Create Account

S61 SMJHL Awards Head Press Conference
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2021, 06:16 PM by Matteo.)

Hey friends!

Excited to get into my last one of these things as SMJHL Awards Head! Before we do I want to give thanks to all the amazing people who have helped to make the committee run smoothly, from BadWolf who put up with me asking her to poke the GMs for Onoprienko noms each season, to Smith and Trashae for just being the best hosts anyone could ask for, to Trips for helping me get settled into this job, to the entire committee for making this season the best one yet, and to all of you for following along with the awards and never yelling at me too much!

If you want to see the nominees you can here, the vote counts can be found here, and I posted the winners here along with a little graphic for each one here.

Gonna start out by putting in a couple questions I got from some people already on the forums along with my answers, but feel free to ask me anything else Smile 

Quote:Why does the Harrak Trophy take more than the one season into account, and what does the committee look at when deciding who to give it to besides wins?
The Harrak used to take into account just the past season, but what would end up happening most of the time is that the top team in the league would just get all of the votes. Since we have other trophies for that, the Harrak was changed to take into account the past three seasons, so that way it takes into account the moves the GMs did to get to where they are now. One thing that the Harrak also takes into account which may surprise some people is how well a team performs given how many rookies or players under 425 TPE they have. For example this season Newfoundland finished 3rd in the league with 8 rookies on their team. Sure they didn't win any team awards, but a big part of why they were recognized this season was because of how good you have to be at the FHM tactics side of GMing to be able to make this one of the top teams in the league.

Quote:Can I have an explanation for why McFife took home the Agante this season?

The Agante is given to the best defenseman in the league, which includes how well they did both offensively and defensively. Offensively, McFife didn't score the most, but 50 points as a defenseman is an extremely strong season just on its own. Defensively, a positive GVA:TKA ratio helps a player's case a lot, as well as a good amount of blocked shots. Looking at advanced stats, McFife had really strong numbers across the board when you look at everything/60, and for Corsi (I'm a bigger fan of Corsi than Fenwick personally), Angus had a really good 61.3 cf%, which is of course helped from being on one of the top teams, which is why having a positive relative cf% is also very important. These are the biggest things I personally look at for the Agante, other committee members place a little bit different weight on different stats which is why McFife didn't win it unanimously, but having lots of different views is also part of what makes having a committee to decide on the awards is great. With 7 1st place votes, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd though, I don't think anyone can argue that McFife had an outstanding season.

Code:
Anyone can feel free to ask any more questions and I can edit the post, but right now I've got 543 words ready for grading :)

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]