Create Account

Contender, Pretender, Anchor

It’s time for another addition of Spidey’s Contenders, Pretenders, or Anchors.

Are teams in top standing positions really contenders? What does a team need to do to take the next steps? Are struggling teams truly bottom of the league right now, will they stay that way?

We are just under half way through the season right now a lot can change, where will it all end up. I am taking my stab at which teams will maintain their play and which teams could see a change in standings as the season progresses.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWFOUNDLAND BERSERKERS: 20 – 4 – 1

Top Scorer:
Erik Erikson – Center – 20 goals, 16 assists, 26 points, +23 rating.

Top Goalie:
Rhett Carpet – 14 – 1 – 1 record, 2 Shutouts, 2.61 GAA, .910 Save %

Newfoundland has found success in their 5 on 5 play this season and phenomenal goaltending. They have put up an impressive 39.76 shots per game while scoring an incredible 114 goals so far this season. Their penalty kill has been solid at shutting out opponents at an 82% while on the disadvantage. Their only weakness would be their powerplay, they have only converted 17.3% on their attempts. If they figure out their powerplay they could easily become the SMJHL champions again this season.

VERDICT:
Contender

This team has everything needed to not only make the playoffs but contend for another SMJHL championship.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAINE TIMBER: 18 – 4 – 3

Top Scorer:
Peter Tingle – Center – 13 goals, 24 Assists, 37 points, +20 rating.

Top Goalie:
Bradiagh Lomax – 8 – 1 – 0 Record, 1 Shutout, 1.97 GAA, .900 save %

They have played defensively sound hockey. Limiting opponents’ chance to give their two young goalies every chance to keep them in each game. They have only surrendered 25.36 shots per game, with an 82.2% penalty kill. They have done this while keeping pressure on their opponents with 42.88 shots per game. Once again power play is a little lacking at 19.1%. Their biggest weakness, goaltending, will soon be secured with the training Bernard Lodge is putting in, once he is caught up to mid-tier goalies this team will be ridiculous.

VERDICT:
Contender

If they find a way to convert a few more power play opportunities and the play of Lodge improves this will be a very good team, and we could see a rematch from last year’s final.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEVADA BATTLEBORN: 18 – 5 – 2

Top Scorer:
Alekss Ivanova – Center – 16 Goals – 29 Assists – 45 Points - +26 Rating

Top Goalie:
Luka Nogoalov – 12 – 4 – 2 Record, 1 shutout, 3.48 GAA, .893 save %

Last year’s MVP Bender Junior had a slower start to the season but has been picking it up of recent. Alekss Ivanova has been on a tear, and the entire team loves to score goals. This team lives and dies by the powerplay owning a ridiculous 27.3% successful conversion. If their offense is held in check, good luck with that, their defense is suspect. A 76.1% penalty kill, and the highest goals allowed per game of the top 3 teams in the league, with 3.48.

VERDICT:
Contender/Pretender

I think they are a playoff team, don’t get me wrong. But I think we are pretending if we believe they are elite. They have a huge defensive problem that needs to be addressed and if teams can keep their powerplay in check or take fewer penalties against the Battleborn they could be in trouble.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YUKON MALAMUTES: 15 – 8 – 1

Top Scorer:
Theodore Svatos – Right Wing – 16 Goals, 16 Assists, 32 Points, +4 Rating

Top Goalie:
Gunnar Seggi – 11 – 6 – 0 Record, 1 Shutouts, 2.98 GAA, .890 Save %

Ride or die on special teams. They have a great 25.7% power play and an 82.7% penalty kill. Both are fantastic numbers. Their shot for and against per game are mid-level, 35.75 and 29.58 respectively. They are trending to score 1 more goal per game then their opponents. Overall, this team is just solidly built from top to bottom, the rebuild is complete and they are a good looking team. Only one real weakness and that is young goaltending. If Gunnar can catch up they are looking good for a playoff run.

VERDICT:
Contender

Not only are they a playoff contender, but they are also a dark horse for the cup itself. Keep your eye on the Malamutes as they continue to build towards their cup run.

VANCOUVER WHALERS – 14 – 9 – 3

Top Scorer:
Klaes Ashford – Center, 17 Goals, 19 Assists, 36 Points, -4 Rating

Top Goalie:
Noah Charlevoix – 10 – 6 – 2 Record, 0 Shutouts, 3.57 GAA, .899 Save %

I will say I am a bit disappointed by Vancouver, I had them pegged as the team to beat in the preseason. They have great special teams’ stats, 28.9% power play, 80.4% penalty kill. They are putting up an impressive 4.35 goals per game on 34.5 shot per game. Their Achilles Heel is their 5 on 5 defensive play and as opponents are scoring at will on a nearly identical 35.5 shots per game. If they can shore up that defensive play they could easily work their way back into my preseason expectations for this team.

VERDICT:
Contender

I say this cautiously. I know they are a playoff team and they have proven they can play defense (look at that penalty kill), but if they can’t figure it out 5 on 5 they could struggle in the playoffs against some of the top teams in the league.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGINA ELK:

Top Scorer:
Gritty McGritterson – Center – 24 Goals, 16 Assists, 40 Points, +11 Rating

Top Goalie:
Ally Mathieson – 8 – 8 – 1 Record, 1 Shutout, 3.34 GAA, .898 Save %

This team needs their phenomenal power play to win games. A ridiculous 31.4 % conversion rate sits near top of the league. Without their overpowered man advantage, they would be sitting in a much different position right now. Their goals for and against per game have the against with a slight lead, 3.52 vs 3.59. They get fewer shots then their opponents in general 838 vs 904 on the season. And their penalty kill is struggling 75%.

VERDICT:
Pretender

This team will continue to struggle to win games, if their power play falters or they get fewer opportunities they do not have the overall fire power their opponents have on their rosters. Could they make the playoffs, possibly but they will not go far once they get there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAROLINA KRAKEN:

Top Scorer:
Johnny Wagner – Right Wing – 13 Goals, 20 Assists, 33 Points, +2 Rating

Top Goalie:
Sith Happens – 10 – 6 – 1 Record, 2 Shut Outs, 3.41 GAA, .902 save %

It is fair to say Sith Happens is playing above expectations right now, and likely keeping his team in most games. 2 Shutouts and a .902 save % show us how good the young rookie has been. The Kraken have an above average powerplay at 22.9% with a weaker penalty kill 74.3%. They have managed to out score opponents (99 goals on the year vs 94 goals allowed) while shooting less often than their opponents (810 shots for vs 868 against).

VERDICT:
Contender/Pretender

I am not sure if it is schemes in their system or their players under performing but they should be higher than they currently are. If they start getting more shots off per game like some of the elite teams in this league they will become a dominate roster, if they can not they will be a playoff team but not a cup contender.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST. LOUIS SCARECROWS: 12 – 12 – 1

Top Scorer:
Koing Wolf – Left Wing – 12 Goals, 20 Assists, 32 Points, +6 Rating

Top Goalie:
Kyle Baretto – 7 - 5 - 1 Record, 1 Shutout, 3.6 GAA, .893 Save %

Ok I will say it. How the hell are the Scarecrows a .500 hockey club! They are on the losing side of so many stats. Goals for vs Against (3.64 vs 3.88), Shots for vs against (30.64 vs 32.28), even their power play is only a hair above average 21.1% while their penalty kill is below average at 73.9%. Yet against my better understanding they are finding a way to get it done.

VERDICT:
Pretender

I just can’t see a way they consistently win games into the second half of the season. Their roster is more of a rebuild then a contender and they have more negative underlying stats, still the sim does what it wants so let’s see what happens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANCHORAGE ARMADA: 12 – 13 – 0

Top Scorer:
Tony Soprano – Center – 15 Goals, 26 Assists, 41 Points, -2 Rating

Top Goalie:
George Walsh – 10 – 10 – 0 Record, 1 Shutout, 4.22 GAA, .886 Save %

I can’t help but wonder where this team would be without their power play, it is a fantastic 25.8%. They are a but they heavily trail their opponents in every category without that exception. Giving up 4.6 goals per game and 39.4 shots per game vs 3.8 goals for and 34.2 shot for. This team’s penalty kill is also struggling 76.1% above the average but not in the top group. If they want to contend they are going to need to find a way to limit their opponents’ shots.

VERDICT:
PRETENDER

I don't like their chances of making the post-season. I believe they have heavily relied on a powerplay that cannot stay this high. Once that powerplay gives up they are going to be struggling to maintain their playoff position. (It could be I am cheering on the Knights here).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KELOWNA KNIGHTS: 8 – 13 - 4

Top Scorer:
Wilhem von Hindenburg – Center – 14 Goals, 13 Assists, 27 Points, -6 Rating

Top Goalie:
Activity Check – 5 – 3 – 1 Record, 0 Shutouts, 3.17 GAA, .912 Save %

This is a season of absurdity for the Knights. Starting goalie Tibuk has struggled mightily this season. Their offense which should have been a strength has struggled at 5 on 5 hockey only putting up 28.36 shots per game, their defense is below average with 37 shots. Their power play is above average 23.6% conversion, but their penalty kill has struggled 75.8%. When you aren’t putting pucks on net your opponents will out score you by a full goal per game difference 3.52 vs 4.56. The Knights need to find a way to get more shots on net.

VERDICT:
Pretender Anchor

This is a little different, they are sitting outside a playoff spot right now, but that could easily turn around. If they can find the right chemistry this roster has the power to win games. Once their goaltending gets their footing and they shoot more often this is a powerhouse team waiting to explode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLORADO RAPTORS: 9 – 15 – 1

Top Scorer:
James Ward – Center – 10 Goals, 16 Assists, 26 points, +2 Rating.

Top Goalie:
Scary Jerry – 9 – 14 – 1 Record – 0 Shutouts, 4.08 GAA, .881 Save %

HOW IN THE HELL ARE THEY WINNING GAMES…ahem, now that I have let that out. Here me out, 69 goals on the season vs 102 against. 26.72 shots per game vs 34.32 against. 14.8% power play and a 76.8 percent penalty kill. Arguably the penalty kill may be the one area that stands out as above average. Still this team is fortune enough to have Quebec in their division so they can claim that last playoff position.

VERDICT:
Anchor

If they squeak into the playoffs, it will be a quick elimination for the Colorado Raptors. They are lacking scoring power even if they start shooting more. Their lack of powerplay conversion shows they do not have the offensive ability to keep up with other teams.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUEBEC CITY CITADELLES: 9 – 16 – 0

Top Scorer:
Jeff Hunziker – Center – 16 Goals, 11 Assists, 27 Points, -11 Raiting

Top Goalie:
Net Man – 8 – 15 – 0 Record, 0 Shutouts, 4.05 GAA, .882 Save %

I honestly do not know how the Quebec Citadelles are sitting this low in the standings. They are out shooting their opponents 35.72 to 34.28 shots per game. They have a good power play percentage of 21.3% and a above average penalty kill of 76.9%. Yet they have struggled to put pucks behind the net on 5 on 5. Maybe it is bad puck luck, or it could be they don’t have the skill after their top 4 scorers as there is a dramatic drop off on goals per player after Nathan Comier. That would be their biggest need.

VERDICT:
Anchor/Pretenders

This team should be higher in the standings, they will be higher in the standings once they figure out how to score more, they could even be a cup contender if they manage to put it all together. Until then they are struggling to make the playoffs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT FALLS GRIZZLIES: 9 – 15 – 0

Top Scorer:
Dave Richardson – 5 Goals, 19 Assists, 24 Points, -10 Rating

Top Goalie:
CJ Sparks – 3 – 4 – 0 Record, 0 Shutouts, 3.5 GAA, .915 Save %

I am not sure what is going on with the Grizzlies this year. They have a roster that should be pushing to be competitive, but they have been struggling. They are putting up decent number of shots per game, 29.92 but surrendering 37.78, not terrible. They are over a full game difference between goals for and against per game 3.04 vs 4.21. Their special teams are lacking in power play 17.4% and above average in the penalty kill 75.9%. Once again this could be a roster that is not gelling. Luckily for them, no matter what they are in the playoffs, so they have time to figure out line compatibilities and work through these struggles.

VERDICT:
Anchor

We know they are making the playoffs, but what they do when they get there feels like they will struggle to make any noise. The fact they are in the same division as the Scarecrows and well below in the standings shows this team has some issues they need to figure out.

DETROIT FALCONS: 6 – 16 – 2

Top Scorer:
Billy Herrington – Left Wing – 26 Goals, 14 Assists, 40 Points, -4 Rating

Top Goalie:
William Boucher – 1 – 1 – 1 Record, 1 Shutout, 2.25 GAA, .926 Save %

The shinning stars of Detroit are doing everything in their power to win hockey games, Billy Herrington is leading the league in goals and is being chased closely by teammates 4 chainz and Tobias Wrexks. It is almost unfair because Detroit is putting up decent numbers during 5 on 5 hockey. But their penalty kills, and power play are dragging them down 72.9% and 17.8%. Goaltending has been another area in need of improvement this season with rookie starting goalie Wayne Holloway struggling.

VERDICT:
Anchor

Luckily for Detroit, they will make the playoffs being in a 3 team division despite being last in the league. They have the talent to shoot. But they lack consistent goaltending, and despite their top line excelling they lack scoring power behind them.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Anchor, I hardly know her! Falcons Falcons Falcons

[Image: cNHA4sa.png]

Good assessment on Carolina, Sith has been lights out for sure! That said, with 7 rookies in the lineup, i'm pretty happy with how they've held their own, but we always strive for more!

Media is a common spidey W tho

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

Beware of the Zerks!  Berserkers

[Image: Pi43cEV.png]
Big Thanks to @Sburbine & @Carpy48 for the dope graphic!
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/sgu3vVP.png[/img]

06-07-2023, 12:57 PMspidey Wrote: VERDICT:
Contender

Not only are they a playoff contender, but they are also a dark horse for the cup itself.  Keep your eye on the Malamutes as they continue to build towards their cup run.

Finally getting some respect around here!  Malamutes

[Image: 4cvtDWE.jpeg]
Edmonton Blizzard Co-GM
Yukon Malamutes Hall of Fame
[Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: fDB9MNX.png] 
[Image: 3j8MIXU.png]
Granny Panpan Count: 258

Yep, we're cheeks. Loud and proud. #yearofthegrizz

[Image: photostudio-1710898490476.jpg]