Code:
Ready for grading
Word Count: 1044
Double Media

SMJHL DRAFT.

April 6th, 2017.

7:30 EST.

Best day of my life so far.

Sophia Bennett nervously awaits her name to be called amongst the fans and her family at the SMJHL draft center. One name was called prior to hers, "Robert Phelps" drafted first overall, she expected to hear a couple names before hers but to her surprise she heard her name get called out 2nd Overall by the Vancouver Whalers.

She sits fiddling with her hands with a big smile on her face in front of a group of reporters.

“Hello, my name is Sophia Bennett I am a right wing player for the Vancouver Whalers and I will now be accepting all your questions regarding my new team and draft position”

Reporter: “Did you expect to be drafted second overall? “

Sophia: “To be honest with you I always had a feeling I would be going in the first round and maybe late second. A lot of the talk around the league got back to me, so I kind of knew what to expect... it made things a little easier. However I was not expecting to go second at all, there is so much talent in this draft class it caught me by surprise. Overall I am thrilled to have been selected to play with the Whalers and I can’t wait to get started, this is truly a dream come true. “

Reporter: “Do you think you can live up to the expectations of such a high pick? “

Sophia: “Absolutely, I have worked so hard just to get to this point I’m not going to just let it go easy. I’m going to train every day to be a better and bigger player and work on my skills. Hopefully ill have a good enough year so I can make it into the SHL draft next season. But yes I believe I can live up to those expectations. “

Reporter: “Where do you think you fit on your new team? “

Sophia: “You know what, I actually haven’t had too much time to think about that. It’s still a little early to say but looking at their roster I think I will play 2nd or 3rd line for this season, there’s a lot of other skilled players that have been there for a few seasons but I’m hoping I can catch them. “

Reporter: “Being a girl headed in to this draft was there ever any doubt in your mind you wouldn’t be drafted? “

Sophia: “No actually, I had a lot of support from my fellow draftees and wasn’t treated any differently from any of them. So I actually want to take the time to thank them for that. Even though I’m small I have the skill to protect the puck and play offensively. I’ve had a lot of support from all of my family and friends which made things a little easier on me. “

Reporter: “What are your first impression of the locker room? “

Sophia: “The locker room is very active right now, all the rookies are buzzing around and getting to know everyone on the team. So far my everyone has been very welcoming and the experience has been great, I’m just really excited to get things started. “

Reporter: “Do you have any specific goals for this season on the Whalers? “

Sophia: “Well it’s a little early to say….. But I think every players dream is to win the cup so I’d be lying if I didn’t mention that. I think my biggest goals for this upcoming season is to hopefully get lots of playing time and be able to help the team offensively. I also want to train a lot harder this season. I think those are my most important goals right now. “

Reporter:” Do you know much about your new team? “

Sophia: “I did my fair share of research before this draft, a couple general managers had reached out to me strongly and they were one of them so I kind of know what type of player they wanted and needed. I know they are a part of a rebuild this season and I want to be able to get them back on top. “

Reporter: "What do you think of the players drafted to the Whalers from your draft class? "

Sophia: "I think there's lots of talent... we have the first overall draft pick from this draft class... what more can you say. But to be completely honest every single one of the players who were drafted by the Whalers are going to make an impact, I think we're going to do great this year. "

Reporter: "How many seasons do you think you’ll spend in juniors?"

Sophia: “I would probably say two or three seasons in juniors. I don’t want to rush my development and jump too fast into the SHL. I need to spend some time learning how to play in such an elite league first, but I know when the time is right the team management will make sure that I am ready. “

Reporter: “Is your family here with you, is this something special for you and your family? “

Sophia:” Yes, my mom and dad, my two brothers and my boyfriend Matthew. This is a very special time for all of us. Matthew had his draft last week so that only hyped this event and me up even more. Maybe even one day we will play on the same team but for now we're rivals [laughs]. But yes this is a super special day for all of my family and myself and I am so excited to finally say all of my hard work has finally paid off. But it doesn’t stop here, I’m going to continue to make myself a bigger and better player and hopefully be drafted into the SHL next season. “

Reporter: “Thank you for your time Sophia. Good luck with in Vancouver this season. Go enjoy and celebrate with your family during this special time. “

Sophia: “Thank you, I appreciate it. “

She stands up, shows the crowd a big smile, waves and walks out of the room.

Reporter: “I think we’re going to like her. “

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

good stuff!

Whalers

[Image: SigStorm.png]
[Image: QHLWtic.png?1]
san francisco group of cats - mikael koskinen
quebec city citadelz  - mikael koskinen

Vancouver's got a real talent here.

[Image: aAYOBeR.gif]
[Image: tumblr_meoc0uZ0am1rkroj1o1_500.gif]
#Quest2Play4EveryTeam

Expect big things out of Van City ladies and gentleman.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Great stuff as expected! Stoked with you and the rest of our selections. Cheers

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

VAN got a real one here

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]