Create Account

Jets Captain Prepares for One More Season, Son Readies for Draft
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2018, 07:58 PM by ztevans.)

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

READY TO GRADE - 1700 WORDS

Before the Winnipeg Jets departed Manitoba for Game One of the Challenge Cup Finals against the West Kendall Platoon, Jets captain Zach Evans and his son Nikolai gathered with the assembled media for a joint press conference, at which the elder Evans announced his retirement from the SHL following Season 45 to focus on Nikolai’s hockey career.

“I think I still have enough in the tank for another full season,” Zach Evans said. “Hell, some would probably argue I have more than that. But I’m ready to take a break from the grind and enjoy the rest of my life, and I’m eager to see my son’s development as he has chosen to follow in his parents’ footsteps, so to speak.”

Nikolai Evans expressed his excitement to finally pursue his professional career, announcing he would be in the Season 45 SMJHL Entry Draft.

“Obviously, I have to wait to officially file the paperwork, but I will be entering the SMJHL Draft,” Nikolai Evans said. “It’s time for me to take the next step in my career.”

While Zach Evans will have another season to add to his resume – a season where he will likely eclipse the 600-point mark for his career – he has already established himself as one of the greats in the proud history of the Winnipeg Jets. Drafted fifth overall in the Season 31 SHL Entry Draft as the first draft pick by the organization following Damian Littleton’s resignation, Evans played on the Season 37 Challenge Cup Champion team.

The remarkably consistent Evans has scored no fewer than 45 points every season since S35, a decade-long streak which he extended with another 45-point season this year. Evans currently sits fourth all-time in Jets scoring with 584 points, behind Vidrik Onoprienko, fellow S31 draftee Jason Visser, and Luke Fleming.

Evans’ best season came in Season 38, when he led the league with 65 points, with 27 goals and 38 assists. That year, Evans was honored with the Sarmad Khan Trophy, the Jeff Dar Trophy, and the Damian Littleton Trophy.

That makes Nikolai Evans’ arrival particularly interesting, as he is the offspring of two award-winning SHL players. Along with father Zach’s accomplishments, mother Ekaterina Rudnikova enjoyed an 11-season goaltending career, winning the John McBride Trophy with the Texas Renegades in Season 40.

Nikolai has established himself in his youth career as an electrifying offensive defenseman, with incredible skill for his age. This season, he played at an above-point-per-game pace for the Winnipeg Wild, as they won the Manitoba Midget Hockey League's Jack Forsyth Trophy.

He has also proven to be a brash, outspoken youngster who has not been afraid to talk about his success or ruffle feathers. That was on display during the media availability, as he was asked about the next step of his career.

“I mean, there isn’t another player in this draft class that has my pedigree,” Nikolai Evans said. “Not even that sieve Aleksi [O’Koivu-Volkova]. So yeah, I’m good enough to play in the SMJHL, and I will be good enough to play in the SHL.”

The elder Evans couldn’t help but shake his head and laugh at the son’s proclamations.

“He might have gotten some of his hockey ability from mom and dad,” Zach Evans said wryly. “But I have no idea where he got the mouth from.”

While Nikolai is proud of his lineage, he made it clear he had no intentions of riding his parents’ coattails.

“I’m going to be my own player,” Nikolai Evans said. “As soon as I was old enough to know this was what I wanted to do, I knew I wanted to be a defenseman so I wouldn’t be compared to my parents as a forward or a goalie. People are already asking me if I want to go to Detroit or Colorado to play where they did in juniors. The last time I checked, all eight junior teams paid the same, and they all play for the Four Star Cup, and you can win awards playing for any of them. I don’t give a damn.”

As for now, Zach Evans still has unfinished business, as he seeks a second Challenge Cup and prepares for one more season as captain of the Jets.

“It’s nice to get this part out of the way, honestly,” Zach Evans said. “It’s a decision that’s been on my mind for a while. Now that it’s out there, I can go back to playing hockey and trying to win this team another Cup. Hell, maybe two more, not to be greedy. That’d be a nice way to go out, wouldn’t it?”

Nikolai couldn’t let his dad have the last word, naturally.

“The most important thing is that you’re going out, old man,” Nikolai Evans joked. “Let the fresh blood take it from here.”

OOC: Obviously, this isn't "official" until I post in the appropriate sub-forum, which isn't going to happen until the offseason starts. But I had some time while watching the Canes lose to the Leafs, so here it is.

I'll save the thank-yous and shoutouts and such for the real retirement post. I am opening this up for questions about either Zach or Nikolai, so fire away.

FlappyGiraffe: Winnipeg Legend Jets

Best of luck with Nikolai!

Thank you, sir. Looking forward to a strong conclusion to Zach's run.

Insayne: What kind of d-man is Nikolai?

