Create Account

What Cant Just Did

<div align="center"> What Cant Just Did </div>

Few thought that a depth pick in a weak defensive Draft class, could somehow turn out to be a top Defenseman. But the Los Angeles Panthers took that gamble and with the 17th overall pick in the S11 Entry Draft they selected Brandon Cant. Cant, a former 5th round pick of the Kelowna Knights in the NWJHL Rookie Entry Draft was a bold choice by LA in the second round.

[Image: letang.jpg]

Cant struggled to maintain a roster spot on the rebuilding Panthers as he slowly learned his way around the League. Appearing in all 50 games his rookie season but managed an embarrassing 6 assists and a (-11) rating. But the Panthers tried to be patient with Brandon's development, knowing their depth pick wasn't going to be as good as some of the Defensemen already selected like Roman Schultz or Benoit Fortescue.

But Cant wasn't as patient with management and quickly demanded out. Appearing in just 6 games with Los Angeles in S12, Cant recorded just a pair of assists. But then came the move to Hamilton. Fresh off their S11 Challenge Cup victory, the Steelhawks were continuing to build up their S11 core. Already having added standouts Rehn Miller, Roman Schultz, Shawn Swerin and Cyan Winters from the S11 class.

Cant began to elevate his game in his new found home. He worked his way up the roster and in the final 44 games that season Cant scored his first goal and added 13 assists. He would go on to finish with a positive rating that year on the strength of a strong Steelhawks team.

But that strong team would soon begin a painful rebuild, one that would shed many veteran players and shuffle the young core up the depth chart and into the spotlight. Many would wilt under such pressure, but Cant thrived.

In a season marred by trades, bad press, injuries and sad goodbyes Brandon Cant became what few thought possible. Cant had his breakout season in a year Hamilton was counted out. Posting career highs in nearly every category, Cant helped lead the Hawks to yet another Playoff appearance. His six goals and 33 assists in 50 games made him Hamilton's third leading scorer. His (+16) rating was the best of the Steelhawks this year. Cant was an offensive catalyst on a team struggling to score and his 39 point season placed him 10th in the League among Defensemen.

While superstar players like Captain Kevin Lebacon and Corey Tripp are the ones who usually get the spotlight, it's players like Brandon Cant who can turn bad seasons into a team success. Nobody expected the depleted Steelhawks to enter a rebuild and the Playoffs in the same season. Nobody thought Hamilton would stand a chance against the powerhouse teams of the East, let alone finish the regular in second place.

The Steelhawks success isn't based on the strong play of their star players like Joe McKeil and Rehn Miller, its players like Brandon Cant who step up and lead in bad times. Who are able to turn around struggling PowerPlay units and turn them into deadly threats. Cant was the only top four Defenseman in Hamilton to play every game this season and showed true leadership when he took on additional playing time and responsibilities when emerging superstar defender Roman Schultz went out injured missing eleven crucial games.

Already loaded with a talented blueline, Hamilton may have just uncovered the player every GM was hoping to Draft. What team wouldn't want a defensively responsible leader on the blueline who is also a dynamic young scorer and PowerPlay quarterback? Hamilton certainly does as they just signed the rising star to a three year contract extension.

Cant's sure to have every team's attention next year when Hamilton appears on their schedule. And as he enters the prime of his career, look for him to rack up several Stevens trophies in the coming seasons.

Code:
660 words

[Image: 0QGickG.png]

Riot Player Page Riot
Militia Update Page Militia

I had Cant on my draft list and was my next pick after Keenan Tongue

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Don't remind me of him :'(

[Image: MaU5eKD.png]
[Image: kECK2tc.png]

I stopped reading at "top defenseman"

Schultz there should have been a line somewhere like "super awesomo best young Hawks defensive scorer eva". Nice read and thank you. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by JVR21+Jun 14 2013, 07:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JVR21 @ Jun 14 2013, 07:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I had Cant on my draft list and was my next pick after Keenan Tongue[/b]

Cant > Keenan :ph34r:

You should've drafted me sooner, I was totally worth a first. Tongue

Quote:Originally posted by Taron47@Jun 14 2013, 07:11 PM<br />Don't remind me of him :'(

I miss you Taron! But Light is with the Bliz which means we're practically mortal enemies on the ice. :(

#ForeverShowerBuddies
#NoHomo

:lol:

<!--QuoteBegin-Bacon@Jun 14 2013, 09:47 PM
I stopped reading at "top defenseman"[/quote]

[Image: haters-gonna-hate-puffin1.jpg]

Cant is a bum.

Quote:Originally posted by Jme@Jun 15 2013, 07:13 AM
Cant is a bum.

Your bum is a bum.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers