Create Account

Top Forward Lines in the League Today

<div align="center">Top Forward Lines in the League Today
Happy family day to everyone in Canada, except BC who chooses to be different and celebrate a week early. Since everyone has been updated and the Blizzard top line is absolutely crushing it I thought it’d be fun to see just how “good” each top 2 lines are on each of the 14 SHL teams. I measured the 28 lines based on 3 criteria: Talent, Production and Efficiency.

Talent – Raw TPE totals.
Production – Raw point totals.
Efficiency – (points/TPE)*1000.

Now obviously we are only 13 games in and a lot can change through the remaining 38, but I with some of the amazing rookie production thus far I thought this would make for an interesting article. Perhaps I’ll post an updated one at the end of the regular season and see just how much it changes.</div>

Top 5 Most Talented Lines:
1. 4919TPE Dragons Randleman [1917] – Pedersen [1512] – Anrikkanen [1490]
2. 4592TPE Wolfpack Russell [1665] – Bure [1708] – Silverwing [1219]
3. 4175TPE Blizzard Kane [1709] – Sarantez [1234] – Koroviev [1232]
4. 4058TPE Dragons Jagr [1404] – Laflamme [1390] – Creller [1264]
5. 4058TPE Riot Colt [1332] – Brumm [1363] – Lloren [1363]
Now obviously the challenge cup contenders over the last few seasons will appear here. Perhaps the biggest takeaway is just how stacked the reigning challenge cup winners, the Calgary Dragons, are. Not only do they possess the most “talented” line in the league, but their 2nd line is the 4th best. As we’ll see shortly, talent doesn’t always equal production though, or even wins if you happen to look at the standings.

Top 5 Least Talented Lines:
24. 2420TPE Riot Sirmais [680] – Wilson [741] – Bursyuk [999]
25. 2213TPE Stampede Stamkos Jr. [761] – Selich [834] – Angello [618]
26. 1998TPE Steelhawks Ross [768] – Eichelele [503] – Kennedy [727]
27. 1771TPE Steelhawks Westbrook [602] – Atmey [597] – Kylrad [572]
28. 1420TPE Chiefs Glover [480] – O’Rourke [422] – Howard [518]
Least talented is a poor choice of words given that the large majority of these names are rookies (or sophomores at best) but for the purpose of this article it made the most sense. I found it interesting that the Riot are the only team to possess a line in top 5 and bottom 5, albeit it was literally the 5th in both ranks.

Top 5 Most Productive Lines:
1. 55p Blizzard Kane [22] – Sarantez [16] – Koroviev [17]
2. 38p Stampede Stamkos Jr. [13] – Selich [11] – Angello [14]
3. 38p Riot Colt [10] – Brumm [15] – Lloren [13]
4. 34p :admirals: Lundberg [12] – Banananov [18] – Aumeisters [4]
5. 33p Steelhawks Westbrook [11] – Atmey [12] – Kylrad [10]
As I mentioned in the title one of the main reasons I put this together was due to the surge of line 1 in Edmonton and to no one’s surprise they are above and beyond the most productive line thus far with a 7 point lead on the next line. There was a 3 way tie for 5th with Fleming/Onoprienko/Pellegrino out of Winnipeg and Rowe/Wert/Flamel in Toronto, but I thought I’d give some love to the rookie line in Hamilton.

Top 5 Least Productive Lines:
24. 18p Riot Sirmais [2] – Wilson [7] – Bursyuk [9]
25. 18p Renegades Allen [9] – Boyka [6] – Owen [3]
26. 16p Chiefs Glover [9] – O’Rourke [5] – Howard [2]
27. 13p Platoon McDoodle [5] – Falk [7] – Volkova [1]
28. 8p Platoon Linna [2] – Smirnov [5] – Light [1]
Once again the Riot crack the top 5 and bottom 5 of another metric, but if talent is directly translated to point production it was to be expected. Perhaps the most glaring stat is the lowly West Kendall Platoon possess the top 2 least productive lines. Although not the most talented (11th and 9th respectively) they are definitely underperforming and would benefit the most from a repeat article (assuming they turn it around).

Top 5 Most Efficient Lines:
1. 18.63 Steelhawks Westbrook – Atmey - Kylrad
2. 17.17 Stampede Stamkos Jr. – Selich - Angello
3. 13.17 Blizzard Kane – Sarantez - Koroviev
4. 12.30 Stars Rowe – Wert - Flamel
5. 11.59 Chiefs Iqbal – Flacko – Nova
Now here’s where it gets interesting. As mentioned in the title efficiency was calculated by a weighted total, specifically points generated per point of TPE. The young guns out of Hamilton and Buffalo are greatly exceeding expectations and as a result are currently in a playoff position, but that could change quickly and should be interesting to see by season’s end. Lastly the high flying pairing out of Edmonton are definitely putting their high TPE totals to good use cracking the top 3.

Top 5 Least Efficient Lines:
24. 5.15 Renegades Allen – Boyka - Owen
25. 5.08 Dragons Randleman – Pedersen - Anrikkanen
26. 4.93 Dragons Jagr – Laflamme - Creller
27. 3.37 Platoon McDoodle – Falk - Volkova
28. 2.27 Platoon Linna – Smirov – Light
Definitely two story lines here. At the bottom two we have the platoon, which is a result due to poor performances thus far (see top 5 least productive). The next two we find the Calgary Dragons, or more specifically two of the top 5 most talented lines in the league. At 25 and 20 points apiece, they are by no means unproductive, but given their high TPE totals the Dragons certainly expect more. The most notable takeaway is just how direct the translation of TPE to point production really is, or non-direct I guess. Obviously categories like passing and shooting help immensely, but secondary categories, such as hitting, defense, skating, faceoffs, etc. help to improve your overall game and may not always show up on the score sheet. Case in point, given the results last post season I'm sure Calgary couldn't care less if they possess 2 of the top 5 least effective lines thus far in season 33. For next time it’d be interesting to try a different algorithm, one that puts some weight in categories outside of just point production such as hits, shots and blocks.

[940 words]

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

rip chiefs second line

*edits in +/- for tiebreaker to beat buffalo

Do not know how to feel with no Winnipeg lines being represented.

:-?

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

Rough start for the Platoon. We'll hopefully pick it up as our Line Scientists figure stuff out.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Aggrieved

Quote:Originally posted by Samee@Feb 20 2017, 04:07 PM
rip chiefs second line

Yeah... About that...

@Carpy48, @sulovilen, and @Ragnar are signature gods
[Image: MaverickLegend.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]
Dragonite

Carry me more Fleming PLEASE

[Image: RBQhWRP.png]
[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

Quote:Originally posted by Bonk@Feb 20 2017, 06:19 PM
Do not know how to feel with no Winnipeg lines being represented.

:-?

Perfect time to use Ninja and walk away.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

So u sayin I GOAT line maker

[Image: hallsy.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Legend@Feb 20 2017, 06:39 PM

Yeah... About that...
rip

Stampede

[Image: 6Xj1IWG.png]

Player Page || Update Thread || Signatures

[Image: PoQh1Wx.png] [Image: rmu9FS0.png][Image: VxdFjLy.png][Image: QKcW3J4.png] [Image: RoypPRF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by ThatDamnMcJesus@Feb 20 2017, 07:36 PM
So u sayin I GOAT line maker
ya

[Image: TommyWestbrook.jpg]
[Image: UznKCpb.png]

Atmey and Kylrad efficient as fuck Falcons

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]