Create Account

The Rise and Fall; Then Rise Again + Taking the Reins

Code:
3017 Words

<div align="center">The Rise and Fall, Then Rise Again

[Image: 2TO9VUj.jpg]

In Season 24 the SHL announced two new expansion teams the Portland Admirals and Buffalo Stampede would be coming for S25. Both teams as most expansion teams starting building their franchises from scratch. The expansion draft occurred with the Portland Admirals managing to come out looking strong picking up highly touted veteran Chico Salmon, along with Pat Vikingstod and Yousuf Scherbluk. General Manager Zach Miller was looking to build up the Admirals into contenders and had good veteran pieces to trade off for assets due to this draft if he so pleased. During the offseason he grabbed his Co-General Manager which was Buster Killington from the New England Wolfpack before the SHL Entry Draft. He traded 5th overall at the draft for Killington, 33rd overall pick and a S26 4th rounder. They also had their franchise goaltender Nikita Nevzorov who was a part of the Miller agency. In that S25 SHL Entry Draft the Portland Admirals came away with Nikolaus Scholz at 17th overall, Matt Veenstra 33rd overall and Andris Bukss at 45th. General Manager Zach Miller had established himself as a GM in the league by making some solid moves and coming away with some gem draft picks. The Admirals then went into S25 and finished last place by two points. They ended up losing the draft lottery and they were looking at drafting second overall. Although during the season General Manager Zach Miller made a big move when he moved Chico Salmon and Kodaik Clark for young defenseman Hans Ponsen, Ross Burke, and Grigori Pajari and a 2nd round pick in S26. Before the S26 Draft the Admirals then traded their 2nd overall pick to the Texas Renegades for the 4th overall pick while acquiring 17th overall in the process. So the Admirals moved back in the draft. After doing that GM Zach Miller decided to go after a young defenseman. That defenseman was Patrick Brumm who Miller acquired for the 4th overall pick in the draft. That left rhe Admirals with the 17th, 18th and 29th overall picks in the S26 SHL Entry Draft. The Admirals came away with stud centerman Sven Karlsson, Ignant Ogorodnikov and Alphonse Oduya. Karlsson was quite the get for the Admirals as he was a huge sleeper in the draft. Going into S27 the Portland Admirals looked like the team of the future contenders with a lot of great young players and rookies coming into the league. Buster Killington, Scholz and Brumm were huge for the Admirals on the ice as they were beginning to develop. The Admirals were setting themselves up for years of contention with their core players. In S26 the Admirals once again finished in last place and this time secured the number one pick in the draft. The Admirals were going to be adding to their already stacked young core of players. The Admirals selected stud center Krysztof Kowalski 1st overall and winger Maximillian Wächter 15th overall. Once again the Admirals had a great draft adding two core pieces to their forward core. Things were going great and looking up for the Portland Admirals at this time. They were going to be the next up and coming power house of the SHL with all these amazing young players they were collecting from drafts and trades. He also made a shrewd move picking up the rights to Beau Ballard for a third rounder from Toronto. Who eventually signed and became a good piece for the Admirals. In S27 the Admirals once again finished last place and had the first overall pick in their hands. The Admirals would be picking first overall in the S28 for the second time in a row, and the Admirals were looking even better going through this rebuild.

[Image: rlkcFbN.jpg?1]

Then a tampering charge was brought to light and the Admirals were punished heavily by the SHL. They would be forced to give up their next three first round picks (S28, S29, and S30), could not sign any free agents for a full season and lost their best player to suspension for the entire season. So GM Zach Miller had a few choices to make in regards to this. He would now lose his first overall selection and his team’ future was now in jeopardy due to losing those first round picks. The Admirals were not ready to compete yet and had all the assets other teams were willing to pay premium prices for. So the Admirals sell off began. First the Admirals traded recent 1st overall pick Krysztof Kowalski, Patrick Brumm and cap space to the Texas Renegades for three 1st round picks in S31, S32, and S33. Then he sent Sven Karlsson to the Los Angeles Panthers for S30 1st round pick (Texas), S32 2nd round pick, 22nd overall pick in the S28 draft and Carter Rosston. The once young star studded core of the Admirals was now basically gone. Hours later another one was gone when he traded Nikolaus Scholz to Edmonton for 10th overall in S28, S31 1st rounder and Fredrik Zavstrom. Then they sent Buster Killington who was suspended for the entire season and stripped of his CO-GM role to the Toronto North Stars for a 3rd round pick. That same day defender Pal Vikingstod was moved to the Minnesota Chiefs for a 1st round pick in S30, second round pick is S31, second round pick in S32 and forward Jonathan Kane. This was a first of many moves for the Expansion GM. At the S28 SHL Draft the Admirals came away with forward Kjell Eide at 10th overall and winger Rising Hippo 15th overall. At the time Eide was a great pick with tonnes of potential and Hippo was a flyer. The big loss here was the 1st overall pick that was forfeited. In S28 the Admirals finished second last above the Buffalo Stampede, but were once again forced to forfeit their 1st round pick so second overall was gone. They were left with 16th overall where they picked defenseman Barak Obrana. The S28 offseason was approaching and the Portland Admirals were a mess. But they were now allowed to try and sign UFA's once the S29 UFA period opened. Once the period opened the Admirals were able to snag a big fish in Viktor Svensson from the West Kendall Platoon/Winnipeg Jets. He signed a 6 year deal. He then got Steve French from the Texas Renegades for a third round pick as a sign and trade. After getting the big fish he then added another in third year goaltender Christoffer Bjornsson from the Los Angeles Panthers as an unrestricted free agent. As a result Nikita Nevzorov announced it would be his last season as a hockey player. Zach Miller then added to his busy offseason by picking up young defenseman William Fedorov as a free agent. He then finished off his UFA period by signing veteran Alexander Kjaerberg from the Rage on a three year contract. He also added Beau Bent a young center from his agency to the squad after he went undrafted. So after losing a lot of talent via trades after the tampering charge the Admirals went out and spent some cash and brought in some quality UFA's.

