Create Account

Evans Guiding Beranek into Future SHL Career

[Image: USATSI_14061082_168383719_lowres-C5sQri.jpeg]

There’s not a lot SHL Hall of Famer Zach Evans hasn’t seen.  Between his own career and the career of his son Nikolai Evans, concluding at the end of Season 55, Evans has been around professional hockey for 25 years.

Evans is already putting his thumbprint on the next chapter of his career, as he was hired by second-generation player Zdenko Beranek prior to the SMJHL Entry Draft.  Beranek was the first overall pick of that draft, and Evans has already put SHL teams on notice about his client’s ability.

“Obviously, while I played internationally for Russia, I originally grew up in North Carolina,” said Evans.  “I watched Zdenko’s father play a lot for the Charlotte Bootleggers, and it seemed like a natural fit to bring Zdenko aboard as my first client.  He has incredible ability, and once he learns the professional game, he’s going to be a terror, I really believe that.”

However, Evans raised eyebrows with comments he made regarding some of the advice he has already given his new charge. 

“The league has changed a lot in 25 years,” said Evans.  “Some of those changes have been great, some of them, well, I’ve never been shy about sharing my opinion.  I just hope I can guide him in the right direction and learn from mistakes I made and some things I saw during Nikolai’s career.”

One of the most notable takeaways from Evans’ comments will come as a shock to those who followed his career.  Evans spent the entirety of a 14-season career with the Winnipeg Jets, but has encouraged Beranek not to commit long-term to wherever he may land in the SHL.

“The league changes a lot, and I think with some of the rule changes that some are lobbying for, it could become even more dynamic,” he explained.  “I don’t want him signing anything other than one-year-deals, so he doesn’t get locked into a bad situation.

“I’ve seen what happens when people commit to a really good thing, and then it stops being that thing and those people are stuck.  If he finds his Winnipeg and wants to sign 14 one-year contracts to play a career there, great.  But the time for four, five-year contracts are done.”

Evans also admitted it is possible that he will be releasing a “Do Not Draft” list on behalf of his client near the end of the season, ahead of the SHL Draft.

“Is it something I’m proud of? No, not really,” said Evans.  “It’s certainly not something I would have considered, and I remember telling Nikolai when he started his career to never close a door.  But, again, the league has changed.

“There are definitely some teams, some ownership groups and management groups, who will look out for themselves first and their players second.  I’d be doing a disservice to Zdenko if I allowed him to end up in one of those places.  So that’s something we’re going to evaluate and work together on as his schedule allows and decide how far we want to take it.”

This could have significant ramifications on how the upcoming SHL Draft unfolds.  Beranek has been considered a promising prospect, and was drafted first overall by the expansion Quebec City Citadelles.  However, Evans isn’t worried about the impact this may have on Beranek’s draft stock.

“Ultimately, all of that’s just a number.  Look back at my draft.  Seven people, myself included, went off the board before arguably one of the greatest players ever, Jason Visser.  Alexis Metzler just went into the Hall of Fame and was drafted 13th.

“I’d much rather put Zdenko in a position to succeed long-term than worry about whether he’s drafted first overall, and he’s on the same page there.  For now, of course, the focus is giving his all for the Citadelles, and we’ll cross that bridge later.”

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Nice article man!

Cheers

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

[Image: 731700837939937330.png?v=1]

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2020, 11:58 PM by JSS.)

07-29-2020, 11:01 PMztevans Wrote: “I’ve seen what happens when people commit to a really good thing, and then it stops being that thing and those people are stuck.

[Image: cc9.png]

[Image: 3.png]

Bad guide tbh

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]