Create Account

Wastlund.. Overseas? Aftonbladet Exclusive

[Image: lrg_Aftonbladet.gif]

Wastlund headed to North America

Here at Aftonbladet we have been covering the Stockholm Stampede of the EEL from game to game and got to really know all the players, but it’s only a matter of time till those players either move on to other teams within the EEL or often to other leagues. Captain Niclas Wastlund has been featured in many articles over the course of the EEL season and after quite a strong first season of professional hockey we weren’t too surprise to see when the NWJHL of North America open its doors to the EEL players for the upcoming season that Niclas Wastlund’s name would jump to the top of people’s lists. As a 16year old defenseman for Stockholm, Wastlund posted extraordinary numbers for a defensive defenseman. In 60 games, He posted 24 points (4 goals and 20 assists) and was a plus 13 and 100 shots blocked. Coming in the top 10 of all defensive categories, Wastlund was more than expected out of the hulking 6’7 235 pound kid from northern Sweden.

[Image: article_29922_2.jpg]
Standing at 6’7 235 pounds what NWJHL team wouldn’t want this kid patrolling their blue line?

Although the doors are only open for one season and EEL players aren’t to take precedent over NWJHL prospects, Wastlund is looking forward to the chance to play in North America, “I’ve always dreamed of playing in North America but when the EEL came about I felt I should’ve stayed for a while in Sweden but with Stockholm, but given this chance to play in the NWJHL, I can’t pass up the experience,” Wastlund said. When asked if this move is going to be a permanent move Wastlund was very adamant about his intentions to return to Stockholm. “I’m definitely committed to Stockholm and the Stampede. The NWJHL season won’t interfere with the EEL’s next season so I am 100% coming back and helping my Stamps grab our first championship, this season ended on a bad note losing to the Royals and we have unfinished business that will need to be taken care of. I will fulfill my contract with Stockholm and I intend to continue as the Captain of my team,” Wastlund added.

Wastlund wasn’t too sure on if there was a team in the NWJHL that he would like to go, “I’m open to any team at this point, I haven’t really looked into the teams and the cities they’re in. I just want to play hockey and help a team as much as I can. I understand that I’m not at all going to be a focal of the squad and I’m there just to get the experience and help a team get through the season, I think my experience will be helping the players that are new to the league and even though I’m new myself, I have already been in that professional team situation and being a leader in part of that will definitely help with the Juniors. I know that when I come over I’ll be 17 and some of these players will actually be older than me but I want to be voice in the locker room and help win games,” Wastlund said.

537 Words
1 Picture

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]