Create Account

Day 1 as Federation Head

I wake up in my apartment in Yokohama, the morning sun glaring over Mount Fuji. I’m greeted first by my Russian blue cat Sasha, who I’ve had since she was a kitten and I was still playing in Russia. I’m then greeted by Hitomi, my new rescue Shiba Inu. I start my day with my usual breakfast, although instead of the classic Tim Horton’s donut and coffee I’ve gotten accustomed to in Canada, I have a Pon de Ring with a Royal Milk Tea. After breakfast I head out for the first day. After leaving my Ford Mustang in Canada, I figured I needed a new car while I’m here in Japan. I head to my apartment’s garage, get in my Supra, and begin the drive to Tokyo.

Now you may be asking, how did a Russian end up leading Japan? Well that story mainly involves Canada. I was a young 3rd liner playing for Sibir Novosibirsk in Russia when I got the call that I was taken in the 4th round of the SMJHL draft by the Newfoundland Berserkers. While I struggled on the ice my rookie year, I tried my best to make my presence known off the ice and become a leader, a tactic that caught the attention of my GM, Ryuuji Minamino. After losing in the semi-finals of the playoffs, I entered the SHL draft, unsure of where I was going to go. People had seemed to take notice of my on-ice potential and off-ice presence, and I went in the 1st round to the Edmonton Blizzard. After training with them in the offseason, I returned to Newfoundland much improved, averaging almost a half point per game. But towards the end of the season, I had heard of an opening as the Federation Head of Japan. I had visited Japan on vacation and loved the country, and figured this was a chance for me to really make a name for myself and prove I belong. I talked through it with Ryuuji, and he said he too had some interest, and we should both apply to lead Japan together. A few days later: We received the news that we were the new Federation Heads! I was ecstatic and called Ryuuji immediately to share the excitement. I then called the head of Russia to let him know, and while it is hard to leave your country for another, he knew it was a good opportunity to grow personally and professionally, and wished me luck.

I pulled up outside of the facility in Tokyo, I was greeted by Ryuuji, who gave me the rundown. I’m so thankful for Ryuuji, as with both his knowledge of Japan and of leadership, he’s the perfect partner and mentor for me. We start by discussing strategy before meeting with the team. We all gather in the locker room and I get to meet the guys I’ll be helping lead for the future. There are some familiar faces, like Newfoundland alumni Martijn Westbroek, Lassi Suhonen, Disisde Dayudie, and Jack Klompus, as well as my current assistant captain partner in Newfoundland Shion Okamoto. There are also some new faces like the Smeb’s, Nicholas Owens, and SHL legend Monkey D. Luffy. I also got a chance to meet our players of the future, the guys we hope will carry on the next generation of Japan. Videl Valor, Satoru Gojo, Ryuuji Kawashima, and Senji Seteki, just to name a few. I introduced myself to everyone, and then we began our first practice. Here is where I noticed how special this team is. It was a standard hockey practice, nothing out of the ordinary, except for one thing.

The passion.

Seeing how hard these guys are willing to push themselves for their country. Seeing the young guys working so their names are called for the IIHF tournament. Watching these guys you could swear there were literal flames in their eyes. That’s when I knew we had a special group on our hands. One who has the drive to succeed and bring home the gold.

After a good day at the facility, Ryuuji invited me out to dinner at the local Bento restaurant. I have never had Bento, and figured it would be a good time and a good way for me to repay him for everything. While at dinner, Ryuuji wanted to talk about strategy and the future, and I of course just kept thanking him over and over for everything he’s done.

After a great night of Bento and sake, I returned home to my apartment and got ready for bed. I laid down on my bed, Sasha on my chest and Hitomi at my feet, falling slowly asleep after a good first day with my new team in Japan.

I hope I don’t let them down.

800 words, double media

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!