Going with an offensive defenseman. Similar to my GOMHL guy for the folks over there, but shoot-first. So he'll probably lead the SMJHL in assists during a send-down year because Simon T.

Is he a fan of SCOR and who is his favorite driver?

Nikolai is a front-runner, so he's an unabashed Danny Vandoorne fan.

Are you upset your son chose the path of being a beta defenseman instead of an alpha forward?

IC: "I'm just happy he's going to get the same chance I got to pursue a career in this sport, and hope it all works out for him."
OOC: It's definitely going to be an adjustment, but I'm looking forward to the change of pace. And actually blocking shots. Even by forward standards, Zach was always a shitty shot-blocker even during his peak. It was uncanny.

Who is Nikolai's render going to be?

Matthew Tkachuk.

Toronto sucks. No questions here.

Agreed.

Do you have any preferred destinations for the SMJHL or the SHL? Are you gonna want to go through the Detroit Falcons/Winnipeg Jets system(s) again or are you going to make a point of branching out this time around?

I won't say I'm going to "make a point" of branching out, but I'm also not going to make any demands, either. Wherever I end up, I end up.

Evok: What do you have to say about the fact Zach Evans isnt really old enough to have a son in age to enter the draft ?

Honestly, has more to do with never updating my age in my drop down. The bigger question is how Katya popped out a baby while winning the Tom Corcoran Trophy for the Mammoths, but fuck realism.

Bonk: Big news!
Zach is definitely one of the greatest Jets of all time.
A true class act. Gojets

That means a lot from you. Thanks, Bonk. I know that with you, StamkosFan, Nictox, Gaia, etc. coming up the pipe, the Jets forward group is going to be in very good hands without Zach Evans around, though.

Grapehead: big if true

[Image: giphy.gif]

Samee: in Russia age doesnt care

In Russia age cares you.

Zoone16: Now THAT is a major surprise. Here I thought that we'd both go on until we hit the 20% regression or something.... On the other hand... I guess Nikolai might be an interesting draft choice :thinking:

I've always known in the back of my head I woudn't stick with it as long as guys like you, Avakael, etc. have discussed fighting the battle. I honestly had my eyes set on next summer's Reddit draft, but the drag of fighting regression just got to be too much for me. I was ready to build a player again, and with some changes going on IRL (I swear I'm going to actually record a podcast in the next day or two and discuss that further), the timing just made sense.

To your second point :eyes: ... it's going to be really interesting to see how I stack up in this draft in the eyes of a lot of the new GMs in the J this season. Obviously, 1OA is already off the table with ArGar in the class, and I'm sure there will be some youngblood who comes in with hellfire and brimstone to move into the early first as well. It's going to be a fun experience.

Avakael: Devvo. But at least you're not leaving the site. Evans should have a fair crack at HOF- a cup and a league MVP are both hard earned.

We'll see. Granted, I have added another Cup since you said this. But otherwise, my career compares well to my old boss, Luke Fleming ... and he's not in the Hall ... yet. Championship player, key player on title teams, but really had a short peak at elite status. He still has time, and gained more traction last season, so I won't say it isn't in the cards for him. But if it's not in the cards for him, I don't think I'll get there either. It's definitely borderline for me, IMO. We will see.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2018, 09:39 PM by FlappyGiraffe.)

Winnipeg Legend Jets

Best of luck with Nikolai!

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

What kind of d-man is Nikolai?

Is he a fan of SCOR and who is his favorite driver?

Are you upset your son chose the path of being a beta defenseman instead of an alpha forward?

Who is Nikolai's render going to be?

Toronto sucks. No questions here.

Do you have any preferred destinations for the SMJHL or the SHL? Are you gonna want to go through the Detroit Falcons/Winnipeg Jets system(s) again or are you going to make a point of branching out this time around?

[Image: insayne.gif]

What do you have to say about the fact Zach Evans isnt really old enough to have a son in age to enter the draft ? Interview

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Big news!
Zach is definitely one of the greatest Jets of all time.
A true class act. Gojets

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

big if true

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

12-11-2018, 09:53 PMEvok Wrote: What do you have to say about the fact Zach Evans isnt really old enough to have a son in age to enter the draft ? Interview

in Russia age doesnt care

12-11-2018, 09:52 PMInsayne Wrote: Toronto sucks. No questions here.

How dare you Angry

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2018, 11:32 PM by Zoone16.)

@ztevans Now THAT is a major surprise. Here I thought that we'd both go on until we hit the 20% regression or something.... On the other hand... I guess Nikolai might be an interesting draft choice :thinking:

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Updated to here

Nikolai Evans

This calls for a major editing of my questions for your VERY OVERDUE podcast.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

cant wait for ya recreate buddie <3

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Devvo. But at least you're not leaving the site. Evans should have a fair crack at HOF- a cup and a league MVP are both hard earned.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Updated and submitted for grading.

Nikolai Evans