Create Account

Asbjørn Alexandersen touches down in NA

[Image: TSN-Logo.jpg]

The Great Dane of the new class has finally arrived on North American soil and already the kid has been getting attention. Rumours of teams grabbing draft picks for next year to grab the scoring winger have run around the league as one of the possible early SHL Entry drafts. With one SHL GM declaring a possible future #1 draft pick the right after the paperwork was filed with the SMJHL head office and well before they have approved entry for the Copenhagen native to enter the draft. We at TSN finally got a chance to sit down with Asbjørn to see what he thinks of North America and what it is like to be a known associate of Dave Smith.

[Image: 120628_cafe_08.jpg]

Interview Welcome to North America kid what do you think about it so far?

In all honesty... its a beautiful place and I've only gotten to quickly grab my bags from the Pearson International Airport where Dave picked me up to let me stay with him until the draft and get used to North America. Just got lucky enough to take a trip with Smitty to Vancouver so during our lay over time I figure it be a great time to call into the show and introduce myself.

Interview What's it like staying with someone of great experience in the league getting advice on how to make your career better? Do you think this relationship could actually increase your stock in the jr draft and maybe the SHL draft?

Living with Smitty... crazy! The guy has done everything in the league so his ideas, wisdom and stories are one for the ages... Most of those stories I cannot share as they are too personal for me to share but I take in everything he's said and tried to make heads and tails out of it... but it's hard that's for sure. The draft stock... of course it does.. Smitty told me Jr GMs love finding the few who know some past 'legends' to try to build their team around. The Jr world is critical and every pick and every free agent signing is so detrimental that I cannot begin to explain it to you.

Interview Any of the Jr teams reach out to you yet to see if you are interested in joining them?

Not right off the bat... But Kelowna's Kez made a little poem for me expressing interest to join. But every other team not a word... Which is surprising... I guess everyone is waiting for the draft and the league to finalize the paperwork.

Interview What would happen if you got drafted to Vancouver... given of course your mentors major history with Vancouver?

In all honesty.. I can never match up to what Smitty brought to Vancouver either as a player or a manager... Hoisting Vancouver's first Four Star Cup as a captain and then returning to the city after some dark ages to win back to back Four Star Cups as a GM and then to open the Whalers Hockey Hall of Fame. Trying to replace what Smitty did for Vancouver... impossible! All I can do is play my own game and have some fun.

Interview Any team you want to go to?

I wish the Firebirds were around... what is this Regina Force... A force of what... wheat and land? What on earth is their logo all about. But all kidding aside if I got drafted to the Force I'd go willingly... but I am open to all teams as its a new season and everything is so different.

Interview As a Dane you are technically a free agent when it comes to International Hockey.. was this done on purpose or do you have some plans with it?

It was sort of on purpose.. Denmark is my true home and if I do decide to take on another team it would need to be a team I can actually help. If I do stick around I'd want to go to a team based in Europe just got to see what these Federation Heads have in store for me since who wants to be only a 4th liner for a dominant team that isn't really fun.

Interview Any SHL clubs you'd want to go to if you could pick right now?

I love LA.... I was introduced on the phone to their GMs Wasty and Morley before I flew over and if I could join that squad... I would most definitely do that. Any other club.... time will tell but that's why we have the big boy drafts right.

Interview We haven't done this before but if you want... we can open the phone lines from the viewing audience to see if anyone has any questions for you.

Let's do it... I feel like answering some questions... Smile

---

Interview We would like to thank Botta's for his call in but we now got our first question... when you are ready caller we are ready for your question.

Quote:Originally posted by Fernand126+Jan 24 2015, 11:04 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Fernand126 @ Jan 24 2015, 11:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Nice article, mate. Smile

Q: How far would you be willing to go to get international minutes? There's lots of talk about Russia and their massive recruiting efforts. Are you attracted to that? Could activity by the manager be a deciding factor?[/b]

How are would I for international minutes... well technically Russia is part of Europe so they could be in the conversation. It most depends on the teams future expectations and also what they want from me and future goals. Most activity from the International front has been from Sweden and Norway to actively recruit me at this moment. So I am not sure if Russia does have an interest in me. When it comes to the international deciding factors.. a good sales pitch and goals could make things great. Thank you so much for the question Smile

Interview Alright guys.... looks like we got another caller... and I hear he has lots of questions to ask... Take it away caller.

Quote:Originally posted by Mark H@Jan 24 2015, 01:17 PM<br />What are you expectations for the draft?
What are you expectations for the season? What NHL player would you compare your play style with? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

What am I expecting for the Jr draft.... top 3 pick and possibly a top pick depending on if a team wants a forward or defence. I think our potential top 3 picks are just a matter of "does someone want a forward/defencemen" in the draft. If I were to compare myself to an NHL player... I would have to say someone like Phil Kessel.... Here to score the goals but if I dish the puck out to someone be surprised. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop... every time I try I fail to figure it out since I just want to enjoy the tootsie pop.

Interview During the wait your phone rang and it seemed important... care to share what that was?

Oh haha.... don't worry ijust talking to Russia about possibilities of joining their Federation... It's a competition and its essentially all about... What can I bring to the team... how do you plan on using me with the team... My phone is always open about this idea... as much as Russia is making it tempting.. I want to meet with a handful of teams so my phone is always open.

Interview oh hey.... your still here kid.. Thought you left.... sorry about that I thought you would have just left after I fell asleep. But I'm actually glad you stuck around... we got some more calls... Let's hope they are some easy calls for you given all the drama in the league so far.