[Image: UeOmy1c.jpg]

The Admirals went into S29 with a totally different team than in S28 with a bunch of new additions and some previous playing taking big development steps. The Admirals finished in 4th last place which is their best season to date in the SHL. They also got out of the basement in the Western Conference which they had been the holders of for the last three seasons. The S29 Admirals were led by an amazing performance by Beau Ballard with 47 points in 50 games. Ballard was a key player for this Admirals team who GM Zach Miller acquired. Defenseman Viktor Svensson was second on the team in points with 35 and broke a shots block record in the SHL. The biggest thing for the Admirals in S29 was the development of Maximillan Wachter. Wachter is now the best forward on the Admirals roster and is the key offensive weapon. He has 32 points and was a plus on a bad Admirals team. Midway through the season the Admirals acquired young defenseman Mattias Holmberg from the LAP for a 1st and Fedorov. Holmberg has 12 points in 38 games before joining Portland, and finished with 11 points in 12 games for the Admirals. Then rookie goaltender Christoffer Bjornsson played extremely well on a team that’s defense leaked goals. The rookie netminder has a record of 15-23-6 with a .910 save percentage and 3.13 goals against average. On a bad team these numbers are pretty decent especially have a .910 save percentage which is one of the better indicators of skill compared to goals against average which is more team based. Bjornsson looks to be a Ryan Jesster Trophy nominee and could possibly win it. The Admirals are set in net for years to come with him between the pipes. After selling off the Admirals look to be back on the rise with the development of young players and the addition of high end unrestricted free agents. They also had Kjaeberg retire this offseason which will probably be a big hit for the Admirals is S31 as he is a solid veteran player. At the recent S30 draft the Admirals had the 8th overall pick, 18th and 22nd picks. They once again forfeited their 4th overall pick. They picked up defenseman Kelly Rivet, forwards Karl Hertzberg and Justs Sirmais respectably. After the draft the Admirals signed some depth prospects as they struck out on some of the big guys on the market. Zach Miller also named his new co-general manager Zach Cuff, who he is familiar with from his St.Louis Scarecrow days. The Admirals are sending a lot of guys back to junior this upcoming season and do not have an influx of talent coming into replace, so it could be a rough year for the goaltender.

Here is the projected lineup for the Admirals:

Beau Ballard - Maximillian Wachter - Steve French
Alexander Kjaerberg - Thomas Anderson- Alexei Smirnov
Kjell Eide - John Wick - Riley Mason
Frederik Zavstrom - Kein Monesti - Conn Thomson

Viktor Svensson - Andris Bukss
Mattias Holmberg - Shea Robinson
Curtis Crawford - Matt Veenstra

Christoffer Bjornsson

Prospect Rankings
(S30) D - Kelly Rivet
(S29) D – Barak Obrana
(S29) C – Beau Bent
(S30) RW – Carl Hertzberg
(S30)C - Justs Sirmais
(S28) LW – Rising Hippo
(S30) C - Evgeny Yakikov
(S28) RW - Denis Lever

The Admirals now have a nice prospect pool down in the SMJHL with all these quality prospects. The Admirals are now going to be able to have their first round picks back, and have hoarded a lot of other picks as well. They currently hold three 1sts in S31, two in S32, and two in S33. With this upcoming draft starting to build up depth, it could be a good one for the Admirals if they decide to keep the picks. History shows that Zach Miller is not afraid to trade his picks for proven players, so that could be something to watch. The Admirals will be looking to do what they did before with stocking up draft picks and using them to pick up amazing talents. The Admirals could be on the rise again soon. But this time not fall as hard and fast as they did. They will be a team to watch the next few off-seasons. The Admirals have done a pretty good job building back up from the tampering charge. But there is still a lot of work to do for Zach Miller and Zach Cuff. Will the Admirals try and build on a record season, or will they fall back to the basement of the SHL and pick 1st overall?

Taking The Reins

As mentioned rookie goaltender Christoffer Bjornsson had himself a good season between the pipes. He came to the Admirals from the Los Angeles Panthers after riding the pine for a season and spending two back in Kelowna. The Four Star Cup winner and Tom Corcoran Trophy winner wanted to go to a team where he could be the guy between the pipes. In Los Angeles they had Erik Lundquist already there although Bjornsson probably would’ve passed him eventually, he still felt like he wanted to leave to be the guy elsewhere. In unrestricted free agency the young goaltender has some tough decisions to make. He was wanted by three teams and his rights were traded to one of the three teams before the period was open. Bjornsson was happy to give them a shot and see if he felt comfortable there but it obviously was not. Then Bjornsson was left with a choice, go to a strong team in a 1A/1B type situation or go to a rebuilding team and take the reins by himself. He ended up with the Portland Admirals who were just coming off their UFA ban.

[Image: uXBxwhd.jpg?1]

“It was a tough decision, like I had a few options and I liked them all really. All three teams had things I really liked and people I really liked. It was really tough. That is why I took a few extra days to think over what I was going to do. I went home after my visits and thought long and hard. I guess starting fresh with a rebuilding team felt like a better option for me. I could help carry the team for a few years and maybe even carry them to the promise land. They had a spot open for me, because their current goalie was kind of average and debating retirement. After they grabbed some of the big name free agents I felt like it would be a good choice to sign there. I also happen to like Viktor Svensson a lot he is great, so that was a major selling point for me too.”

The young Czech is not used to losing as all his seasons in the SMHJL with Kelowna were with winning teams. He had two cup final appearances and his final year carried a young team on his shoulders.

“It was kind of hard constantly losing this year. I mean we got better as the year went along but it was still hard. I want to win, but I knew what I was getting into when I signed. I won a lot in Kelowna and was on some pretty good teams so for me I am used to winning. I am not going to get used to losing though, I want to win. This year looks pretty rough on paper but I think we could surprise some people. I mean we were projected to finish 13th last season and we came in 10th in the entire league so we could do it again. We have not really lost anything but we also have gained any which may be a reason we struggle to start. I think as a group we have grown pretty well though. My goal this year is to hopefully get my goals against average down. Last year it was way too high. I need to make more critical stops. I have worked on my conditioning this offseason so I am hoping it pays off on the ice. I have done a lot of work this offseason with fellow draftee Robert Andersson, so I once again I am hoping it all pays off for me.”
Bjornsson will definitely be the key to Portland’s season.
</div>

Portland Admiral Shout outs
JumpierPegasus – The General Manager and one of my best friends on the site. Has always been a lovely friend and person. Used to always play EHM with me but now he spends way too much time with his no good girlfriend. But he is a great guy as usual though.

Cuffy – The new Co-GM. He has been a real good add in the locker room and chatzy. I never really talked to him much before this but now I talk to him almost every day. He is pretty great. He has helped me with SBA and made me like it, which is always good.

MP7 – My favorite Austrian. He MP is so funny and nice in chatzy and locker room. He did not understand my lingo at first though, which I always find funny. Probably the best forward on the team and underrated round the league. Underrated member as well, overall greatness.

MyLittleHexx – Has been great since joining our team last season in locker room and the sim. Seems like a great fellow in the locker room. Was also with him in LA too, seemed nice then too. Looking forward to seeing what you doing in the sim this season.

Bukss – He is not around much but pretty solid player. He has not really been around since I got on the team, unfortunate really.

Engine – Same as Bukss. Wish he was around more often.

Harry – My bestest friend on the site, enough said.

Boomcheck – Boom has been great in chatzy. Been on teams with him before he is usually pretty decent. He is always very confused.

therisinghippo – Have not seen around the locker room, but still is around. Looks like a good SMJHLer right now though. Hopefully you make your way up to our roster soon.

Artermis – The Leader of the Czechs and Firebirds. Always a pleasure in both locker rooms. Going to be a good player for the Admirals and Czechs hopefully.

Snuffalupagus – New guy, have not met yet. Looking forward to talking to you and seeing your player on our blue line soon. Will be a critical piece to our team.

Quads – Another new fellow, seen in the locker room a couple times. Looks like a real steal at the moment. Hope to see you up on our roster soon too!

CaptainCrazy – Fellow Knight so obviously I like. Never really seen much of you before, but you are obviously great if you’re a Knight so. Another Latvian I believe so hopefully you enjoy yourself and come into chatzy and stuff. 

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

who dis

Damn that team we were building at the start was going to be awesome. If we were able to get the FA's we did as well in S29 on top of that roster it would be beautiful

But the team is shaping up with some prospects and the big drafts for us are coming up, so we will turn it around soon. Already have prospects and have a ton of picks coming up Smile

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

As promised, I've read it.
very good article and thanks for the nice words.

[Image: wachter3.png]
Alexander Wachter, RW, S51
Carolina Kraken - Texas Renegades - Winnipeg Aurora 
Player Page // Update Page

<a href='index.php?showuser=84' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Checkmate</a>

destroyer of teams.

Quote:Originally posted by TheLastOlympian07@Jul 26 2016, 09:35 AM
<a href='index.php?showuser=84' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Checkmate</a>

destroyer of teams.
what a dick

Quote:Originally posted by Checkmate@Jul 26 2016, 03:58 PM

what a dick
Dadonov will exact my revenge by taking your Shaw this season tbh

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Wow! Great article, man! Well written and interesting!

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn