Create Account

Trouble in Paradise: The story of Dwayne Wyder Player Preview series: part 1

<center>Trouble in Paradise: The story of Dwayne Wyder</center>

Halifax, Nova Scotia likes to consider itself a major cultural center within the Atlantic provinces. A tag not taken lightly by its local residents who are proud of their abundance of bars and microbreweries. Beer culture has long since been a part of Halifax and local breweries hold their award winning beers in high esteem. And what goes better with a cold brew other than a fast paced hockey game? Halifax also has a long minor league hockey history, and for the S35 season it serves as the home of the Halifax raiders power forward Dwayne Ryder.

Ryder spent most of his youth growing up in an impoverished town controlled by drug lords in central Mexico. This led to bouts of drug use and alcoholism. Before Halifax drafted Ryder prior to its 35th season, an already serious drinking problem got worse. In fact, he said he can’t remember going more than a day without a drink during the entire time leading up to the draft.

Midway through his season prior to being drafted, Ryder sustained a serious knee injury. He had surgery in Los Angeles and then flew back to Mexico to begin the healing and rehabilitation process. It was there, alone in an isolated town of 3,000 and unable to play, he turned to tequila as his drink of choice after walking into a local bar. “I saw this guy, he was probably about 55 years old, and he was there just drinking Casa Noble on the rocks and I was there by myself drinking Modelo,” Ryder said. “I drank about six of them, and I was watching this guy drink Casa Noble on the rocks, doubles. And he was just slamming them down. One right after the other, rather emphatically” Curious, Ryder struck up a conversation with the gentleman. “He told me, ‘I’m retired and my wife left me a few years ago. Her leaving was really tough on me and I could not deal with it so now I just come in here, and drink ” Ryder said. “So I sat with him and drank Casa Noble until we drank the bar dry and they kicked us out.”

The next day, Ryder scoured every liquor store in a 100 kilometer radius of his house in search of Casa Noble Tequila. That is when he began polishing off an entire bottle each morning. Eventually, that grew into two every day. Ryder is aware of how stupid it all sounds now, but at the time, the goal was to “fuck me up faster,” and tequila accomplished that better than beer.

It all caught up to him May 1, 2016. Back in Los Angeles, two and a half months after his surgery for a follow-up medical appointment, he got really, really sick. His stomach started to churn and he was coughing up lots of blood – a result, he later learned, of a massive stomach ulcer and liver issues he had developed from all the drinking. Even though Ryder swore off drinking booze earlier that day, Ryder was shaking so badly on the way to the airport that he headed straight to the bar when he arrived. “I ordered a double Casa and boom, shot it back like it was nothing. So I had another one and shot it back again.” Ryder said. “I just sat there for what seemed like days but it was probably only like an hour and that is when the floodgates opened and I just started bawling. I just sat there and I cried and I cried and I cried.I just could not stop. The bartender finally asked me, “Are you okay big guy?” And Ryder said, “Not at all, but keep the drinks coming.”

His flight out of Los Angeles took off without him.

Later that day, Ryder called Dr. Davis Pearson, co-founder of the substance abuse program endorsed by Ryder's trainers, coaches, and the SHL Players Association. Ryder said Pearson told him he could not stop drinking until he got into rehab or the alcohol withdrawal could kill him. Four days after that, Ryder arrived at a rehab center in the hills of Malibu, just outside Los Angeles. Now, that he has his drinking problem under control Ryder is hoping for one last shot at resurrecting his potential SHL career.

In the S35 draft, the Raiders wanted Ryder badly. Luckily he fell far enough and was able to be drafted before other exciting rookies. Ryder arrived in Halifax carrying an uncommon swagger as a rookie. “Dwayne is Dwayne,” said teammate, Raiders alternate captain, and friend, Cody Fletcher. “He hides his insecurity with who he is. Some people might think he is too cocky or too arrogant. But the thing about Dwayne that they fail to see is people do not really know how big his heart is and how much he does care because they only see the outer shell and his problems.”

With the Raiders, Ryder eventually earned a spot in the starting line up. Yet after cracking the starting lineup during the preseason in Halifax, Ryder discovered he was able to drink and still be successful, he lost track of the bigger picture, he claimed.

Ryder’s drinking started innocently enough. As a teenager from middle of nowhere Mexico. He would drink socially without any adverse effects during his years as a young player while he was still developing and learning the game. “When you are young and you go out and party during the summertime, or sometimes during the season, and you have your drinks and you hang out with your buddies,” said Ryder. “I wasn’t doing anything dangerous or being dangerous to people. I was just like anybody else from my hometown.I was just trying to make some fun out of a bad situation”

I have been told by several sources that Ryder has had some issues and “accidentally got on the wrong buss” a few times and ended up bar hopping all over Halifax a few times. Hopefully this young player can keep his bearings and pan out to be the all star power forward all the scouts claim he can be. He led the Prospect Showcase in penalty minutes and he hopes to be able to translate is rough and loose style of hockey to the SHL in one seasons time.

Code:
1060 words, ready for grading :)

[Image: cd6sM5U.gif]
arigato to everyone for the dope sigs <3

| Updates | Player Page |

wow Ryder's livers weak! Wink

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

I end up accidently bar hopping all the time too B)

wow

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

And I thought Crossfit's drinking problems were bad... Great article tho, drinking isn't the problem solver it's the problem maker.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

drinking is the problem and the solution

also <a href='index.php?showuser=2646' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Sleepy</a> who is dwayne ryder? Ninja

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

Quote:Originally posted by Loco@Jul 19 2017, 09:21 PM

also <a href='index.php?showuser=2646' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Sleepy</a> who is dwayne ryder?&nbsp; Ninja

well played...

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Quote:Originally posted by Loco+Jul 19 2017, 08:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Loco @ Jul 19 2017, 08:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->drinking is the problem and the solution

also <a href='index.php?showuser=2646' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Sleepy</a> who is dwayne ryder?&nbsp; Ninja[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Coach Biz@Jul 19 2017, 08:22 PM

well played...
[/quote]

I have literally no idea what you guys are talking about. Ninja

I also should probably write the rest of this series. Or finish my fanfic. So much media, so little time. Eyebrow