Create Account

The Ember Award

GM Mac takes the podium, visibly intoxicated and really who could blame him after the dismal season he had.

"Gadies and lentlemen, may I have your attention. This season has been long and it has been harsh, with long strings of losses, some blowouts, but the fact remained that The Pringe Ford Girebirds stuck together and made it through, never stopped believing until the bitter end."

*A narrating voice is heart over the speakers*

And what an end that was for the Firebirds, after a very forgettable season they like the rest of the junior teams had a playoff birth, against the powerhouse Colorado Mammoths, but what happened is not what was expected.

"And that bitter end, is one I am very very proud of very proud of. After that poor season, standing in the locker room, I looked around and I saw the faces of champions. I told them, those other 50 games we played, they don't matter anymore. What matters is here, tonight. We knocked the monster off their throne early in the season and there was no reason they couldn't do it a few more times."

After dropping the first two games to Colorado, with goaltender Austin Lemeuix sent down from his SHL Winnipeg Jets failing to deliver, the choice was made to put in the struggling McFadden who had a very up and down season.

"Lemeuix was sent down and after performing well at the SHL level, I decided that our best chance given the shaky at time performances of our goalies, it would be the best option. I was -hic- very wrong as he cost us the first two games with poor play. I made the decision to put faith in McFadden, and he came up big in Game 3. Then had a heartbreaking close Game in 4."

This lead us to Game 5 in Colorado, the Mammoths up three games to one and needing just one victory to move into the finals, but something stood in their way and his name was McFadden.

"I recall coming into the locker room in Colorado, just prior to Game 5 and McFadden was sitting in the corner, looking like he was asleep, listening to music. I was not too pleased, he needed his head in the game. So I took him aside and he didn't let me speak, he put his hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eye and walked past to the center of the room."

"Not here, not tonight."

With that McFadden took to the ice and put in one of the best performances by a rookie goalie in memory, stopping thirty four of thirty five shots.

"The guy was unbreakable that game, you just couldn't compete with him."

On wards to Prince George the Firebirds flew, for a Game 6.

"This time, it was Bennett Jones and Kjell Eide who stepped up in the locker room. They looked around and told us all, that no one expected this from us, we were seen as an afterthought in the playoffs and that we would be swept aside.

Down three games to two, we weren't supposed to get this far, but here we are. We win tonight and nothing matters, nothing about the season, nothing about this game or the five before matters, only tomorrow but tonight comes first."

It went into overtime and glory was brought by a beautiful pass to the quiet defensemen Mathias Wahlstrom who buried it.

"The noise, it was deafening. I am not sure if it was the crowd or the team itself, the yelling and cheering, it was insane. They did it, I tried to keep myself composed but I will say as soon as I was out of camera view I was right there with them celebrating."

The big show happened in Colorado, Game 7, forced by the last place team, the true underdogs.

"It wasn't meant to be unfortunately, Colorado changed their strategy and swapped goalies for Game 7 and it seemed to have done the job. McFadden had a very rough start to the game and as painful as it was, after he left in that fourth goal, hope was quickly fading. I wasn't sure if he was still in the game and as much as I trusted him, I made the decision to put in Lemeuix who was looking for a chance to prove himself upon losing the job after Game 2. He was perfect in relief, but alas, it was not to be as the Mammoths took the game and the series

That was it, a Game 7 loss. Most teams would be upset, but Mac was nothing but proud of his team. They had accomplished more and gotten further then any had possibly imagined, even themselves.

"So, now with the season done and the finals about to start, it gives me great pleasure to announce the recipients of the Ember Award, given each season to the three players who exemplify the values of the Firebirds. Leadership, heart, passion, and above all else loyalty to the team.

The first recipient, is none other then Michael McFadden! Michael has been a very vocal presence in the locker room, sharing his knowledge, skills, advice and being extremely available for any interviews requested.

The second, is the fifth overall pick, Bennett Jones, whose iron will and unconquerable spirit made even the longest losing streaks seem like nothing had gone wrong.

And lastly, the last recipient, is free agent gem, Kjell Eide! Kjell came to us as a free agent and has been a stalwart both for the team on and off the ice, a fun loving and upbeat presence, a willingness to help his fellow players with anything they needed and the passion shown is unlike all but a few this league has seen pass through it's doors.

Each of these individuals will receive along with the award, a monetary award of $500,000, and along with Monkey, Jericho, and Kennedy-Anderson, all qualify for the Firebirds Legacy Award of $500,000, to cover half of your first SHL training. "

On behalf of myself, my Co-GM O'Reilly and the entire Prince George organization, thank you and good luck in your career.

[Image: CamNosreh.png]

Is the ember award for over paid challenger players?

#DankLoLReference

[Image: livius.gif]

awww mac :-x it was a fun season!

I love this team, rough season and all. Wouldn't change 'em for all the cups :-x