draft.

It was Jackson's first trip to the Air Canada Centre, home of the SHL's Toronto North Stars. He hoped it wouldn't be his last. After being shown to his table, Jackson walked around, shaking hands with the assembled NWJHL GMs, trying to leave a last-minute good impression. The bell rang. As prospects and team representatives took their seats, Wadey, Teztify, and Seth - the NWJHL commissioners - made their way to the podium.

Spruill knew he wasn't likely to be selected in the first two rounds. Selection after selection passed in somewhat of a haze. Jackson could feel his body applauding, could vaguely hear the names being announced through the anxiety. He managed to make out the name Keys, a name he thought he'd hear sooner. The one coherent thought shook him out of his reverie just enough to hear the phone at his table ringing.

Jackson picked up and promptly dropped the phone, the receiver slipping through his shaky fingers. It was Prince George Firebirds GMs Raymond3000 and OCAirlines, calling to say the words he'd been dreaming of since he first laced up his skates. "Jackson, we're going to take you next."

[Image: 0.jpg]
Jackson Spruill crosses the floor at the NWJHL draft

"The Prince George Firebirds are pround to select Jackson Spruill with the 14th overall pick." By then Jackson had collected himself... somewhat. As he walked across the floor to the stage, a thousand thoughts darted in and out of his mind. Am I walking too fast? Do I look too anxious? Is my back sweaty? DON'T TRIP! Don't bump anyone! Get up the stairs... good... firm handshake... too firm! Relax! SMILE!!!

[Image: 340x245.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000]
Spruill fails to pull the sweater on as GM OCAirlines watches skeptically, wondering if he made a mistake

Smiling, Spruill took from OCAirlines the sweater that he'd be wearing for the next season - maybe two - and pulled it over his head. Well, he almost pulled it over his head. The neck got stuck on his carefully-groomed (and embarrassingly over-gelled) hair. No problem! Spruill backed out a bit, tugged again - voila!

[Image: nhl-draft-hockey_hasc-2_s640x533.jpg?d8d...908c107704]
14th overall pick Jackson Spruill poses with Prince George Firebirds GMs Raymond3000 and OCAirlines

After the sweater incident, Jackson was finally able to relax. He'd always been a goofy guy, and being forced to laugh at himself snapped him right back into his comfort zone. As he made his way back to his table and the waiting arms of his parents, he wore not only a Prince George Firebirds jersey, but also a smile a mile wide.

Ilike

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

I already had to re-use a picture though... stupid rookie picked a guy who's still in juniors for his pictures. But thanks for the thumbs up! Smile

Quote:Originally posted by ChibiPooky@Sep 29 2012, 05:01 PM
I already had to re-use a picture though... stupid rookie picked a guy who's still in juniors for his pictures. But thanks for the thumbs up! Smile

LOL. It's never too late to change Wink

Quote:Originally posted by ChibiPooky@Sep 29 2012, 11:01 PM

Ah well, I have the same problem with Kuhnhackl, you'll get used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore btw :D

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Payment:

Word Count: 539
Professionalism/Thoroughness: 9/10
Interest: 9/10
Form: 9.5/10

Payment: 350k

Comments: Really good job on this article, I truly enjoyed reading this. Keep of the good work and keep writing articles like this Smile

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers