Create Account

Winter takes over as Firebirds GM

[Note: This was my submission for the SHL Off-Season PT, so I don't know if I'll get paid for this or not. I still wanted to post it here though because I just noticed that I hadn't written an article about my new job as Firebirds-GM so far and thought it might provide a little insight and maybe an enjoyable little storyline and fun read for some of you Smile.]

Winter takes over as Firebirds GM

David Winter is a well known name in the North American hockey scene. Drafted 3rd Overall in the Season 7 SHL Entry Draft by the Minnesota Chiefs, he has since established himself as one of the premier Forwards in the league and. Someone far less people know on the other hand is Erich Winter and that’s because he has just arrived in the motherland of hockey. The second member of the Winter-family that is trying to set foot in North American hockey isn’t, as you might expect, David Winters younger brother or his cousin, no. It’s actually his dad.
“Yes, that’s indeed right”, David answered when asked if it’s really true that the new Winter that just arrived with a smile if the new Winter entering his stage was really his father. “My dad actually arrived in Canada about three months ago, but has it kept very low-profile since then, because he didn’t want any details about his new engagement here to come out just yet.”

[Image: bei-den-frankfurt-lions-entlassen-erich-...imago-.jpg]
Erich Winter, father of German SHL-player David Winter

But then a few weeks ago, it was finally made official and Erich Winter was presented to the Canadian and American public for the first time… As the new GM of the Prince George Firebirds of the NWJHL, the team his soon actually laced the skates up for just a little more than three years ago! “It’s fantastic to see what’s happening in Prince George at the moment, I still have strong connections to the Franchise I spent my NWJHL-career with”, Winter told the reporters when asked about how he thought about the new situation. “To see that my father will now get the opportunity to work with the great bunch of people in Prince George makes me very proud, even though I’m not even directly involved in any of it.” In fact, David Winter denied that he was involved in the process that brought his father to Prince George and that he might have brought up his father’s name when he found out that the Firebirds were looking for a new General Manager. “The Firebirds old management actually approached me shortly after the end of last season, when it became obvious that their old GM would be leaving the team this summer. They told me that my Dad was one of the candidates they were considering for the job, and if I could help them out a bit in the process of the negotiations and of him moving over to Canada. That’s actually how I ended up spending most of my summer.”

[Image: premiere-kuehnhackl-514.jpg]
Erich Winter during one of his last Interviews as a coach in Germany

Erich Winter might still be a relatively unknown in the North American hockey world, but he isn’t in Germany. He has been a youth-coach for almost 20 years in his native country and had worked with many future DELers and even some current SHLers over there, including Dennis Seidenberg and Daniel Passarella. Earlier this Offseason his name had been in discussion around the DEL, as he was considered one of the top-candidates to take over one of the open coaching-positions in the DEL. That he decided to take his services to North America and the NWJHL instead definitely came as a surprise to many. “I think it’s most likely the fact that he’ll get the chance to be a General Manager here and not just a coach, as he would’ve been if he had moved on to the DEL”, Winter replied when asked about why he thinks his father chose Canadian Major Junior over German Pro Hockey, “And probably the fact that I told him so many good things about the Firebirds, the city of Prince George and the tremendous people there”, he added with a smile.

Quote:Words: 639

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

congratz!

[Image: RBQhWRP.png]
[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

Will never be as good as Zach Miller

Who said that!?

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

SWEET :D

[Image: TtSHTwn.png]

Player Page | Update Thread
[Image: VhDOEWm.png]

Oc is #1 GM. Except at getting free agents. We are doomed to failure in the department =p

Hmm... I had a 3k word article last year, but it was a PT so I was told I couldn't use it. BUT, I noticed someone in the SHL did this so I gotta ask a commish.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Quote:Originally posted by JmanPens19@Oct 8 2012, 05:00 AM
Hmm... I had a 3k word article last year, but it was a PT so I was told I couldn't use it.  BUT, I noticed someone in the SHL did this so I gotta ask a commish.

Yeah that's pretty much why I wanted to ask about it. Just like you I personally think that we shouldn't be allowed to post PT-submissions as articles, at least not for money. But if others are doing it, of course I'd like to get a piece of the cake as well Wink

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

Scummy Winter.

Just fyi is anyone is wondering... I've actually been the Firebirds GM for almost a month now, but it looked like barely anyone noticed the Announcement/Press-Conference back then :D

Here is the link to it: http://theshl.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=14979

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

Payment:

Word Count: 633
Professionalism/Thoroughness: 9/10
Interest: 9/10
Form: 9/10

Payment: 375k

Comments: Great job and congrats Smile