Create Account

Adam Abodobe Press Conference

Adam Abodobe has arrived with confetti in the Edmonton Blizzards locker room and after getting introduced to his teammates, he has arrived on the podium to answer any and all questions.

Ask away!

How do you feel about being named the most underrated player?

I feel pretty good about it, actually. It’s almost like a special award because it says something about what kind of played you are – that maybe some teams overlook you and don’t pay as much attention to the players performance. I like the award and I’ll probably cherish it for the years to come – it’s kind of like I’m destined to prove others wrong and show the rest how much I can improve and what I’m capable of. It’s going to be challenging keeping it up this season, but I think I can keep it going as long as I’m able to stay consistent. I’m aware of the idea of an underrated player usually means something of significant value to a team – especially when expectations are either the same or much higher than last season. That being said, I’m looking forward to meeting those same expectations I had for myself and the team has for me.

What are your expectations for your time in Edmonton?

They’re a pretty capable team, I’ll give them that and I’m actually really glad I got drafted there. I’m expecting them to do really well this season, obviously, but even that can be said that I hope they win a championship this year or at least make it to the finals. That would be huge – not only for their players, but for their fans as well. They’ve got a decent group of fans with them, supporting them in any way they can whatsoever and that reflects on the players performance. They can play well, I’ll give them that and they have tons of experience to lead them far, so I’m hoping they’ll at least be able to land in 1st place. I know I can’t join them this season, but I look forward to playing with them next season.

What are your expectations for this upcoming season?

Honestly, I just need to develop as a player and not rush into the SHL just yet. That alone could hurt my chances of reaching my potential an can determine whether or not I’m ready for the SHL. As a Knight, I’m just expecting my team to do really well this year given whom we have on our team and who we can play against. In the playoffs will be another story – I’m expecting them to win the cup, especially after the fiasco that took place last season. We’re going to be a hungry set of players heading into the season and we’re going to prove ourselves. Hopefully I’ll be able to help lead the team on to victory this season. It’ll be tough, but it can be done.

How do you feel about the upcoming Knights roster and the quest to get back to the Rour Star cup?

We’re a really talented team that can go far. We’ve got a good set of rookies and veterans that will carry us pretty far. With the departure of Dave Benson, it’ll be tough to replace him with someone of his skill-set, but it can be done. I hope that we will be able to provide the players with consistent ice-time and playmaking ability. With Randleman expected to make it to the first line with Abodobe and a #1 center who has yet to be named it can only be said that stuff like getting out there and developing players the way we want to develop them will only take some extra time. I also think we will make it to the finals, but it’s going to be tough especially since other teams we’re facing around the league have improved their team greatly, so it will take some getting used to as we attempt to overcome those challenges that await us.

Which teammate are you most looking forward to playing against in the SHL one day?

Randy Randleman. Mostly because we seem to get along pretty well and he is now on a team we consider to be a rival, even if it’s not a strong rivalry – the Calgary Dragons. We seem to complement each other really well as Knights and can set each other up on any given play, so it will be fun seeing how we play against each other once we hit the SHL. There are other players out there too who I’d consider worthy and valuable as much as I do for Randy, but this player is just a special one in my books. He works hard and ensures that everyone on the team is well-adjusted with their team. His locker room presence is also admirable.

Which former Knights players helped you the most in getting where you are today?

That would have to be Dave Benson. If he hadn’t helped me get accustomed to the league and didn’t help me get familiar with everything in the league, I likely wouldn’t have been here today. There was a time I nearly quit the SMJHL because it was overwhelming at first, but I”m glad I stuck it out. It wouldn’t have been worth it to leave so early because I wasn’t active at first, but Dave explained to me why it’s worth it to stay and how much time it would take me to get more acquainted with things. It was all about being aware and the thought process that went along with it was just dependant on a few factors, most of which sealed the deal for me. I suppose I’m lucky to be here because I wouldn’t have met the great group of guys.

What was it like being drafted by the Blizzard?

It wasn’t a surprise, in all honesty. I mean, I kind of expected to get drafted by the Blizzard. It seems to be a team that would fit well given the type of player I am. I can fit in well with the locker room, so it’s been pretty exciting getting drafted by them. If it wasn’t the Blizzard who would have drafted me, I would have expected myself to go at least a little bit higher than where I was selected. It’s pretty rewarding getting picked by a team that has a lot of talent on their team, so I’ll just fit in pretty nicely down the stretch. Overall, it was a nice experience when they called my name and I’m excited to play for them next season. Big things will happen soon, so I’m looking forward to that.

Have you met much of the team?

Oh, yes. As soon as I got drafted, I headed into the locker room and we had a party to celebrate my place in the draft. We’re all getting along pretty well and things seem to be shaping up for this franchise. I’ve met the managers, goalies and my potential line-mates for next season and they all seem like a great bunch to be around. Very welcoming, too as they offer all the necessary tools you can ask for to get back on the ice.

Is it as nice as one would expect it to be?

It’s much better than nice. Every player there is extremely welcoming as I said earlier and they take the time to get to know you. It’s a great environment to surround yourself and be a part of – each player there is more than likely to welcome you to the ice and is a frequent helper in any way they can provide you with. They’re tough, I can’t deny that, either as I had tried to pick a fight with one of the Blizzard players, but they shut me down right away. It was fun, but it’s also a bit on the cautious side because you don’t want to be the one who gets injured from having a little fun, you know?

Does tez get annoying?

Haha, no, never. I really respect the guy and what he brings to the table – we’re actually pretty lucky to have a guy like him. He’s very consistent and delivers what he promises pretty extensively. He’s also a very gracious player and shows a lot of heart, team-spirit and gratitude with the rookies and line-mates. Worth our time and effort to have him on this team, so no he’s not annoying by any means necessary.

How was the team training camp?

It was really tough and excellent at the same time. I actually got to know some of my teammates better during training camp and I’ve learned a lot of different things that will benefit me as a player, so I know what I should and shouldn’t be doing when I hit the ice and when I train myself. Some of the guys fooled around here and there, but it’s all in good-natured fun, really. I feel like we need to be nice and loose when we’re out there, so this kind of practice is just something that helps not only me, but the players as well. It’s a great opportunity to participate in training camp and it actually builds up some nerves but at the same time you learn to control them and calm yourself before the big games.

Were you expecting to make the team right away?

No, I understand what’s important is that I need to develop as a player first even if it means staying in the SMJHL for another season. Before I even got drafted by any given team I was actually expecting myself to stay down for an extra season as it is the case with most draftees anyways. It’s a learning experience as I said before and the transition to the big leagues will have to be adjustable based on what I’ve learned and developed from the SMJHL. I understand that sometimes it’s tough to adjust and make an impact right away, which is why taking your time is the most essential thing you can do first before you do anything else. It’s a slow process and one that requires a lot of patience, both for me and my teammates.

What are your focuses and goals for the season?

I hope to build up my strength, defense, skating and my play-making ability. My number one goal is to win the cup with the Knights and take back what rightfully belongs to us and no other team. My next goal is to be a top-scorer in the SMJHL by racking up the assists and letting Randy do most of the work on goal-scoring, but in the end it depends on my line-mates ability to adjust to the game. My preference though, is one that will ultimately benefit everyone now and in the long-run. It’s going to be a challenge, but I believe we have the tools to get there – we just have to build the road.

What was your reaction when you heard your name called?

As I said earlier, I was really excited. I jumped up about 50-feet in the air and did a little dance on top of someone’s roof. After awhile, I screamed “Victory!”. You can even ask Dave Benson himself if you don’t want to take my word for it because he was there during my celebration. We went out and had ourselves a great time at a party, both me and my teammates did that is. We had a great night and it really showed the next day.

How's the city of Edmonton like?

It’s a really fun city that’s for sure. I’ve been touring the city since I arrived and have been to a lot of places where my teammates like to frequent . We have our special little place we like to go to after winning a game and it’s only accessible to the Blizzard players. It’s pretty neat and actually makes me feel more welcome to be here. The fans seem really supportive, energetic and have a nice atmosphere with them. They’re a fun bunch of guys to be around and you can’t go wrong with being here, either way. Very fun experience.

How has your experience with Kelowna been?

It’s been a good ride. I just have one more season to stay with Kelowna and I’m headed to my first step in the big leagues. Everyone’s been great, line-mates, coaches, captains..I got to know the lot of them throughout my time here and it’s been pretty unique. That said, I’m really going to miss this place when I do leave later on, though. Although, that’s just a circumstance of what’s to come next, as I like to think. It’s such a beautiful city and the fans are great, so maybe they’ll cheer me on when I make my move over to the Blizzard. Who knows? I just hope they do because it would suck to leave them behind.

Despite having the sixth most TPE in the draft class you fell to the 11th overall pick, your thoughts?

In all honesty, that didn’t surprise me much because I noticed some teams were drafting based on needs rather than best player available. Plus, I’m a forward and some teams were looking to draft a defenseman and while that’s a bit off-putting it doesn’t really say much because some teams just have a preference over the other and I can’t hold it against them. It’s their choice to draft whichever way they please, despite the TPE count a player may have. Maybe I was overlooked and some teams didn’t realize how much TPE and value I bring to a team or maybe it’s just the fact that they wanted someone who excels in a different aspect. It just depends on how they view their team and the preference they’d offer. Even then, it would have to be based on how often the player is able to stay consistent. Maybe they didn’t want me because they thought I couldn’t be of service to some of them. I’ll be honest here, I did think I might have been selected a bit sooner than 11th overall, but that doesn’t take away from their thoughts on the game or their knowledge on each player. It’s all a part of the research they put into getting to know a player, scouting wise and playing style – they’re just reflections of how they wish to take a step to further enhance their team, I suppose. In the end, I’m not too bothered by it because I know Edmonton’s a great team to play for.

What's life like in Kelowna without David Benson?

It’s lonely without him. I miss his presence in the locker room as does the majority of the team. It will be pretty tough to adjust without his leadership qualities leading us on and off the ice. I know a player of his skill-set is actually really hard to replace but that’s something we will be working on with our new rookies and other veterans on this team once they’re experimented with on the lines in terms of chemistry and readiness. I suppose it all comes down to how accepting we are without Benson in the line-ups – I know that without him will be a contributing factor in this teams success down the road. I’m more than ready and accepting of whoever the new captain will be just as long as they know they’re ready to handle the task.

Any interesting party stories with Benson and Randleman in Kelowna?

It’s almost like the saying goes “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”. A lot of interesting/fun/exciting stuff happened at our parties. We had cake, party hats, piñatas, candy, strippers, dance music, juice, alcohol and lots of fun was had all around. Overall, it was a party spread over a period of 3-days and it was more of a therapy session because we were feeling so disappointed with our game seven loss, but at least something more came out of it and that was done in convincing fashion. I don’t know if we will be doing anything like that again because we want to focus on winning the final round, taking home the cup and maybe then we will have a huge week-long party. I know Benson isn’t on the team to celebrate that, but he will be invited for it since he’s an ex-Knight. We also played Mario Party,

Explain the phrase "Godamnit, Abo" and it's origins.

That phrase actually originated in the locker room after I was attempting to liven things up in there by putting on a fake personality of myself by falsely being mean/insensible to anyone to quoted me, said anything and to all the rookies. It was just all in good fun and was meant to be more of a joke than anything else, really. Nobody was offended in that instance as I was told to “calm down” a lot, I kept making remarks such as “You” and I also poked fun of some teammates by mocking their usernames and twisting things around. I also kept saying “You better be” to all the rookies after they told the team how they were excited to be playing for the Knights this season. I forget what else I said, but I’d have to look back on it and it got to the point where Randy had said something about me still going on with the act, so he said “He’s still doing it guys” It kept going on for a good two or three days. If anything, it certainly added activity in the locker room.

Who on Edmonton do you look up to the most in your short time there so far?

Our general manager. He seems to be leading the team in the right direction and gives advice on what players should do and how they should do it. They’re very consistent in how they bring things around with new player signings, player announcements, player transactions, etc. Overall, he’s a great guy and seems to know what he’s doing on and off the ice. I think he can continue his method and by doing so, will be able to build a solid team in the future leading to a very successful season later on down the road. With him, it’s all about patience and respect, which a lot of players seem to have with him.

Thoughts on not making Team Sweden this year? (Benson didn't either)

I wasn’t aware I didn’t make team Sweden. That’s ok, though. There’s always next time and while it’s disappointing that we both didn’t make it, I’m sure we will have a better chance next time when the opportunity rolls around. It’s all about preparation and I don’t think we were prepared to make the team as there were more talented players ahead of us who deserved the spots more than we did. They’ve been here longer and have worked much harder to acquire that position, just as we will the next time it rolls around. Hopefully it won’t be too tough as we will have more experience in the SHL/SMHL by then. In either case, I’m really looking forward to it and I hope to be a major contribution when it rolls around again. It’s going to be a fun year with big things to come, so I’m really looking forward to it, although I think maybe luck plays a small role in it too.

How do you feel about being named the most underrated player?

What are your expectations for your time in Edmonton?

What are your expectations for this upcoming season?

[Image: FReZg9W.png]

Interview
How do you feel about the upcoming Knights roster and the quest to get back to the Rour Star cup?

Interview
Which teammate are you most looking forward to playing against in the SHL one day?

Interview
Which former Knights players helped you the most in getting where you are today?

Updated!

What was it like being drafted by the Blizzard?

Have you met much of the team?

Is it as nice as one would expect it to be?

Does tez get annoying?

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

How was the team training camp?

Were you expecting to make the team right away?

What are your focuses and goals for the season?

What was your reaction when you heard your name called?

How's the city of Edmonton like?

How has your experience with Kelowna been?

Despite having the sixth most TPE in the draft class you fell to the 11th overall pick, your thoughts?

Updated!

Quote:
Does tez get annoying?

Haha, no, never. I really respect the guy and what he brings to the table – we’re actually pretty lucky to have a guy like him. He’s very consistent and delivers what he promises pretty extensively. He’s also a very gracious player and shows a lot of heart, team-spirit and gratitude with the rookies and line-mates. Worth our time and effort to have him on this team, so no he’s not annoying by any means necessary.

:wub:

and shame on you for asking such a question, rice!

What's life like in Kelowna without David Benson?

Any interesting party stories with Benson and Randleman in Kelowna?

Explain the phrase "Godamnit, Abo" and it's origins.

Who on Edmonton do you look up to the most in your short time there so far?

Thoughts on not making Team Sweden this year? (Benson didn't either)

Updated!