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Jan 26 2015, 05:49 PM<br />Rank the 6 SMJHL teams in order of desirability (worst to best). Rank the 12 SHL teams in order of desirability (worst to best). Rank the IIHF nations in order of desirability (worst to best). How do you see yourself developing headed to the draft? Will you modify your style of play to meet the needs of your respective teams (SMJHL, SHL, IIHF) How will you juggle all 3 needs?

Hey thanks for the call and such a difficult one with that... The problem with ranking Jr teams is that each year there is a possible dynamic that changes and you never know. So far if hearing Detroit is picking up its returns of a top 6 group I don't think that is where I want to be. Kelowna would be a good place to go but there are so many options... teams aren't figured out and I want the draft to occur so we can get some more ideas on who can play where and etc... too many variables with the Jr leagues which makes it fun.

Now off to the SHL.... I'm a Dane so I don't know how well I will fit in Mexico City so I am going to put them on the list.... Then there is Minnesota... I just don't know the dynamic of this team well enough to rate it so I can't really tell you much there. The other 10 who knows... But my favorites would be Texas, LA, Edmonton, Toronto.. Why have I made this my list... well these teams all have their first round picks and I would enjoy getting a chance to be with these teams.

The IIHF teams... I like the following teams in no order... Norway, Sweden, Finland (really impressed with the Fins) and also Russia. Everyone else... no communication so no ranking there.

The draft you say... I think I'm going top 3 in the Jr draft.... and should be top 2 in the SHL draft... depending on who has the pick and team needs. When it comes to my player and the teams... There is room for flexibility but the core will always be there. Let's face it... I'm here to score some goals... if you don't want a goal scorer you wouldn't be interested in me....

Interview Well it looks like there isn't anymore callers.... oh crap. We just got another... let's patch him through... Oh it's Bottas... that's cool... patch him in.

Quote:Originally posted by vbottas77@Jan 26 2015, 06:07 PM<br />Have you enjoyed your return to the North Stars? Could you see any of the younger North Stars developing into elite SHL players? Is there a player(s) that stands out? Alexandersen sounds like a Norwegian last name .. why not just play for Norway? What skills will Alexandersen focus on developing in the SMJHL before making the jump to the SHL?

Returning as a member to the North Stars with Smith has been great. Toronto was the team I considered my first SHL home so when they acquired me from the now Mexico City Aztecs... it was great for me since I had my mind set of joining Toronto in the draft but Toronto had traded those picks since they believed the team now the New England Wolfpack (formerly Hydras) were going to take me but they grabbed Cesar Jr... so I slipped and was available when Toronto could have drafted if they didn't move the pick. The future of Toronto is great.. and this franchise could surprise if everyone decides to stick together and keep working hard. I honestly can't pick one over another but really looking forward to seeing Ocho's career unfold and hope he doesn't try to clock me to be honest.. Alexandersen has had serious discussions with Norway to possibly joining... It all depends on where the fit is... and when the Jrs can get approval of their player so I can make a decision. I'm here to score you some goals so you'll see a lot of development in the ability to score goals, hold the puck and to move the puck... Might see him willing to pass it a bit more but it all depends on what happens with me and how much time I have available to train.

Thank you both for the questions.. they were fun and tough!

Interview uh oh.... Russia's calling again....

You know what to do

<!--QuoteBegin-Fernand126@Jan 26 2015, 06:37 PM
Another question: would you be more inclined to join Russia if a bunch of us sent customised personal messages?[/quote]

Well I don't want to get people in trouble since league rules say I need to be approved first and I don't want the tampering rules to be enforced.. Even though I don't care about them since I have declared first nationality as Denmark and then as a dual national I think I should have the right to explore and speak with interested Federations out of the gate. Lots to think about for a possible long career.

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!

Great article, I always enjoy the interview's. Alexandersen will be a star and a great influence on other junior league players. Whichever team he ends up being drafted by will be lucky to have him!

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Nice article, mate. Smile

Q: How far would you be willing to go to get international minutes? There's lots of talk about Russia and their massive recruiting efforts. Are you attracted to that? Could activity by the manager be a deciding factor?

thanks for the question... I have answered it in the OP Smile

--
more are welcome Smile

Code:

What are you expectations for the draft?

What are you expectations for the season?

What NHL player would you compare your play style with?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Nice read!
Good luck Smitty!

thanks birks..... and all questions updated in the OP.... more can be asked away

Code:

I'm bored... and that shit show about the Azetcs is getting boring.... ask some questions here Smile

Code:

Rank the 6 SMJHL teams in order of desirability (worst to best)

Rank the 12 SHL teams in order of desirability (worst to best)

Rank the IIHF nations in order of desirability (worst to best)

How do you see yourself developing headed to the draft?

Will you modify your style of play to meet the needs of your respective teams (SMJHL, SHL, IIHF) How will you juggle all 3 needs?

Have you enjoyed your return to the North Stars?

Could you see any of the younger North Stars developing into elite SHL players? Is there a player(s) that stands out?

Alexandersen sounds like a Norwegian last name .. why not just play for Norway?

What skills will Alexandersen focus on developing in the SMJHL before making the jump to the SHL?

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Another question: would you be more inclined to join Russia if a bunch of us sent customised personal messages?

PS: This was said in a jokingly manner. No intention of disrespecting any rules.

i had some fun with all these questions Smile

Code: