Create Account

DET/MTL Exhibition Game New Game, New Rules, Same Victor

<center>
DET 3 - MTL 1
Game PBP
Falcons trounce Militia in exhibition upset using experimental rules
</center>

The Detroit Falcons and Montreal Militia took to the ice last night to try a game of hockey with a bit of a twist. In contrast with usual SMJHL and SHL rules, last night's exhibition game used a new ruleset some are calling the Fridge Improved Sim Experience (ISE), named after the ruleset's creator, Dr. Phineas T. Fridge.

"The game is largely the same," said Karl Hefeweizen, Falcons defenseman. "It's hockey no matter where you play, but there's some big differences." Fans in attendance last night may have noticed the obvious differences -- the discolored ice that looks more Pepto Bismol pink than white, or the fact that the announcers all wore top hats. But the on ice product was noticeably different too.

"Certain skills translate a bit differently," Hefeweizen explained. "The pace of the game means that there's a lot of emphasis on putting skills together at the same time. Being a good scorer doesn't really matter if you can't battle for better position on the ice, and being a good skater won't get you out of trouble if you're taking a hit in the corner." Hefeweizen finished the game pointless with nearly 21 minutes played, having only a trio of blocked shots to show for his efforts.

<center>[Image: o2uF3AH.png]
Goal 1 - Scotty Steele, Unassisted</center>

Militia star winger Scotty Steele opened up the scoring with the first ever Fridge-ISE goal, 9 minutes and 34 seconds into the first period. Near the end of a powerplay thanks to a roughing penalty by Detroit's Kevin Marks, Steele was able to beat a winded Jack Grey after a clearing attempt failed to get deep into the Militia zone. Falcon goaltender Evgueni Marmeladov looked off balance as the puck beat him just below the blocker, but looked sharp for the rest of the game.

<center>[Image: UUQMVJt.png]
Goal 2 - Kevin Marks, Assist by Jack Grey</center>

Kevin Marks earned back the good graces of his teammates only minutes later, however, scoring the equalizer shortly off an offensive zone faceoff win. "It was good to get it back, Grey won the draw and after some finagling I buried it. We both had a part in that powerplay goal, so this helped us keep our heads straight for sure." The slapper beat Coren Volden whose athleticism led to a spectacular attempt but ultimately couldn't save the goal.

<center>[Image: RoqaqxO.png]
Goal 3 - Maurizio Arrivabene, Unassisted</center>

Maurizio Arrivabene, Detroit's first line Left Winger and the game's first star, couldn't be reached for comment. Arrivabene notched a goal nearly 14 minutes into the second period when star Militia defenseman Jack Hansen mishandled the puck in his own zone. The turnover allowed Arrivabene to squeak the puck past the right skate of Montreal's Coren Volden, putting the Falcons up 2-1.

<center>[Image: Qwo87Es.png]
Goal 4 - Heidi Aho, Assists by Roddy Hawkins and Maurizio Arrivabene</center>

Arrivabene appeared on the scoresheet again as Heidi Aho, an unlikely star, put the Falcons up 3-1. Aho picked up the puck after an Arrivabene dump in for a line change, and got her chance to leave a mark on Fridge-ISE history. With under 6 minutes played, Aho was able to grind out the opposition in the corner and get a puck on net that went over Coren Volden's blocker, tallying the Falcons' final goal.

The three stars were as follows:
1. Maurizio Arrivabene for 2 points and a monstrous 24:37 of ice time. "He was huge for us," said Falcons rookie winger Mathias Victorsson. "Every shift, you could see the energy he brought with him, it's contagious. It's hard not to play your best around a guy like that.
2. Scotty Steele for the game's opening goal, getting the Militia off on the right foot. "None of us knew what this game was going to play like," chimed Militia defenseman Gilfred Alfredsson. "I'll admit to having jitters of my own on the first few shifts. Seeing a guy like Scotty go out there and bury it helped us remember that it's still just hockey, still just the same game."
3. Evgueni Marmeladov for closing the door after the first goal. "It tough," the Russian goaltender for the Falcons eeked out. "I heff bad goal, it no good. Make me much discourage. Boys good though, fans good." Marmeladov faced only 15 shots, thanks to an impressive 24 shot blocks by his team. "I do better next time, we win three zero."

Notes:
1. This was run in a custom sim engine that I've been developing over the past few weeks. The results don't actually matter and the sim engine is still very much a work in progress. All of the things you see are subject to bugfixes, mathematical balancing, etc. I'm not trying to replace STHS for SHL, but I think it's a fun project and interesting thought exercise.
2. The attributes don't map 1:1, so I had to take some liberties. Of note, goaltending attributes in STHS don't make sense to me so I've mapped them differently. All players have mental attributes (Hockey IQ, Morale, and Toughness) that I've randomly rolled.
3. I did my best to take the current TPE and builds from each player on both teams, and use the lineups and settings from each as they translate into my new sim engine. This was pretty clean, except that my engine only allows 3 defensive pairings.
4. Some mechanics in the sim engine that are still blatantly missing are things like pulling the goalie at the end of the game, fights, and some stats like +/-. They'll get added in due time.
5. My engine places a heavy emphasis on individual sliders (closer to EHM than STHS) which were all set to middle of the road for this sim. Ideally these would be set more in line with players' respective builds.

[999 words, would probably like some extra credit given how much work went into this. Would like to split with <a href='index.php?showuser=2271' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>Avakael</a> for helping me to get some STHS data formatted for use in the sim!]

Wow this is awesome!

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Incredible work. You never cease to impress me.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

VERY neat

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]