Create Account

Gibbles looks towards Sophomore Season

With a relatively quiet of season for the Grand Rapids native Collin Gibbles, we caught up with him at the local Outlaw Saloon Arena for a look towards the winger's second season here in Anaheim. 

Post Season: The post season was disappointing for fans of the new expansion team. After winning their franchise's first playoff game, the Outlaws lost the next 4 to fall to the Halifax Raiders. While outperforming the other expansion team, the Lethbridge Lions, during the regular season(Anaheim ended the regular season in 8th compared to the Lion's 10th). Many fans were disappointed in the early exit from the post season. Gibbles was noted by teammates to be frustrated in his performance, only scoring 1 assist in 5 games. 

"He seemed like a different player after those losses. We'd come into the arena for practice and the janitors would tell us he had already been on the ice for 2 hours. I think he's taking the losses pretty personally" - Unnamed Anaheim Teammate 

An early exit wouldn't deter Gibbles it seems as many locals reported seeing him running down the beaches and surfing just off of the coast. When reaching out for comment, Gibbles agent Fred Bear, informed us that his client would not be taking questions until the SHL draft. 

The Draft: Heading towards the S46 SHL Draft was an exciting time for the league. Like the SMJHL draft the year before, the league had chosen to expand by 2 teams(New teams include the New Orleans Spectres & Chicago Syndicate) as well as the Seatle Riot's move and rebranding as the Tampa Bay Barracuda. Such a large shake up in the SHL left all eyes on the incoming draft class. The class was listed as possibly the most stacked draft class in SHL history. The 9 Anaheim Outlaws eligible for the draft gathered on draft day in a team suite to await the news of where they would end up. The first round saw 2 Outlaws picked up by the Minnesota Chiefs, likely scouted by Minnesota Prospect and Outlaw Derek Bohne. During the second round at #29 Gibbles phone began to ring. The news flashed up across the screen that he would join his teammates Mathias Seger and Jerry Mander in Minnesota. Many draft boards had Gibbles going to the Chicago expansion team at #28  but a last minute trade moved them down 2 spots to #30 and allowed the Chiefs to scoop up another Anaheim player. The 3 teammates rejoiced and started planning their eventual moves to the land of 1000 lakes.

Gibbles has this to say at a post draft press conference. 

Reporter: How does it feel to be drafted to such a storied franchise?

Gibbles: I'm really excited to be a part of the Minnesota Chiefs organization. It is nice to see there will be a few familiar faces joining me from our awesome group here. 

R: Have you gotten any word on if you will be moving up immediately or will you be staying I  Anaheim for a bit?

G: I have talked with the Minnesota GM and we have decided it would be better for my career and development to stay in Anaheim for at least another season. We'll take it on a season by season basis from here on out but I think I have a lot I can accomplish here. I'm sure GM Dangles is happy to not lose all of the recent talent right away. For now I'm going to focus on my game and become the best player possible. 

R: You will be losing Derek Bohne on your line this season, how will this affect your performance?

G: It's always tough to lose talented players. Beans(Bohne) was a huge part of our offense last year and a large part of me almost being able to pick up the Rookie scoring title. We will obviously miss him as he moves up to the Chiefs roster, but we have some promising talent down the pipe at center. I think if I can get some good ice time with Hiro we will get our groove back. 

R: Your agent has said you didn't want to comment of the post season until the draft. Can we hear why? 

G: I instructed Mr. Bear to tell the media that. After not performing to my normal standard, I wanted to focus on my training and learning from my mistakes. I probably spent a week straight watching the game footage with our coaches trying to see where I could improve. I also wanted to take some time with my family after moving away from home. I'd like to thank my parents, friends, and family for their support over the past season. 

R: There have been reports that you have begun dating a Hollywood actress since moving out here. Would you care to confirm this?

G: I know you all have been chomping at the bit to hear about this. We've discussed it and I think this is as good a time as any to announce it. Come on out here honey. (from behind the curtain, not able Hollywood actress Anna Kendrick emerges and stands next to Gibbles) We have been seeing each other since halfway through the season and are happy to finally make it public. We won't be taking any more questions on the subject, but we thank you for giving us a vehicle to share our relationship with the world(Anna exits back stage after a quick kiss, to many cheers from the present Anaheim players) . 

R: How are you preparing for the next season? 

G: I'm getting to the Arena every day and  making sure to work on the mental game too. I've been getting some of the guys together to work on making our team chemistry even better. I think we will shock a lot of people this next season. 

G: That will be all for now. I'm going to go celebrate with Anna, my family and the rest of the team. I can't wait to see all of the fans on opening day at the Saloon. 

The Preseason: Gibbles was pretty quiet leading up to the Anaheim preseason. Many fans claimed seeing him entering the Arena early in the morning. Gibbles was also sighted with new partner Kenrick attending the Academy Awards and walking the red carpet. Many are labeling the duo as Hollywood's Cutest Couple. 

The fans grew excited as the first game of the preseason. The Outlaws would be hosting the last season's champs, the St. Louis Scarecrows. Gibbles hit the ice to thunderous applause as the first lines were announced. Gibbles seemed even more fluid on the ice as he began taking the rookies through passing drills. 

The preseason started slow for Gibbles as the coaches tried out new line combinations with the new talent to see how well certain players clicked. During the halfway point, everything seemed to line up as Gibbles began returning to form. 

Many fans cited the turning point as game 16 where Gibbles notched 1 assist and then scored the shootout winner against the visiting Detroit Falcons. Gibbles then pointed up towards his partner Kendrick in his family suite and made a heart symbol with his hands. 

Gibbles would end the preseason with 5 goals and 19 assists for a total if 24 points. Many fans have been hoping to see Gibbles and Fujikawa continue on a line as we approach the start of the season. 

The Anaheim Outlaws will host the Detroit Falcons in the season opener in just a few days. We look forward to seeing what Gibbles can accomplish in his sophomore season in Orange County. 

Grant Nudgent ~ Anaheim Associated Press

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]