Create Account

Buster Killington's first statement Welcoming all questions

I've prepared a statement explaining my background and other things. If you're one who isn't for reading such introspective, autobiographical banter, then you should skip this and ask questions. I'm fine with repeating myself. We are talking about me, after all.

At any rate, I feel as though I've written it in such a way that won't make you fall asleep. You must pardon me if I'm mistaken, though, for my circuitous word choice and superfluous vernacular are a result of my fine British lineage. The Killingtons are a family that, sadly, Canadians and Americans like most of you have overlooked in your history textbooks - but I implore you to take advantage of search engines.

But ah, yes, my statement.

A cricketer in my youth, I never considered hockey a practical outlet until my outdoor pool froze over in an uncharacteristically cold Windsor winter. Although mother assured me it wasn't safe, I strapped steak knives onto my work boots (yes, even high-borns have to work every month or so) and took to the ice. Playing polo and cricket and other silly British games made me take to stick-handling quite quickly. I still can't get the hang of passing, but that will come with time, I suppose.

I had a stellar secondary school career at Phillips Exeter, in New Hampshire. I still hold the record for penalty minutes in a season and, until just recently, career goals. It's certainly not new by any means, though. The English Hampshire is much nicer. After school I went back home to play in the Elite Ice Hockey League.

Recently I've felt that I need a change. Playing ice hockey for England is fine, but the British league doesn't attract nearly the talent I'd prefer to be surrounded by. I'm sure the Queen understands that I must do a bit of travel to broaden my horizons--and even further defend her Crown in the IIHF. The SMJHL seems like a great starting point, even if I am quite older than most of the field. Age is but a number, after all.

I'd like to see myself end up in Kelowna, since they seem to have a grip on the rest of the league. The SMJHL is, though, strictly for development. As nice as a Four Star Cup would be, I'd much rather know that I was playing for a great GM and being taught how to play the right way. For instance, St Louis had 2 of the top 5 assist-men. Perhaps all they need is a goal scorer [from Britain] to have a chance!

To conclude, I wish to hear from anyone and everyone! It's better to have heard from me now than hear about me later. Wink

Uk Buster "Buzz" Killington Uk

Quote:Originally posted by pizzarony@Mar 27 2015, 03:57 PM
Interview You state that you'd like to be a part of the Kelowna Knights. Are there any teams you'd prefer to stay away from? Even if it's just something silly, like dislike for the logo, or town?

Yes, well, I've become enamored with Kelowna from afar - their dominance is beautiful to watch. To be a part of that would be great. I will say, though, that upon visiting Detroit, I can't see myself playing very well there. To go from where I've been to that city of squalor would be a massive culture shock. Also, although Regina has a royal history, I've never cared much for Saskatchewan because I have a hard time spelling it (much less pronouncing it), so that'd have to go as well.

Quote: Interview Is there any rookie you hope gets drafted to the same team as you?

I'd say nobody in particular. As a late entry, I understand that not many teams may take the time to get to know me--which is why I presented this statement. Conversely, I haven't really gotten to know anyone in the rest of the field. I am a rather agreeable person, though, and I'll just be delighted to play with the up-and-coming talent and SHL stars of tomorrow!

Quote:Interview Are you related to Buzz Killington?

Heh, I've fielded this question for years now. We are not related in any way. The famed "Buzz Killington" is named that because he's actually from Killington, United Kingdom. I carry the Killington name through an elaborate and pure bloodline before the town of Killington was even established. It's a common misconception, really.

Quote:Interview Vancouver is a pretty nice spot and in fact even in the same province as Kelowna. Much interest in playing there?

I'd be fine with landing in Vancouver. They have a few good rookies coming back--rookies that actually scored some points in the box score--and it won't take too much for them to overtake Kelowna. There are quite a few players on there who seemed to have great seasons - Knight, Abell, and the Willisons, to name a few. Sterling Knight's production on both ends is astounding as well. If I went to Vancouver, I'd be motivated to break the Kelowna streak with the help of some great players.

Quote: Interview Are there any players around the SMJHL that excite you to play with or against?

Well, like I mentioned before, as a late entry I haven't really found the time to interact with the SMJHL players or the incoming draft class. That said, I've known Hans Ponsen for a while now through an international soccer league we both used to play in. I actually still commission the league (but don't worry, I can do that AND play at my top level at all times). It'd be grand to play with Hans like we used to - only with skates on this time. From what he's told me he's ready to develop another season in the Juniors, so who knows?!

Quote: Interview What drew you to take such an interest in hockey growing up or say soccer or rugby?

Without getting too Freudian, I think it may be in part because my mother was so against the idea of me playing on the swimming pool many winters ago. Other than that, I started getting great at scoring! I did play rugby and cricket through grade school, and I still play football on occasion, although most of my efforts are now focused on hockey. For me, the pace and majesty of the game truly set it apart from the rest of the sports. It has the violence of rugby, the speed of polo, and the majesty and power of cricket. It's a beautiful game.

Quote: Interview Is there a player from Kelowna you look up to the most or someone specific who makes you want to play for them?

Well at first it was pretty much Hans. Our chemistry on the football pitch was nearly unparalleled. There was a time he was on a hot streak and I coached him through it from the sidelines--he really started to make a name for himself before coming to this league. We've been 2- or 3-sport men since childhood. Hard to believe a Swede and Brit could make such quick mates. Other than Hans, I'm interested in the other rookies that may not have shown up much in the box score but will help me through experience. Johnny Bravo and Slappy McDoodle, for instance, have already been on the same line for a year and have had moderate success. On Kelowna, I'd look forward to gaining some wisdom from them in an effort to improve chemistry.

[1101 Words]

[Image: OaSEcaw]

Interview You state that you'd like to be a part of the Kelowna Knights. Are there any teams you'd prefer to stay away from? Even if it's just something silly, like dislike for the logo, or town?

Is there any rookie you hope gets drafted to the same team as you

Interview Are you related to Buzz Killington?

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Interview Vancouver is a pretty nice spot and in fact even in the same province as Kelowna. Much interest in playing there?

Interview Are there any players around the SMJHL that excite you to play with or against?

Interview What drew you to take such an interest in hockey growing up or say soccer or rugby?

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]

Interview is there a player from Kelowna you look up to the most or someone specific who makes you want to play for them?

Thanks for the questions, everyone. Now I have one: Do I formally submit this for grading or will someone look at it?

[Image: OaSEcaw]

They'll give you a payout whenever they do the next bunch

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]