Create Account

Vancouver Whalers SHL Draft Recap Whalers Weekly with Eddie Carey

Whalers Weekly: SHL Draft Special

EC: Hello there sports fans, we have a special edition of Whalers Weekly up for you tonight as we recap the Season 22 SHL Entry draft and take a special look at all of the Vancouver Whalers that heard their names called last night.

I’m Eddie Carey and joining me tonight with some color commentary is none other than NBC’s Pierre Maguire.

PM: It’s a pleasure Eddie. I love hockey and I also love obscure knowledge about hockey players lives. Sigge Clausson was born on a turnip farm in Sweden and his father could throw a turnip over a quarter of a kilometer it’s said so that will just give you an idea of how hard Sigge could probably throw a turnip if given the proper chance and training

EC: Far I guess. Alright then. Let’s get to the draft.

The first Whaler taken, which was no surprise to anyone, was our 1st line right winger. The Flying Frenchman, Pierre-Luc LaFlamme. LaFlamme was picked up with the 2nd overall pick by the Toronto North Stars.

[Image: eric%2Bstaal%2Band%2Bkris%2Bletang.jpg]

PM: Yes, Eddie I don’t this came as a shock to anyone. The kid just works hard and ti showed a lot through his consistent improvement throughout the season. He didn’t fill the net as much as some of the other rookies even on his own team but the level of skill he was able to show really lifted him above so much of this draft class. And not to mention he was able to score 12 goals and assist on 15 others so it’s not like he was lacking too much in that department.

EC: Certainly not, Pierre. I think I’d have to agree with you on your comments concerning LaFlamme. His work ethic just soars above so much of the other rookies I’ve ever seen, he’s always in the gym and the last one off the rink during practice. It’s a joy to see someone take such pride in their work and really drive all they’ve got for their dream.

PM: Certainly, he really works that bum off.

EC: That was weird.

Moving onto the next Whaler who heard their name last night however. The Winnipeg Jets walked up to the podium with the 3rd overall selection and that’s right folks, back to back Whalers as Drew Myers was became a Jet.

[Image: AaronEkbladFloridaPanthers2.jpg]

PM: Another great pick, Eddie. Myers gives you what you want in a star defenseman. He’s reliable on the backend and he can provide you as much offense as some of your top forwards. He’s an absolute maniac out there. I watched him play at a showcase game a couple weeks ago and he shattered two different panes of glass during warm ups with his shot. Imagine how the goalies feel seeing that and then knowing he’ll be teeing up some of those on the powerplay later on. Not fun, Eddie.

EC: Just as you said, he’s get that extra something you don’t find in every defenseman. Just to give you guys an idea, Drew scored 40 points this year as a rookie defenseman. 14 goals and 26 assists, not bad for a young blueliner.

PM: Certainly nothing to shake a stick at. Not to mention he scored almost half of those points on the powerplay, notching 9 goals and 10 assists with the man advantage. This kid is an absolute freak and the fact that he was the 3rd overall selection just speaks volumes of how deep this draft class really was because he is a player I would love to be bringing into my organization in a heart beat.

EC: Winnipeg have definitely got to be pleased grabbing him. On next was yet another Whalers player taken by the Toronto North Stars and the last Whaler taken in the 1st round, AJ Willison taken at 9th overall.

[Image: 8602192.jpg]

PM: Eddie I’m going to be honest with you on this one, I didn’t see it coming! But looking back now I’m an idiot for being surprised by this. What AJ Willison brings to your team is elite level skill with a solid work ethic. I really like this kid.

EC: No kidding, Pierre. Willison on that 2nd line was still able to put up 10 goals and 23 assists in 40 games for a total of 33 points.

PM: He was complimented with a pair of other rookies in Truck Stoker and Chance Winston who we will hear about very soon.

As for Willison though, Eddie. He’s a kid that leads on and off the ice, he’s able to get to the net and score and also dish it out to his team mates. Not to mention he’s one of the most gentlemanly players I’ve watched in a long time as he only got dinged once all season for a 2 minute minor.

EC: What a gentleman indeed. Looking into the 2nd we saw two more Whalers go. The Los Angeles Panthers had the 18th overall pick and with that they selected 2nd line centre Truck Stoker.

[Image: Zack+Kassian+2009+NHL+Entry+Draft+First+...71q-hl.jpg]

PM: Now this was a fella who I was a bit surprised to see go so low, Eddie. When you look at him you have a lot of what you look for a in big strong power forward. Not to mention he’s a center so he has that sense of responsibility in his own end and it shows with his +12 plus/minus on the season.

EC: And he knows how to get things done in the opposing end as well. Stoker scored 10 times while notching 20 helpers as well.

PM: It’s his ability in both ends and hard nosed attitude that sells me on him, Eddie. He was a wrecking ball out there this season laying the body 98 times.

EC: A force to be wreckoned with, Pierre that’s for sure. Next up was the young man who signed on with the Whalers a little past the half way mark. Minnesota had the 22nd overall selection and opted to go with the underdeveloped Chance Winston, what interests with you this pick?

[Image: Anthony+Duclair+NHL+Draft+Portraits+1FCCGHMpWHyl.jpg]

PM: It’s a bit of a wild card really. I think making a selection like this Minnesota knows they could be investing in a real gem down the line. He may not have the polish that some of the guys taken before him have but he has a great work ethic and a lot of raw talent.

EC: In 17 games this season Winston had 6 goals and 3 assists for 9 points. He also was able to come in at a +10 in the 17 games he played in the SMJHL. Not bad for a kid comng in halfway through the season.

PM: You’re right about that. He’s a guy I see developing for another season for sure before making the move to the big time. Winston was really only able to get his feet wet during his stint in Season 21. I expect huge things to come out of Winston in Vancouver this season and I’m really excited about it.

EC: That did it for the Whalers and the 2nd round, Pierre. We saw three more Whalers go in the 3rd round with defenseman Jordan Uptuck going to Calgary at 28th overall first.

[Image: anthony-deangelo-nhl-2014-nhl-draft-590x900.jpg]

PM: I like this kid. He could pay off for Calgary down the line. He was reliable all season in his own end and was even able to chip in offensively from time to time totaling 14 points over the season.

EC: Mike Abell went at 31st overall to the Los Angeles Panthers. Tell me what is perplexing about this selection.

[Image: Doughty-Draft.jpg]

PM: Well, Mike is a very solid player. He scored 39 points as a rookie defenseman, was reliable in his own end, didn’t take dumb penalties and laid the body from time to time. He has tools you want. However, he’s lacking that extra bit of work ethic it takes to be a star in the SHL, I fear. He could prove me wrong but a lot of what he has is god given talent. The Panthers saw fit to take a gamble on him and I really hope it pays off for him but as for now, that’s what it is, a gamble.

EC: Fair enough, Pierre. We all hope to see Mike doing great things at the SHL level here at Whalers Weekly.

Now on to the last Whaler that was selected last night. At 34th overall the Seattle Riot went with the little known Sigge Clausson from Sweden.

[Image: william-nylander-nhl-2014-nhl-draft-590x900.jpg]

PM: Again, this could pay off big time as we don’t know a ton about this kid. We only got to see him play in 15 games and he looked really nice at some points. I think this next upcoming season is going to set the stage for what we can expect from Clausson and I am excited to see how it unfolds.

EC: Well that’s all of them! And that’s all from us this week at Whalers Weekly!

For Pierre Maguire, this is Eddie Carey signing off! Have a good night everybody!

1513 words

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]

Ilike

great article

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Ilike Towel

:ahh!:

Ilike

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

This got graded so quickly.

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]

Good read!!! And Mike was recently traded to the Toronto North Stars as well!!! 3 prospects are all North Stars!!!!!

Congrats to all the Whaler prospects!!!! Towel Whalers

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

Great read!!! Love the article, congrats to all Whalers that got drafted! Whalers

Congrats boys!

Stars = Whalers