Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #1 - Kelowna S71 Draft analysis
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2023, 02:11 AM by Scrufdaddy. Edited 4 times in total.)

So, the season has finally come to a close. Kelowna has finished 11th in the SMJHL out of 14 qualifiying teams, which many would say is "not great". With that said, I would like to believe that this is just the start of what should be quite the rebuild, so let's jump in to it. Despite the record, I think KEL has one of the stronger drafts in the league in S71 - and although they lost so many veteran players, a poor record was expected with the sheer amount of turnover. In sim leagues, building a core is how you need to do it and this IS potentially the core for the next 3 years in KEL. So lets see who they took and how they did - a deep dive into the draft selections for KEL and how they did - from a VALUE standpoint.

5th Overall Kelowna Knights - Rocky Orwell – 240 TPE – Defense
This was honestly not a bad selection at 5th overall. Perhaps maybe more of a late-first, early-second big board grade if you were to ask me looking back, but KEL has such a D shortage that this was a serious position of need. He racked up 30 points in 66 games mainly playing second line + PP, so the production is solid. With KEL potentially losing their top 2 defensemen entering next season, Rocky is the DUDE next season, so I grade this as an A- based on need and talent alone, mixed with performance. This is the guy KEL needs to keep earning for them to go all the way in the next 3 year window. 

20th Overall Kelowna Knights - Arthur Kaliyev – 240 TPE – Left Wing
Breaking a KEL record for rookie points in a season, with 53 points, I would deem this pick as a success for KEL. Based on TPE earning, the selection time at pick 20 seems just right and it could not have been a better fit this season for Kaliyev. I grade this as an A+, as I don't think I would change the choice if I could. KEL does have an abundance of LWers but I dont see that as a player issue. 

21st Overall Kelowna Knights - Trey Daniels – 207 TPE – Left Wing
I think this is a selection that KEL really wants back. Daniels probably has not lived up to the draft position, is almost 40 TPE points behind the teammate picked one spot earlier, and yeah, is also a LW.
There is lots of needs on this KEL team, and this is not one I liked and I think they could have chosen Philippe Le Bel (240 TPE – Defense) who was on the board, and was chosen 3 spots later. Not only a better earner, but fills a giant need on Defense. I would grade this as a C-, but Daniels really needs to pick it up if he wants to save the VALUE of his selection. 

34th overall Kelowna Knights - Activity Check – 249 TPE – Goalie
Good news for KEL, they likely got the best selection in the entire third round in AC, who is a monster TPE earner relative to the draft position, and a top 10 earner in the class overall. Yes, he is a goalie, but its a need for KEL with their starter likely graduating soon. A++ selection.

OVERALL, I like it. 75% of the picks are +EV value, and at minimum all four players should be contributers for the next three seasons!

662 WORDS!

Approved, +5 TPE to @Weaves

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]