Create Account

Chiclets Guarantees a Four Star Cup Appearance by Dick Shivers

Dick Shivers here in Vancouver, as the Whalers hold a press conference on the night before their big series against Kelowna! I'm here with Chippy Chiclets of the Vancouver Whalers!

Dick Shivers: Chippy, it's your first playoff game tomorrow, and the first for many of your teammates as well. What do you think about the atmosphere around Vancouver?

Chippy Chiclets: To be honest, Dick, the past few weeks have demonstrated to me just how much of a hockey town this is. On past teams, I've seen the ferver die down a bit after a team clinches and before the playoffs begin, but the excitement in this city has been only building. Me, Isak, and Rossi all went out on the town last week before the first round began, and I can't begin to tell you how many people on the streets stopped us to talk, wish us good luck, and sneak a few whiskeys our way. We had a great night partying with the city, but we know what's ahead and what we must do. I've never seen our team so ready to take on a bag skate as I have seen us the past week.

DS: What do you think is key for the Whalers as they attempt to add another Four Star Cup to their collection?

CC: I think we just need to stick to what we've done all season long. The defensemen and I need to continue to protect Carrick Murray and make sure that the shots that do end up getting to him are manageable. We need to push the play while being patient enough to make the smart passes, not just the first available. I think that our forwards are in a grinding mindset, and they're going to stay strong on the forecheck and work hard to get those dirty goals. I've been told the playoffs are a different monster, and I think it's the environment that will give me the opportunity to elevate my game.

DS: While not publicized, knowing you personally I've gotten insight to how frustrated you were this season. What do you think held you back?

CC: I just didn't have the legs to go a full 20 minutes a night. I realized that there was a missing link between what I wanted to be doing, which Vancouver facilitated perfectly, and what I could do, which was where I failed on my end. I've noticed Coach mixing up the lines and giving us opportunities to find new chemistry, and I think that's helped. I got into a rut throughout the season where the shots I was able to get to the net just weren't going in, and I've been working with the great staff here in Vancouver to pick my shots more carefully and become a multi-dimensional player. I think that if I can add slicker passing to my game, I can become more unpredictable and make things work for my shot more easily. I have no doubt that I will be an impact player this offseason.

DS: Impact player, what do you mean, Chippy?

CC: I think I've turned a corner and will be able to be more effective. I started seeing things come together at the end of the season, against teams fighting for a spot no less. I'm here to show SHL GMs that I can be a franchise defenseman for their club. For me it's do or die: play well or be relegated to be just another player. I know in my heart I'm not just another player. That I can lead a team on the ice, both with my actions on the bench and on the ice. I don't think any GM has a doubt of what I do for a locker room, but I do think there are doubts surrounding what I can do on the ice. I will clear those up this offseason.

DS: That's some strong words...

CC: Let me cut you off, Dick. I am guaranteeing a Four Star Cup appearance from Vancouver. Kelowna's victory parade started way too early, and I'm going to let them know that. They have no idea what's coming for them. We will hit harder then them. We will hustle more than them. We want this more. This isn't something we decided to do in the last 15 games of the season, this is a plan we put in motion the day after the Draft and have executed to perfection. I might ruffle some feathers, but I don't care. Kelowna doesn't have the discipline to rack up four wins against us. I will personally make sure that every player on that roster knows that they don't hold a candle to us, and that every fan in their arena will never see a four star cup so long as they have to go through Chippy Chiclets to do it. Mark my words, Vancouver is going to the Four Star Cup.

[Image: 1905c1290569414900508712ecad9113-micdrop06.gif]

Wow, that was as riled up as I've ever seen Chippy Chiclets before. I'm sure that Kelowna won't take those kinds of words lightly, and Chippy will have a target on his back all series long. This series has already started to heat up and we may see it boil over tonight. Tune in to see if Chippy can back up his big talk, or if Kelowna will continue with the momentum to knock off one of the strongest cup contenders we've seen this season!

Code:
900 words